Game 7- Alabama State

clarkwgriswold

The 2-3 Alabama State Hornets come to the JAR Wednesday night.  They've beaten LaGrange and Birmingham Southern and lost to Iowa State, South Dakota State and Iowa.  6-3 junior guard Reginald Lee leads the Hornets at 16.4 ppg.  6-8 sophomore center Brandon Johnson (from Garfield Heights) leads all rebounders at 8 rpg.  They average 75 ppg.  

The Zips handled the Yellow Jackets of Cedarville.  Here's hoping they handle their cousins, the Hornets.

• Haha 1

Some facts about Alabama State:

Alabama State University (ASU), founded in 1867, is a public historically black university located in Montgomery, Alabama, United States. ASU is a member-school of the Thurgood Marshall College Fund.

Alabama State University has nearly 6,000 students from more than 42 states and over twenty countries.

Sports teams participate in NCAA Division I (FCS – Football Championship Subdivision for football) in the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC), which it joined in 1982. 

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Alabama State University (ASU), founded in 1867, is a public historically black university located in Montgomery, Alabama, United States. ASU is a member-school of the Thurgood Marshall College Fund.

Alabama State University has nearly 6,000 students from more than 42 states and over twenty countries.

Sports teams participate in NCAA Division I (FCS – Football Championship Subdivision for football) in the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC), which it joined in 1982. 

You forgot Alabama State is coming off of consecutive 8-23 seasons. Coppin State by any other name...;)

Edited by ewbrooman1

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The Hornets are in town.   Feel the buzz.

According to Google, only the Queen hornets survive during the winter. Winter is the worker's & male's demise. 

72-0 is my prediction based on this. The Yellow Jackets of Cedarville were acclimated to this weather being from Ohio, but the Hornets of the State of Alabama do not have such a bright future, I fear. 

Women's basketball would apparently be different though! 

• Haha 3

Tale of two halves.  Very ugly first half then they got into the flow in the second half.  Alabama State is pretty damn awful

Very encouraged by Jeremy Roscoe.  He's substantially better than I anticipated.

It looks like Groce is starting to settle into a rotation and experimenting with things to get ready for the MAC.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Tale of two halves.  Very ugly first half then they got into the flow in the second half.  Alabama State is pretty damn awful

Very encouraged by Jeremy Roscoe.  He's substantially better than I anticipated.

It looks like Groce is starting to settle into a rotation and experimenting with things to get ready for the MAC.

I didn't see tonight's game, but I think Roscoe has a high ceiling. I bet it took him a little while longer than the others to pick up the defensive scheme. No defense, no tick. I want to see him be even more aggressive at attacking the lane. We will need more slashers than just Jackson when we play tougher defenses.

What is the verdict on Toles performance tonight?

8 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

I didn't see tonight's game, but I think Roscoe has a high ceiling. I bet it took him a little while longer than the others to pick up the defensive scheme. No defense, no tick. I want to see him be even more aggressive at attacking the lane. We will need more slashers than just Jackson when we play tougher defenses.

What is the verdict on Toles performance tonight?

It may have just been the lame competition, but Tyler Cheese was slashing and had a perfect stroke on his 3 pointers.  

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

He gave solid minutes.  Hustles.  I don't believe he shot the ball last night.  

I am now an ESPN+ member and just finished watching the game. I'm not surprised Toles hurt his back, he is a plus level effort/hustle guy for sure. Constantly on the deck. I thought he was going to pass out when he took a knee to the family jewels. :(

Happy to see Ivey and Cheese driving hard and E-man is making progress offensively as well. Listening to our commentators, they got the memo; slash, slash, slash. The Zips had difficulty at times driving against the better competition in the Caymans. We have a bunch of guys that can do it, they just need to be more aggressive and confident.

Edited by Illini Zip

On 11/25/2018 at 8:41 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

I was thinking of attending this contest, but thanks to your post I realized The opponent was not my fav, Alabama State from Montgomery, Alabama, Bolivia.

• Haha 1