Possible Candidates

LoyalZIP

I’m hoping there is a lot of smoke here.  I’m not big on Arth & I can’t see us paying his buyout.  If your going to do that pay more & get a name that motivates the community.  I’m thinking Kehres probably makes the most financial sense, gets people excited & probably your best long term candidate.  If your willing to spend more & reach financially a little I think Getsy would be a big hit & more of a rent a coach until a P5 comes calling

Edited by 94zipgrad
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I don't care about getting a coach that creates headlines with their hire. We had that with Bowden. A name loses its significance if it can't put a competitive team on the field. I don't know the ins and outs of all these coaches, but give me the guy whose best at recruiting and developing talent.

Whatever the case, this was a wasted year.  After the Cherry Bowl, LW should have canned Bowden.  Embarrassed the University.  LW can take what time is necessary to make right this situation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

I don't care about getting a coach that creates headlines with their hire. We had that with Bowden. A name loses its significance if it can't put a competitive team on the field. I don't know the ins and outs of all these coaches, but give me the guy whose best at recruiting and developing talent.

His resume better create headlines or you already lost the 1st battle in energizing your base & keeping your players & recruits.  Sorry, but that is how it works, not saying a guy who doesn’t do that can’t succeed but it adds a couple years to the process & getting his players

Edited by 94zipgrad

14 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Worthlessfootballrumors.com reports that online forum bloviator ClarkWGriswold is a candidate for the Akron job, bringing the total number of reported candidates to 967.

I kinda like this Griswold guy....he could really “light things up”, and put up a helluva display to the neighboring communities...:lol:

11 minutes ago, zvillezip said:

Recruit! Recruit! Recruit!  

I hope he is the guy to take us to the next level.

Now get out and Recruit!

The 3 guys he recently fired at UTC were his hires.  One he brought from John Carroll.  He's obviously not afraid to make the tough personnel decisions and in this case correct his own mistakes.   

Edited by NWAkron

A little worried about his poor 9-13 record at an FCS team, so I took a deeper look. Last year they finished 3-8, while winning 2 of the last 3 (their lone loss was by 3 pts in double OT). This year Chattanooga ended the year playing South Carolina, 49-9 (Zips only managed 3). They started the year off 4-0, but only ended the year 6-5. They lost to the top 4 teams in the league to finish 5th.  I wouldn't hold losses to LSU or USC against him. What does worry me, is that in the 3 years leading up to his arrival Chattanooga posted records of 10-4, 9-4, and 9-4. Did they have a mass exodus of players? Why did they drop down to 3-8? Maybe someone that follows FCS can shed some light. 

2 minutes ago, tpsjugglerdude said:

A little worried about his poor 9-13 record at an FCS team, so I took a deeper look. Last year they finished 3-8, while winning 2 of the last 3 (their lone loss was by 3 pts in double OT). This year Chattanooga ended the year playing South Carolina, 49-9 (Zips only managed 3). They started the year off 4-0, but only ended the year 6-5. They lost to the top 4 teams in the league to finish 5th.  I wouldn't hold losses to LSU or USC against him. What does worry me, is that in the 3 years leading up to his arrival Chattanooga posted records of 10-4, 9-4, and 9-4. Did they have a mass exodus of players? Why did they drop down to 3-8? Maybe someone that follows FCS can shed some light. 

I read somewhere that there was a major turnover with players.  And I'm sure Larry, George, and John Green followed up on that.

6 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

I kinda like this Griswold guy....he could really “light things up”, and put up a helluva display to the neighboring communities...:lol:

I think I like him more than Arth, but time will tell. From what I have heard this Griswold guy has never lost a game! :bow:

• Like 1

While disappointed that I was passed over, I am hopeful for Arth.  At this point, I am in "wait and see" mode.  I am concerned with the following sentence in one of the articles above-  "Akron was the last opening at the FBS level in the 2018-19 coaching cycle as of this writing."

I am afraid the South Carolina game, which at this point meant nothing but a payday, put Akron a step behind.