Terry's next endeavor

ZippyRulz

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Cykron said:

Seems odd for Bowden to stay around in any meaningful capacity, particularly with a young coach who needs to establish his own identity properly.  

Cykron....we have a history of doing this sorta thing, put the ex in a capacity that interacts with community and donors, maybe a few recruits, but for the most part staying away from the program.  Gerry Faust did it, is still doing it.  We even had Tressel "teaching" a class after he left OSU and before he became Prez of YSU...

57 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

Cykron....we have a history of doing this sorta thing, put the ex in a capacity that interacts with community and donors, maybe a few recruits, but for the most part staying away from the program.  Gerry Faust did it, is still doing it.  We even had Tressel "teaching" a class after he left OSU and before he became Prez of YSU...

Not sure what to think about that.  It is such a cut-throat business.  Is it really that congenial?  Or is just a way to reduce the cost of buying out someone's contract?  Its not like Bowden's roots in the area are that deep.  Maybe you Akron people are just that nice.  :bow:

12 hours ago, zipsfan15 said:

Bowden married an Akron girl last year, so my guess is he knows he isn't going to get another big time job, so why not stick around?  

Evidently he doesn't mind the average snowfall and mean temps of NEO in the winter....versus FLA???  :thumb:

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

It didn't go all that well with Faust at first though.  When Lee Owens first came in, Faust was still trying to show up at practices and sit in on coaches' meetings.  Owens had to let him know in no uncertain terms that this wasn't welcome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InTheZone said:

It didn't go all that well with Faust at first though.  When Lee Owens first came in, Faust was still trying to show up at practices and sit in on coaches' meetings.  Owens had to let him know in no uncertain terms that this wasn't welcome.

I didn't know that. Lol.  Faust gives the vibe of a sweet, loyal, but slightly naive old man.  (I mean that in a flattering way.)  He was at the Zips basketball game on Saturday.  I'll probably see him again tonight.  I hope Terry sticks around for a long time.  Like Faust, I think he's now an Akron icon.  And what an interesting personality to have on campus.

On 12/17/2018 at 1:02 PM, Cykron said:

Seems odd for Bowden to stay around in any meaningful capacity, particularly with a young coach who needs to establish his own identity properly.  

Once the decision was made by Williams I wish Bowden had at least offered to retire. He certainly doesn't need the money Akron is going to have to pay him to maintain his lifestyle. He can go back to TV or maybe get a job at a lower level school. I agree that this is a situation the new AD and new coach probably do not want OR need. This needs to be Williams' and Arth's program. Don't need any 'ghosts'. They sink or swim with it.

I would heartily suggest that Akron fans read the Crain's Business article about the severe financial issues the University has in general and athletics has specifically.

That article makes it appear that Williams and The University need to succeed here on the field and financially or there may be bigger changes coming.

Edited by Lee Adams
emphasis

9 hours ago, Lee Adams said:

Once the decision was made by Williams I wish Bowden had at least offered to retire. He certainly doesn't need the money Akron is going to have to pay him to maintain his lifestyle. He can go back to TV or maybe get a job at a lower level school. I agree that this is a situation the new AD and new coach probably do not want OR need. This needs to be Williams' and Arth's program. Don't need any 'ghosts'. They sink or swim with it.

I would heartily suggest that Akron fans read the Crain's Business article about the severe financial issues the University has in general and athletics has specifically.

That article makes it appear that Williams and The University need to succeed here on the field and financially or there may be bigger changes coming.

Yeah.  I'm surprised how okay everyone seems with having former head coaches hanging around.  On one hand, it is great that they are still supportive of the program.  However, on the other hand, it is impossible not to exert influence that is awkward at best.  Hope it works out for you.  Maybe in a better world, this is how it should be.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lee Adams said:

Once the decision was made by Williams I wish Bowden had at least offered to retire. He certainly doesn't need the money Akron is going to have to pay him to maintain his lifestyle. 

If someone promised to pay me $600,000, I ain’t retiring and forfeiting it. Especially not to the place that fired me.

Bowden would have been happy to coach the next two seasons, but UA told him to hit the bricks. UA knew the deal...they wrote it. 

If if you want to play “big boy” football, you know eating the last two years of a fired coach’s contract is part of the deal. A $600,000 dinner bill is chump change in D-1 football. If it isn’t for UA, it isn’t Bowden’s fault.

If Arth doesn’t pan out, the buyout will probably be $1,000,000. I hope he pans out ...not to save the money...but because it would be fun. It’s been a long time since Zips football has been bandwagon-inducing fun. 

• Like 1