Game 8- Detroit Mercy Titans

clarkwgriswold

At last, a decent team, the Detroit Mercy Titans, comes to the JAR Saturday evening.  Detroit is led by freshman Antoine Davis, the second leading scorer in the country at 30 ppg.  There is indeed an advantage to being the coach's kid, as the head coach is Antoine's dad.  The JAR hasn't seen a father/son, coach/player combo like this since the McDermotts with Creighton.

Detroit Mercy may as well join the MAC.  They are 3-4, with wins against BGSU and EMU and losses to WMU and PCCC.

14 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

At last, a decent team, the Detroit Mercy Titans, comes to the JAR Saturday evening.  Detroit is led by freshman Antoine Davis, the second leading scorer in the country at 30 ppg.  There is indeed an advantage to being the coach's kid, as the head coach is Antoine's dad.  The JAR hasn't seen a father/son, coach/player combo like this since the McDermotts with Creighton.

And before that, Central Michigan and before that we had our own version (but we won't go there)

I just realized that Detroit's coach, Mike Davis, is the same Mike Davis that coached Indiana a while back.  I think he succeeded Bobby Knight.  I see that Mike Davis Jr.. is one of his assistants.  Between that and his other kid being on the team, he's get the full benefit of Detroit Mercy!

Here's a nice pre-season preview of the Titans-

http://horizonleague.org/news/2018/10/22/mens-basketball-2018-19-hlmbb-preview-detroit-mercy.aspx

The Zips have been taking a lot of 3 point attempts and are ranked 25th in the nation in 3 point attempts.  But we rank 189th in percentage made.  In other words we love the 3 point shot but we just don't sink a whole lot.  We are currently shooting 33% on 3 pointers.  This reminds me of the kd teams that just loved to shoot the 3.  I would like to see Utomi take the ball inside and finish inside.  He seems to hesitate after driving to the basket and get stuck underneath looking for an option.  About two thirds of his attempts are from the 3 line.   I like the way this team pushes the ball up the court and they seem to be playing better defense.  Looking for a Zips win.   

Pretty good ball movement. Not surprised by number of 3s. Nature of the beast against the zone. Need a little better spacing and to finish strong at the hoop when the opportunities are there.

2nd half let's cut down on the turnovers and I think all will be ok,