Possible Candidates

LoyalZIP

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I am afraid the South Carolina game, which at this point meant nothing but a payday, put Akron a step behind.

I do believe the decision to let TB go was already decided before the South Carolina game, but I have been wrong before.  And if I'm wrong, then the SC game meant everything in cementing the change of coaches.

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

While disappointed that I was passed over, I am hopeful for Arth.  At this point, I am in "wait and see" mode.  I am concerned with the following sentence in one of the articles above-  "Akron was the last opening at the FBS level in the 2018-19 coaching cycle as of this writing."

I am afraid the South Carolina game, which at this point meant nothing but a payday, put Akron a step behind.

I would go further and say LW's not firing Bowden after the Cherry Bowl put us a MILE behind.

10 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

I do believe the decision to let TB go was already decided before the South Carolina game, but I have been wrong before.  And if I'm wrong, then the SC game meant everything in cementing the change of coaches.

The decision may have been made but the game delayed them from moving forward while other teams were already on the hunt

3 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Most division II guys are two stars, most division III guys aren't.

Seems like Williams had pretty much made up his mind. Looks like he wanted a guy with NFL experience. Wanted somebody who was familiar with this part of the country. And wanted somebody UofA could afford. He gets 5 years. Has to be over .500 in the MAC.

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2018 at 9:00 AM, Dr Z said:

Wouldn't that be great. I think coach Bowden/Amato/Stroud/others leave the team in decent shape, so it's a possibility. I'm sure some will fail to recall this eventually, but not me. The next coach will step into a potential winner day one. That was not possible six years ago. 

I hope the next coach is good at recruiting top MAC talent. If someone can tell me who that is, I'll throw my support behind that candidate. Otherwise, I can't pretend to know if any name mentioned in this thread would succeed. I don't know much about hiring an FBS head coach, but I would certainly give coach Stroud an interview, if he wanted it. Whomever the new coaches are, I'm intrigued to watch a new offense next season. 

Coach Stroud is headed to Coral Gables with Manny Diaz at the U. Diaz worked with Stroud in Raleigh. Coach Stroud, developed a number of notable players. Back in 2006 when he was at NC State, three of Stroud's linemen– Mario Williams, Manny Lawson, and John McCargo – were first round selections in the NFL Draft.

I wish him all the success in the world. One of the top two football minds that I have had the pleasure of knowing, and talking football with at Akron. I visit the Miami area often, and now have a good reason to see a game there. 

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:01 PM, 94zipgrad said:

https://twitter.com/cftalk/status/1075839908881649664?s=21

Someone on here was advocating talking to this coach as a possible candidate, PJ Fleck landed him on his staff

That was me. I thought if we were looking for someone up and coming that this guy certainly fit the bill. No real Ohio or western PA connections as far as I know but he really seems to get the most out of his players. Plus if you can recruit to Maine I would guess you could recruit to Akron. Arth may end up being a great hire and the best candidate the Zips could have gotten. I don't know. I just would have liked to see Harasymiak contacted or interviewed.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Spitballing here but perhaps he had feedback on his D-1 coaching prospects that it would be beneficial to help on a D-1 staff before making the jump to HC at an FBS school

I forget where I heard/read this (Joe Dunn?), but word on the street was he applied for both the KSUcks job and the Akron gig and got neither.  He needed at least a little experience at a higher level.  Idk.  I was pulling for him to get the Akron gig.  (Not that I'm bitter about it; I'm an Arth fan now.)  Go Zips.