Terry's next endeavor

ZippyRulz

3 hours ago, bobbyake said:

Akron should have never fired Bowden is what a good majority of Akron alumni believe, and the way Bowden was fired with years left on his contract for an unproven coach was a reckless decision and we’re lucky the program is still D1 at this point. I’m expecting Arth to be a failure but I would love to be proven wrong. This program is in a sad state and I’d rather drive to Kent to watch Kent State play than go to a Zips game if I was looking to watch local D1 football program. There’s no excitement about the Zips, Arth doesn’t bring excitement. He’s no Caleb Porter.

Good majority of Akron alumni?  Hardly.  If you are going to come on here and be hateful and destructive and constantly rehash the firing of an average coach, then back up your statements with facts or just travel to Ravenna for a good time. 

8 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Good majority of Akron alumni?  Hardly.  If you are going to come on here and be hateful and destructive and constantly rehash the firing of an average coach, then back up your statements with facts or just travel to Ravenna for a good time. 

Like you're defending the firing of Bowden by calling him an "average coach" yet...are we average now?

The primary argument for why Akron fields D-1 sports is the "advertising" dollars. Akron literally just played Auburn. How much press did Akron get from Tom Arth playing Auburn vs. what Akron would have had with Terry Bowden at the helm? You can't seriously make the argument that it was better.

Average or not, Terry Bowden had a "name" and in college football that objectively matters more in terms of the state goal of advertising $$$. It also is objectively true that firing a coach with years left on his contract when your college is strapped for cash is not the brightest idea.  Seriously, how can you defend such a poor decision? I doubt anyone would argue that Terry should have been extended again...but fired with 2 years left? Are we any better off in those two years than if Terry was here?

I wish Terry and Arth luck, but good gravy.

Edited by TheZipCat

Bowden was here 7 years and had one winning season, one mediocre season, and five losing seasons. He got fired after going 2-6 in the MAC (read that twice) and we're STILL paying for his complete lack of recruiting the second half of his stay here (how many upperclassmen do we have on the roster?).

If you're that infatuated with him, follow him to the Sunbelt basement. A match made in heaven, Bobby Bo and Rich Rodriguez (the most popular UM coach in Buckeye history, at least for now...). 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Bowden was let go on December 2, 2018. 2 years, 9 months and 4 days ago.  1009 days ago.  

It may just be time to let it go.

Or it’s time to hold those accountable for destroying our “average” football program that could surprise you on any given year with a bowl game. The decision makers behind hiring Arth and firing Bowden should be let go, including the board. The Zips, or should I say script Akron, are an embarrassment. I feel bad for the students that have to pay extra fees to support this garbage. And the person that decided to change the logo to script Akron, what the heck were you thinking? Also, the majority of Akron Alumni that watch football are most likely watching the Buckeyes every Saturday. The decision makers do not have the correct formula to turn Akron into another Cinci. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bobbyake said:

Or it’s time to hold those accountable for destroying our “average” football program that could surprise you on any given year with a bowl game football are most likely watching the Buckeyes every Saturday. 

By accountable, do you mean punish?  If so, who will be punished and how shall we punish them since they no longer work at the University?

Sorry, I'm seeing the work accountable being used for punish too much these days. It has become a type of Newspeak. 

1 hour ago, bobbyake said:

Or it’s time to hold those accountable for destroying our “average” football program that could surprise you on any given year with a bowl game. The decision makers behind hiring Arth and firing Bowden should be let go, including the board. The Zips, or should I say script Akron, are an embarrassment. I feel bad for the students that have to pay extra fees to support this garbage. And the person that decided to change the logo to script Akron, what the heck were you thinking? Also, the majority of Akron Alumni that watch football are most likely watching the Buckeyes every Saturday. The decision makers do not have the correct formula to turn Akron into another Cinci. 

Agree.  John Green and Greg Williams have to go.  Oh....wait.

By the way, I agree with most of your post (high student fees; script Akron).  I just think there's a possibility that Bowden AND Arth both suck.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, bobbyake said:

Akron should have never fired Bowden is what a good majority of Akron alumni believe, and the way Bowden was fired with years left on his contract for an unproven coach was a reckless decision and we’re lucky the program is still D1 at this point. I’m expecting Arth to be a failure but I would love to be proven wrong. This program is in a sad state and I’d rather drive to Kent to watch Kent State play than go to a Zips game if I was looking to watch local D1 football program. There’s no excitement about the Zips, Arth doesn’t bring excitement. He’s no Caleb Porter.

Sad but true

ALL OF IT. 

I said from day 1on here  this Arth experiment we can't afford would be a failure and got a lot of hate for it 

Hell we can't even cheat right. 

Edited by dre22era
  • Like 2

By year 3 Bowden upset Pitt and took the team to a bowl game, and won it. 

This is year 3 for Arth. His cupboard was no more bare than the one Bowden inherited from Ianello. There is zero hope that this team wins more than two games, and maybe more realistically one game. 

But we cannot afford to fire him. To pretend that the program isn't in dire straits is a joke.

Yes, Williams was a big part of the disaster, but it goes further. UA is clearly not concerned with putting a high quality team on the field to compete.

Whether Bowden had some bad luck or was a bad coach will be proven over the next three years as he tries to flip ULM which is even more disadvantaged than UA, financially.

You might want folks to move on from Bowden, but that won't happen until you find a better replacement. Arth isn't it 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

By year 3 Bowden upset Pitt and took the team to a bowl game, and won it. 

This is year 3 for Arth. His cupboard was no more bare than the one Bowden inherited from Ianello. There is zero hope that this team wins more than two games, and maybe more realistically one game. 

But we cannot afford to fire him. To pretend that the program isn't in dire straits is a joke.

Yes, Williams was a big part of the disaster, but it goes further. UA is clearly not concerned with putting a high quality team on the field to compete.

Whether Bowden had some bad luck or was a bad coach will be proven over the next three years as he tries to flip ULM which is even more disadvantaged than UA, financially.

You might want folks to move on from Bowden, but that won't happen until you find a better replacement. Arth isn't it 

For the love of God, move on already.  Yes, move on!  Step off! Whatever works for you.  And who are these folks still carrying a torch for Bowden?  You and the 3 others who come on here and incessantly bitch?  Let it go.  It will be ok.  

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ll throw out another thought.

How much has the belt tightening affected recruiting? Coaching? It looks like they can’t even afford to keep the website up to date.  Let alone improve on recruiting, etc. We’re hearing about deep cuts in education, that’s gotta have an affect on the athletics budgets.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Spin said:

How much has the belt tightening affected recruiting? Coaching? It looks like they can’t even afford to keep the website up to date.  Let alone improve on recruiting, etc. We’re hearing about deep cuts in education, that’s gotta have an affect on the athletics budgets.

This dates back to Bowden. Things have to change at the University before Akron is competitive again.

That being said, I don't see Arth doing the type of fundraising that Bowden did, to help his own cause and he doesn't seem very good on the public relations front.

5 hours ago, zippy5 said:

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9523408547ae1442bd4d

And focus on what? The dire straits before us? I think you are the one who needs to let it go.

On 9/6/2021 at 7:40 PM, Spin said:

Bowden was here 7 years and had one winning season, one mediocre season, and five losing seasons. He got fired after going 2-6 in the MAC (read that twice) and we're STILL paying for his complete lack of recruiting the second half of his stay here (how many upperclassmen do we have on the roster?).

If you're that infatuated with him, follow him to the Sunbelt basement. A match made in heaven, Bobby Bo and Rich Rodriguez (the most popular UM coach in Buckeye history, at least for now...). 

And how exactly has Arth Faired? The hatred towards Bowden by some is just...astoundingly sad. Most successful D-1 Coach Akron has had.  Sad day.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 7:38 PM, TheZipCat said:

And how exactly has Arth Faired? The hatred towards Bowden by some is just...astoundingly sad. Most successful D-1 Coach Akron has had.  Sad day.

I agree he had the most successful season in Zips Football history. Nobody is taking away from that. But since he put Milwee in charge the team sank back down to the bottom. He also owns that. 2-6 in the MAC.

Great coach. Helluva guy. Would love to sit and talk with him all day. But you can’t pretend he let the program fall right back into the hole he took us out of. 

Comparing his last couple years to Arth doesn’t help his case all that much…

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2021 at 4:04 PM, Spin said:

On the 'belt tightening' subject, as soon as my wife and I walk in at gate 1 what do we see? Already long lines at concession stands. As we walked by I was looking at all the concession stands that were closed. That was most of them. Pretty much long lines all thru the first half at least. The point? The athletic department seems to want to pinch pennies when it comes to customer services as others have pointed out. I heard people grumbling after having to stand in line so long. If your someone who attends games occasionally or rarely, you don't want to see people waiting in long lines to get a pretzel or a beer or whatever. That isn't a way to get people to return especially when they have to watch a bad product on the field. Oh and remember they stopped giving season ticket holders food coupons several years ago.

Seems a bit of 'penny wise and pound foolish to me'.

• Like 2

It was a pretty good crowd considering the downcycle and meh opponent. Those concession lines stretched all the way across the concourse so people that were just trying to get to the bathrooms were blocked and had to cut through the lines. They need to do a better job of organizing that.

4 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

It was a pretty good crowd considering the downcycle and meh opponent. Those concession lines stretched all the way across the concourse so people that were just trying to get to the bathrooms were blocked and had to cut through the lines. They need to do a better job of organizing that.

I agree about the crowd. I wouldn't be surprised if the problem with the concessions had something to do with problems getting workers. Heck, you can't eat inside most Wendy's these days.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Lee Adams said:

On the 'belt tightening' subject, as soon as my wife and I walk in at gate 1 what do we see? Already long lines at concession stands. As we walked by I was looking at all the concession stands that were closed. That was most of them. Pretty much long lines all thru the first half at least. The point? The athletic department seems to want to pinch pennies when it comes to customer services as others have pointed out. I heard people grumbling after having to stand in line so long. If your someone who attends games occasionally or rarely, you don't want to see people waiting in long lines to get a pretzel or a beer or whatever. That isn't a way to get people to return especially when they have to watch a bad product on the field. Oh and remember they stopped giving season ticket holders food coupons several years ago.

Seems a bit of 'penny wise and pound foolish to me'.

In case you haven't noticed, there is a pretty severe labor shortage happening right now in every segment of our economy. As an employer it is nearly impossible to even get people to apply for jobs let alone show up for an interview or accept a position. Also, I'm a season ticket holder and I received a food voucher for every game.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

In case you haven't noticed, there is a pretty severe labor shortage happening right now in every segment of our economy. As an employer it is nearly impossible to even get people to apply for jobs let alone show up for an interview or accept a position. Also, I'm a season ticket holder and I received a food voucher for every game.  

So are we and we haven't gotten a voucher for at least 2 seasons. Guess you are paying more than we are for you season tix. Section 212 Row 14. Since the place opened in 2009 and long before!!!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Zipmeister said:

I had the weirdest dream that the UL-M football team became the biggest underdog ever to win a game by beating Liberty.

I've got to stop eating spicy food.

Fun Fact to add to your weird dream 😂
Both teams had Bowden  X-Zip recruits contribute to the stat sheet

Liberty - Louis & Sibley

ULM - Knight & Alce 

Edited by 94zipgrad

1 hour ago, 94zipgrad said:

Fun Fact to add to your weird dream 😂
Both teams had Bowden  X-Zip recruits contribute to the stat sheet

Liberty - Louis & Sibley

ULM - Knight & Alce 

Knight & Alce didn't have big numbers but both made big plays. Boogie snagged a handed catch at a pivotal moment and Alce punished the D when he punched into the end zone for his first career touchdown. 

Remember what it was like to pull off an upset?

• Sad 1

Winners from Week 7 in college football Louisiana-Monroe

After a 2020 season that ranks among the worst by any team in FBS history, Louisiana-Monroe is now 3-3 under new coach Terry Bowden after beating Liberty 31-28. How surprising was that? The Warhawks were 33-point underdogs but held star quarterback Malik Willis to 135 yards with three interceptions, though Willis did run for 157 yards and two scores. To have three wins with a shot at bowl eligibility — South Alabama, Texas State and Arkansas State are winnable games — is an amazing achievement based on the situation Bowden inherited

source