Possible Candidates

LoyalZIP

19 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I think Tom Arth is a non-starter considering his record at UTC.

I even went and looked at UTC record before Arth went there thinking that maybe he just inherited a very poor program. Nope, they were winning 9-10 games each year leading up to his arrival. I'll be very disappointed if he's the guy.

32 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I even went and looked at UTC record before Arth went there thinking that maybe he just inherited a very poor program. Nope, they were winning 9-10 games each year leading up to his arrival. I'll be very disappointed if he's the guy.

My best friend works at UTC and Arth is not a favorite there.  

1 hour ago, ZachTheZip said:

Since Williams played in the NFL I wonder how much he values bringing some of that experience to the college level?Obviously, some of these guys fit that bill. I also like the guys who have a background in this area and in Western Penna. There is some really good football played in the D-II PSAC. They would be familiar with recruiting procedures as well as talent in and around here. Would Kehres be willing or ready to jump into the whole recruiting thing? 

As an aside to Kehres,does anybody remember if UofA ever seriously pursued Larry way back when?

1 hour ago, Lee Adams said:

Since Williams played in the NFL I wonder how much he values bringing some of that experience to the college level?Obviously, some of these guys fit that bill. I also like the guys who have a background in this area and in Western Penna. There is some really good football played in the D-II PSAC. They would be familiar with recruiting procedures as well as talent in and around here. Would Kehres be willing or ready to jump into the whole recruiting thing? 

As an aside to Kehres,does anybody remember if UofA ever seriously pursued Larry way back when?

Duquesne has made the FCS playoffs frequently the last few years. Is there anybody there worth looking at?

2 hours ago, Lee Adams said:

UA didn't. But Kent did.

"Over the years, I often talked to Kehres. I knew he had been offered chances to coach at Princeton, UMass and Kent State.

He was tempted by Kent, because he would not have had to move. That was in 1997 after winning his third national title. But in the end, he stayed home."

3 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Getsy would be the biggest name I think.. not 100% sold on him yet, but he sure would bring some excitement back on day 1

I would love to see him get the job. I don't think he'd fail...he's just too football-smart, and driven.

Joe Moorhead wanted the Zips job seven years ago, but UA hired Bowden instead.

That Moorhead chose Getsy as his OC at Mississippi State tells you all you need to know.

I got to know his parents a little during his stint at Akron. Fantastic people. A great football family. The thing that stood out to me about Luke was - he always conducted himself as an absolute "pro." He never said a bad word about any of his teammates after a game. He's very analytical. I remember at one scrimmage Chev Pace hit him late on a blitz, even though, as the QB,  he was wearing a red shirt. Getsy barked at him, "Chev! That was LATE!" Pace sort of put his tail between his legs and shuffled back to the D side. I probably can't explain in text how an action so simple spoke so much to me about his leadership , but I still remember it 14 years later. Everyone on the team respected him.

To me, Luke Getsy is classy, he's a pro, he's driven, he's got an incredible football acumen, he's paid his dues and increased his responsibilities at every step through his coaching career, he's got great morals, he's a great leader, he's young and motivated, he knows the area, he's a University of Akron graduate...I don't see how UA could go wrong hiring him.

Does he have previous HC experience? No. But if you're at Akron, you need to think outside the box. Hire Luke Getsy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I would love to see him get the job. I don't think he'd fail...he's just too football-smart, and driven.

Joe Moorhead wanted the Zips job seven years ago, but UA hired Bowden instead.

That Moorhead chose Getsy as his OC at Mississippi State tells you all you need to know.

I got to know his parents a little during his stint at Akron. Fantastic people. A great football family. The thing that stood out to me about Luke was - he always conducted himself as an absolute "pro." He never said a bad word about any of his teammates after a game. He's very analytical. I remember at one scrimmage Chev Pace hit him late on a blitz, even though, as the QB,  he was wearing a red shirt. Getsy barked at him, "Chev! That was LATE!" Pace sort of put his tail between his legs and shuffled back to the D side. I probably can't explain in text how an action so simple spoke so much to me about his leadership , but I still remember it 14 years later. Everyone on the team respected him.

To me, Luke Getsy is classy, he's a pro, he's driven, he's got an incredible football acumen, he's paid his dues and increased his responsibilities at every step through his coaching career, he's got great morals, he's a great leader, he's young and motivated, he knows the area, he's a University of Akron graduate...I don't see how UA could go wrong hiring him.

Does he have previous HC experience? No. But if you're at Akron, you need to think outside the box. Hire Luke Getsy.

I agree @Captain Kangaroo, I googled searched him & read several articles on him, one was about how he was a rising star with the Packers.    Another about Moorhead and how he had given him his first opportunity & how he went after him when he got the Mississippi State job.  Another discussing how dynamic their offense is together, it got fairly detailed talking about what makes the offense work.

I believe this would be a good hire, 34 years old, energetic, has done well at every opportunity he has been given and I do understand if he came here & succeeded he would move on to better things.  I’m ok with that because IMO if the program is successful trying to find the next up & comer will be easier to find

Edited by 94zipgrad

Mississippi State's offense (who returned a ton of talent from last season) looks like this for 2018: 70th in the nation for total offense, 175 yds passing/game, 226 rushing yards/game, 29.1ppg.

The QB rushed for 1,000 yards, leading RB rushed for 700 yards, leading WR had 385 yards.

2017 (prior to Moorhead/Getsy):  43rd in total offense, 167 passing/game , 252 rush/game, 32ppg.

2 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Mississippi State's offense (who returned a ton of talent from last season) looks like this for 2018: 70th in the nation for total offense, 175 yds passing/game, 226 rushing yards/game, 29.1ppg.

The QB rushed for 1,000 yards, leading RB rushed for 700 yards, leading WR had 385 yards.

2017 (prior to Moorhead/Getsy):  43rd in total offense, 167 passing/game , 252 rush/game, 32ppg.

The offensive discussion was also about Penn State year they won the B1G and Moorhead and their philosophy 

14 minutes ago, Balsy said:

If Tom Arth is hired as coach of the Akron Zips, I'm done.  That hire would give me 0 confidence in the future of the program.  At least Terry had winning seasons at Northern Alabama and had the Bowden name...

6-5 this season with a loss to South Carolina (put up 3x more pts against the Gamecocks than Division I Akron did). This is an improvement from the 3-8 campaign in his first season as HC last year. That's a SOLID turn around, and this season included a victory over #17 Samford (doesn't like much to us, but probably a good win for them). 

This, following a 40-8 resume at John Carroll. Does wake George Thomas up? No, but nobody aside from hiring Urban Meyer would do that. However, being done with a program if they hire a guy with a 49-21 career HC record is quite ridiculous. Not to mention the guy probably has better connections to recruit NEO than he does Chattanooga, TN. 

My top choice would be an offensive mind from one of these top offensive programs as previously mentioned in one of my posts, with preference #2 being Getsy. However, if we're suggesting Mount Union's coach, Arth isn't TOO far off from him. 

48 minutes ago, Balsy said:

If Tom Arth is hired as coach of the Akron Zips, I'm done.  That hire would give me 0 confidence in the future of the program.  At least Terry had winning seasons at Northern Alabama and had the Bowden name...

Have you seen his record at JCU?