Possible Candidates

LoyalZIP

1 minute ago, GJGood said:

Just wondering...How important is a northeast Ohio connection if the prospective coach has been successful in the past in more geographically talent deprived areas?

To me that is far down the list of prerequisites. Connections can be made, you can hire assistants with connections, you can pull talent in from elsewhere until they notice you (see TB), etc. Just win, baby.

6 minutes ago, GJGood said:

Just wondering...How important is a northeast Ohio connection if the prospective coach has been successful in the past in more geographically talent deprived areas?

Way down on the list in my opinion.  Hopefully, he's one of five or six applying.  What's the difference between division 2 and 3 football?  

4 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Kehres can interview during the season, but it is considered classless and a betrayal of the coach's (his) current team.

Interesting take considering this happens literally every year. See this year with NDSU's coach going to K State and last year with Scott Frost going to Nebraska, among numerous other examples. I hope that isn't holding Larry up. Regardless, you don't have to let the public know that you are interviewing someone/are taking an interview.

Edited by LZIp

12 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Interesting take considering this happens literally every year. See this year with NDSU's coach going to K State and last year with Scott Frost going to Nebraska, among numerous other examples. I hope that isn't holding Larry up. Regardless, you don't have to let the public know that you are interviewing someone/are taking an interview.

Only reason I asked is because I don't know D3 scheduling. I believe FBS coaches wait until the regular season is over and a lot of moves occur between then and bowl season. Not sure if lower levels wait for their entire season to end to interview, because I'm not sure how long of a break is in between regular season and playoffs/national championship

4 hours ago, GJGood said:

If the University is putting an emphasis on bringing in more students from Ohio due to finances seems it would be quite important. I am not just referring to Akron high schools. But a coach here has to be able to get the HS coaches to encourage kids to look at Akron more closely. There are certain positions which can be filled with good athletes from within Ohio. Skill position players will be harder to bring here because if they are really good they go to the P5 schools. Gotta keep good HS talent here. A head coach with few or no connections in Ohio is gonna find it much harder to talk to the HS coaches.

This whole thing parallels what is going on with our country.  People want to protest, tweet, complain but they don't have answers.  Common sense is gone!  To those that didn't want Jim Tressel as president....big mistake IMHO.  To those that have been calling for Terry Bowden's head - big mistake.  There was a great chance to capitalize on the "This is Akron" promo with Tressel, Dambrot, Lebron....I think Embick and Bowden could be lifers too.  Now we have a revolving door of presidents and coaches.  What's the plan folks?  This is what you want?

Edited by a-zip

13 hours ago, zzx said:

This timeline would make sense if they are to go with Arth. I'd imagine he is announced Jan 1 to avoid his buyout clause. I'd also guess they'd have some sort of handshake agreement so they can back channel recruits. 

13 hours ago, a-zip said:

This whole thing parallels what is going on with our country.  People want to protest, tweet, complain but they don't have answers.  Common sense is gone!  To those that didn't want Jim Tressel as president....big mistake IMHO.  To those that have been calling for Terry Bowden's head - big mistake.  There was a great chance to capitalize on the "This is Akron" promo with Tressel, Dambrot, Lebron....I think Embick and Bowden could be lifers too.  Now we have a revolving door of presidents and coaches.  What's the plan folks?  This is what you want?

Didn't realize that Tressel was that close to getting the UofA president's job. Lebron James and Terry Bowden were in Akron at the same time for several years before James decided to leave again. Dambrot was here also until 2 years ago. Were the three ever connected in a PR sense? Embick has also been here for a bit.

Sure AD Williams could hire another Ianello. He might hire a Jim Dennison(goes back to the last consistent winning period for the program) or Matt Campbell type.

Lets hope he has made the best decision to get the program to be a consistent winner, in the MAC year in and year out. Thats what HE gets PAID to do.

3 hours ago, gozips19 said:

This timeline would make sense if they are to go with Arth. I'd imagine he is announced Jan 1 to avoid his buyout clause. I'd also guess they'd have some sort of handshake agreement so they can back channel recruits. 

So you think we'd wait until almost 2 weeks after National Signing Day to announce our coach? I'd be horrified.

We shouldn't be in a hurry to select our new coach, but we need to be quick. If we didn't have a coach named by Monday December 17th I'd be profoundly concerned.

12 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

So you think we'd wait until almost 2 weeks after National Signing Day to announce our coach? I'd be horrified.

We shouldn't be in a hurry to select our new coach, but we need to be quick. If we didn't have a coach named by Monday December 17th I'd be profoundly concerned.

Please see the second part of my post. If the buyout is a concern then yes I can see them waiting two weeks. 

5 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Here is an interesting WKSU snippet from Terry Pluto (:zzz:) on Vince Kehres and Mount Union.  

Terry doesn't believe Vince will be a "Lifer" at Mount Union like his father was.

In fact, Terry says Vince interviewed for the KSUcks job last year and didn't get it.

If they said pass, then something is up(unless it was a $$$ issue).....

re D3 candidates ... I think winning programs just roll along... like good HS programs --  coaches just have to not screw things up. I think by and large, the recruiting process at D1 is a totally different animal. At D3 , you do recruit, but you have kids that seek you out, and depending upon the school, you can throw money at them. I have no idea how Mt Union operates.. recruits , what type of budget etc, but they have 110 guys on their roster and 64 are from out of state. Does Mt U recruit these guys? or do they end up there because they have a history of winning and if a kid is paying for school, they want to go somewhere to win?   The D1 game is different from  top to bottom imo... If I'm picking the next coach, I do so from the D1 ranks 

Kent State quit caring about their football program. This year they took 3 paycheck games, next year they're taking 3 paycheck games, and in 2020 they have 3 paycheck games. They already have 2 paycheck games scheduled for 2021 with 1 open date still left to schedule. You can just start penciling them in for 1-3 OOC records.

Edited by kreed5120

7 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Kent State quit caring about their football program. This year they took 3 paycheck games, next year they took 3 paycheck games, and in 2020 they have 3 paycheck games. They already have 2 paycheck games scheduled for 2021 with 1 open date still left to schedule. You can just start penciling them in for 1-3 OOC records.

I think your being generous with the 1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

As much as it pains me to say it, Laing Kennedy made some pretty good coaching hires in his time at PCCC.

In football? They haven't had a decent coach since Don James. 

You could make arguments for Dean Pees or Doug Martin, but they fired them. So even when they hire a decent guy, they're too dumb to keep him.

Darrell Hazell? Two seasons at Kent. Bombed at Purdue.

42 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

In football? They haven't had a decent coach since Don James. 

You could make arguments for Dean Pees or Doug Martin, but they fired them. So even when they hire a decent guy, they're too dumb to keep him.

Darrell Hazell? Two seasons at Kent. Bombed at Purdue.

Agreed that the coaching has not been as good in football as in basketball, but Glen Mason, Pees, Martin and Hazell were pretty solid in their time there. 

On the topic of their coaching hires, here's hoping Mr. Pinky outlasts every coach in PCCC history!

• Like 1