Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LoyalZIP

Possible Candidates

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, a-zip said:

This hire, regardless of who it is, will show LW's philosophy. It's apparent it will be a young "up and comer" who's tenure will be dictated by how quick the success will be.

 

I predict if the new coach gets off to a fast start LW will be off to Cincinnati lickety-split.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

... if the new coach gets off to a fast start...

Wouldn't that be great. I think coach Bowden/Amato/Stroud/others leave the team in decent shape, so it's a possibility. I'm sure some will fail to recall this eventually, but not me. The next coach will step into a potential winner day one. That was not possible six years ago. 

 

I hope the next coach is good at recruiting top MAC talent. If someone can tell me who that is, I'll throw my support behind that candidate. Otherwise, I can't pretend to know if any name mentioned in this thread would succeed. I don't know much about hiring an FBS head coach, but I would certainly give coach Stroud an interview, if he wanted it. Whomever the new coaches are, I'm intrigued to watch a new offense next season. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

I'm intrigued to watch a new offense next season. 

This is kinda where I am at...so tired of watching the product (I know everybody, "injuries", "depth", "Milwee"....spare me) that's followed those early exciting offense-minded display in TB's first two seasons.  Not equivalent, but it's the same way I feel about the basketball team right now with JG.  I'm intrigued and enjoying watching a new system, a new style.  Maybe not winning as much as KD yet, but it is sure more enjoyable to me than the style played prior.

 

And sometimes that new system, or new style, puts butts in seats, and we so need that right now, a new look-see by Joe Akron.  Of course we then need to perform enough to get them back, but they're not coming back based on what they saw the last season.

Edited by ZipsVoice
Had a brain fart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Wouldn't that be great. I think coach Bowden/Amato/Stroud/others leave the team in decent shape, so it's a possibility. I'm sure some will fail to recall this eventually, but not me. The next coach will step into a potential winner day one. That was not possible six years ago. 

 

I hope the next coach is good at recruiting top MAC talent. If someone can tell me who that is, I'll throw my support behind that candidate. Otherwise, I can't pretend to know if any name mentioned in this thread would succeed. I don't know much about hiring an FBS head coach, but I would certainly give coach Stroud an interview, if he wanted it. Whomever the new coaches are, I'm intrigued to watch a new offense next season. 

 

As critical as I have been of the Bowden administration, I do have to concede they've left the program in a better condition than they found it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

 

As critical as I have been of the Bowden administration, I do have to concede they've left the program in a better condition than they found it.

Any half competent coach could have done the same. When you're at the bottom there is only 1 direction that you can go.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TB took our program to the highest level it's ever been by just about any measure you want to look at. Sh!t, its the end of the season and Northwestern played in the B1G championship and is ranked! Saying any chump could've done it is ridiculous, because nobody else has. TB did a great job getting our program back to its peak, we just need a new guy that can take us up a level, because unfortunately the peak is pretty depressing.

 

There is quite a bit of talent on the roster (assuming the new coach can keep it). The recipe is right to take the program up a notch and do it quick.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2005 MAC Championship with JD Brookhart was the best accomplishment the program made.  Bowl games are nice but MAC champions should always be the greatest goal.

 

Edited by footballzip
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LZIp said:

TB took our program to the highest level it's ever been by just about any measure you want to look at. Sh!t, its the end of the season and Northwestern played in the B1G championship and is ranked! Saying any chump could've done it is ridiculous, because nobody else has. TB did a great job getting our program back to its peak, we just need a new guy that can take us up a level, because unfortunately the peak is pretty depressing.

 

There is quite a bit of talent on the roster (assuming the new coach can keep it). The recipe is right to take the program up a notch and do it quick.

I said any chump could have improved us from the 1-11 record we were, which is true. Even a coach that consistently went 4-8 would have been an improvement over the dumpster fire we were before. Bowden made huge strides early on, which I acknowledged and have thanked him for in the past. The program never really made that next leap which is why he's gone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Any half competent coach could have done the same. When you're at the bottom there is only 1 direction that you can go.

Speaking of chumps....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arth and Kehres May be excellent coaches and fantastic hires. I don’t know. I guess my concern is that they may have built up such stellar records in D3 because JCU and MU simply always have vastly more talent than their opponents. Is the reason for the success the talent? How much of it is/was coaching? 

 

I guess I don’t see the Zips having the talent to overwhelm their opponents in the way Arth and Kheres have done in D3 with their squads. I am not saying they coulsn’t do it, only that it is a long way from D3 to FBS and Akron has not exactly been a perennial power at their level.

 

I will be behind whoever is hired 100% but I wanted to hear what others thought about transitioning from a D3 power to the MAC and how important everyone thinks it is that the coach have a northern Ohio background.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, GJGood said:

 

 

I will be behind whoever is hired 100% but I wanted to hear what others thought about transitioning from a D3 power to the MAC and how important everyone thinks it is that the coach have a northern Ohio background.

I thought those reports that document that a certain coach may want to come here because they once lived in Euclid or Ravenna or wherever are pretty stupid.  Hell maybe the wife hates her in-laws and the weather and wants to be far away from NE Ohio 🤔.  Other than that I have no relevant input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, GJGood said:

Arth and Kehres May be excellent coaches and fantastic hires. I don’t know. I guess my concern is that they may have built up such stellar records in D3 because JCU and MU simply always have vastly more talent than their opponents. Is the reason for the success the talent? How much of it is/was coaching? 

 

I guess I don’t see the Zips having the talent to overwhelm their opponents in the way Arth and Kheres have done in D3 with their squads. I am not saying they coulsn’t do it, only that it is a long way from D3 to FBS and Akron has not exactly been a perennial power at their level.

 

I will be behind whoever is hired 100% but I wanted to hear what others thought about transitioning from a D3 power to the MAC and how important everyone thinks it is that the coach have a northern Ohio background.

Nice talking point. My initial thought is why are we so sure that Mount and JCU always have vastly superior talent to their opponents? Mount, while they do have a great reputation, is in the middle of nowhere. JCU is in Cleveland, but there is plenty of competition here with various universities. Capital and Otterbein are in Columbus.

 

JCU has a solid reputation as well (London Fletcher and various guys on NFL staffs/Front offices), but the program definitely improved significantly when Arth was there. They were a .500 team before he became HC and were one right after he left (though this year was better).

 

Lance Liepold, Buffalo's coach, previously from UW-Whitewater, was the equivalent of the Kehres coaches at Mount Union. I think he's shown that it *can* be the coaching, as that hire seems to be working out alright for Buffalo.

 

Maybe I am wrong, but we seem to be in a fickle spot. I don't think we can't afford top coordinators at big time programs any more (Yurich at OK St, Getsy at Miss St) with our financial situation and the ridiculous inflation of P5 assistant coaches, unless they want to take a pay cut. Buffalo having the success they are makes me feel better about a dominant coach at the D3 level. Arth's lack of success at the FCS level is something that should be questioned, but if its explainable then its explainable. I've read he just got his OC from John Carroll back on staff, who just finished a season 4-0 as interim OC at EKU (another FCS school), so I would think his offense will look better no matter if its with us or UT-C. He also fired a few other coaches who weren't getting the job done, something I'm not sure TB ever did. His stop at the FCS level before coming to FBS could have been the perfect place to get his feet wet with taking it up a notch and recruiting. Hopefully the learning curve has flattened out for him if he is indeed the guy. He seems to have the respect of a lot of people.

 

I'll support whoever, assuming the hire doesn't come out of left field somewhere, like the RB coach at Texas Tech or something (looking at you BG). I just hope Larry W does proper due diligence and at least interviews a few different candidates.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Post from the UT-C message board: "I heard Arth and Akron have come to terms." Who knows how reputable the poster is, however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Post from the UT-C message board: "I heard Arth and Akron have come to terms." Who knows how reputable the poster is, however.

 

If true, I believe Williams has had Arth pegged for a while. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Post from the UT-C message board: "I heard Arth and Akron have come to terms." Who knows how reputable the poster is, however.

Color me skeptical

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2018 at 9:08 PM, zipsoutsider said:

Speaking of chumps....

I wasn't referring to you, but if the crown fits...

Edited by kreed5120

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, GJGood said:

 

I will be behind whoever is hired 100% but I wanted to hear what others thought about transitioning from a D3 power to the MAC and how important everyone thinks it is that the coach have a northern Ohio background.

Any candidate Akron hires is going to have something about them will create some worry. All the guys who check all the boxes already have jobs at the big time programs. Personally, like you I'm going into it with an open mind and will support whoever we get.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×