Terry's next endeavor

ZippyRulz

On 9/6/2021 at 6:58 PM, NWAkron said:

Good majority of Akron alumni?  Hardly.  If you are going to come on here and be hateful and destructive and constantly rehash the firing of an average coach, then back up your statements with facts or just travel to Ravenna for a good time. 

How much you want to bet? Everyone from my time at Akron that I've talked to agreed...many of which were involved with athletics, sports broadcasting/writing today, and or regularly went to games with me and don't care anymore. Community members who are not involved with UA what-so-ever, and just hear about Akron football cursory also say to me "WTF were they thinking?" I don't know what bubble you're living in, but the bubble I'm in the prevailing opinion is unquestionably that Akron made a horrible mistake firing Bowden.

An average coach is something Akron hasn't had in 30-years, you want still want to defend it was a good idea, or that "average" wasn't a step up from what we have now? Preposterous. I personally tuned out for 2-years and discontinued my season tickets, because I thought it was a monumentally stupid move and frankly was apathetic to care about watching the Zips go through another iCoach era. And I'm definitely not the only one, just ask anyone working for the ticket office, if they're brave enough to speak candidly.

I only recently came back here to ZNO to see what the perspectives currently are, and to see if there was any possible turnaround for the culture of apathy. 

Edited by TheZipCat

6 hours ago, TheZipCat said:

How much you want to bet? Everyone from my time at Akron that I've talked to agreed...many of which were involved with athletics, sports broadcasting/writing today, and or regularly went to games with me and don't care anymore. Community members who are not involved with UA what-so-ever, and just hear about Akron football cursory also say to me "WTF were they thinking?" I don't know what bubble you're living in, but the bubble I'm in the prevailing opinion is unquestionably that Akron made a horrible mistake firing Bowden.

An average coach is something Akron hasn't had in 30-years, you want still want to defend it was a good idea, or that "average" wasn't a step up from what we have now? Preposterous. I personally tuned out for 2-years and discontinued my season tickets, because I thought it was a monumentally stupid move and frankly was apathetic to care about watching the Zips go through another iCoach era. And I'm definitely not the only one, just ask anyone working for the ticket office, if they're brave enough to speak candidly.

I only recently came back here to ZNO to see what the perspectives currently are, and to see if there was any possible turnaround for the culture of apathy. 

You must have a small circle of friends and associates.  I worked with someone ON HIS OLD STAFF and they shared that players overwhelmingly were tuning Bowden out at the end.  Good man, appreciate his time with the Zips, but let it go.

8 minutes ago, zippypitt said:

You must have a small circle of friends and associates.  I worked with someone ON HIS OLD STAFF and they shared that players overwhelmingly were tuning Bowden out at the end.  Good man, appreciate his time with the Zips, but let it go.

I have a rather large and diverse group of friends and associates. Turning on Bowden at the end is completely different than the public perception of what the University did...and it's objectively true that UA made the wrong move. Is public perception of the Akron Zips football team BETTER or WORSE than it was 3 years ago? It's objectively WORSE.

Edited by TheZipCat

10 minutes ago, TheZipCat said:

I have a rather large and diverse group of friends and associates. Turning on Bowden at the end is completely different than the public perception of what the University did...and it's objectively true that UA made the wrong move. Is public perception of the Akron Zips football team BETTER or WORSE than it was 3 years ago? It's objectively WORSE.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401020784

Zips also led this game in naps taken on the sideline. Happy Senior Day!

But but but but Northwestern!!! 

Morons. 

8 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

I think you have me confused with someone else. Arth has been a complete failure but we cannot afford to fire him.

Yes, thank you for stating the obvious. What about any of my posts indicates that Arth is a successful coach at Akron? Please, show me. You fail to recognize any nuance in these discussions and it’s mind blowing. Truly mind blowing. It isn’t Arth vs. Bowden. It’s Akron vs. Akron. Neither end of tenure Bowden or Tom Arth should be coaching at Akron right now. 

I’m happy for Terry. He’s in a place where he seems he can do well. And the big difference on his sideline? That punk he had calling plays while at Akron isn’t with him anymore, and he shouldn’t have been here after the 2014 debacle. Instead, there was some success but it never reached its full potential. 

GO ZIPS!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Yes, thank you for stating the obvious. What about any of my posts indicates that Arth is a successful coach at Akron? Please, show me. You fail to recognize any nuance in these discussions and it’s mind blowing. Truly mind blowing. It isn’t Arth vs. Bowden. It’s Akron vs. Akron. Neither end of tenure Bowden or Tom Arth should be coaching at Akron right now. 

I’m happy for Terry. He’s in a place where he seems he can do well. And the big difference on his sideline? That punk he had calling plays while at Akron isn’t with him anymore, and he shouldn’t have been here after the 2014 debacle. Instead, there was some success but it never reached its full potential. 

GO ZIPS!

Your poor communication skills are mind numbing.

Also, the big difference? Having a supportive administration.

At the end of the day Terry Bowden was here for 7 seasons and only finished 1 year with a winning record. If that's what Akron's ceiling is as a football program I'd rather they just schedule OSU, Alabama, Clemson, and Oklahoma every year for the paycheck and punt on the football program entirely to focus on basketball. 5-7 football doesn't excite me and given how empty Inforcision was when Terry was here I'd say I'm not in the minority. 

Arth has been an utter failure, but I'd rather try for success (even if it means failing) than to settle for a below average (35-52 overall and 23-33 conference) head coach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

At the end of the day Terry Bowden was here for 7 seasons and only finished 1 year with a winning record. If that's what Akron's ceiling is as a football program I'd rather they just schedule OSU, Alabama, Clemson, and Oklahoma every year for the paycheck and punt on the football program entirely to focus on basketball. 5-7 football doesn't excite me and given how empty Inforcision was when Terry was here I'd say I'm not in the minority. 

That's one narrative. An alternate is Terry Bowden had the team on the right trajectory, a regime change happened and he no longer had the support required to continue the growth.

You could bring in Ed Orgeron and things won't improve unless things at the university level change.

Change requires will, means, and skill  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

So Terry's shortcomings were due to the administration yet Arth's aren't?

No, I have said it is hard to tell how much is Arth and how much is the administration. But, there is no reason to expect Arth to be successful, based on his experience and history. He wasn't a raging success at UTC.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 7:53 PM, LoyalZIP said:

Exactly! Finally you get it, losing to a bad team without a head coach to all but lock up a 2-6 MAC record is unacceptable. About damn time you come around. 

I mean we're constantly told by others on this forum that D-1 Football is about Exposure...and winning against BIG-10 teams is more exposure than losing to BGSU...

I just want some logical consistency from you guys.  That's it. It's not much to ask.  Either the record doesn't matter, exposure does...or the record matters and exposure is secondary. Anyway you shake it, firing Bowden was monumentally stupid with 2-years on his contract on that metric alone.  It's like you guys move the goalposts everytime you're confronted with your own criteria.

Good lord, if 2-6 was an unacceptable record, WTF is two years of 0-8 and 1-7?!?  Do you even reread your own arguments after typing them?  If 2-6 is unacceptable only 1-year removed from a 6-2 record and MACC appearance, wtf is 0-8, 1-5 (where you probably would have been 1-8), 1-8? Good lord just admit you're wrong...that it was a bad idea to fire him with 2-years left and just move on already. 

It's just embarrassing the logical inconsistency.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheZipCat said:

I mean we're constantly told by others on this forum that D-1 Football is about Exposure...and winning against BIG-10 teams is more exposure than losing to BGSU...

I just want some logical consistency from you guys.  That's it. It's not much to ask.  Either the record doesn't matter, exposure does...or the record matters and exposure is secondary. Anyway you shake it, firing Bowden was monumentally stupid with 2-years on his contract on that metric alone.  It's like you guys move the goalposts everytime you're confronted with your own criteria.

Good lord, if 2-6 was an unacceptable record, WTF is two years of 0-8 and 1-7?!?  Do you even reread your own arguments after typing them?  If 2-6 is unacceptable only 1-year removed from a 6-2 record and MACC appearance, wtf is 0-8, 1-5 (where you probably would have been 1-8), 1-8? Good lord just admit you're wrong...that it was a bad idea to fire him with 2-years left and just move on already. 

It's just embarrassing the logical inconsistency.

I’m genuinely curious, did someone hack my account and post a bunch of Arth love on my behalf? Everyone is accusing me of being pro-Arth! This is getting out of hand! 

Thank you for the laugh my friend. I’m sorry that I expect a team that beats Northwestern to not be at the bottom of the MAC East. I apologize for the lofty expectations for ol’ Terr-Bear. My bad. Perhaps I should have lowered my expectations like you. 

I’m officially retiring from the stupidity of this thread. Goodness gracious. 

• Like 4

On 10/19/2021 at 11:07 PM, LoyalZIP said:

I’m genuinely curious, did someone hack my account and post a bunch of Arth love on my behalf? Everyone is accusing me of being pro-Arth! This is getting out of hand! 

Thank you for the laugh my friend. I’m sorry that I expect a team that beats Northwestern to not be at the bottom of the MAC East. I apologize for the lofty expectations for ol’ Terr-Bear. My bad. Perhaps I should have lowered my expectations like you. 

I’m officially retiring from the stupidity of this thread. Goodness gracious. 

It's okay to have the expectations that Bowden should have done better, AND think that firing him was a dumb move. They are not mutually exclusive.  

I just want some logical consistency it what's actually important to the Akron Football program.

On 10/21/2021 at 12:59 PM, TheZipCat said:

It's okay to have the expectations that Bowden should have done better, AND think that firing him was a dumb move. They are not mutually exclusive.  

I just want some logical consistency it what's actually important to the Akron Football program.

Akron has gone 3-22 since Bowden was fired. Bowden has a team that was 0-10 in 2020 sitting at 4-3, with two impressive back to back wins.

Things went south for Bowden when the AD and the university president changed. We know that he was told he had to stop recruiting from the south, or at least decrease it. What else happened that led to that massive shift in trajectory?

It won't do Akron any good to fire Arth if they don't get serious about football in general. Maybe with Williams gone things are better, but there has to be commitment.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 1:09 PM, Spin said:

If only the program hadn’t been driven into the ditch right after that…

More like if people didn't over react to one season, and actually appreciated what Akron Football could be in reality versus delusions of grandeur. 

Edited by TheZipCat
  • Thanks 1