Terry's next endeavor

ZippyRulz

13 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

If someone promised to pay me $600,000, I ain’t retiring and forfeiting it. Especially not to the place that fired me.

Bowden would have been happy to coach the next two seasons, but UA told him to hit the bricks. UA knew the deal...they wrote it. 

If if you want to play “big boy” football, you know eating the last two years of a fired coach’s contract is part of the deal. A $600,000 dinner bill is chump change in D-1 football. If it isn’t for UA, it isn’t Bowden’s fault.

If Arth doesn’t pan out, the buyout will probably be $1,000,000. I hope he pans out ...not to save the money...but because it would be fun. It’s been a long time since Zips football has been bandwagon-inducing fun. 

I understand what you are saying. Don't agree with it but I understand. Don't know if you have made millions of dollars over the years coaching football,appearing on TV. Maybe you have made millions of dollars over the years over the years in your chosen vocation. I know if I had gotten 'fired' from my job the amount on my pay check would be $0.00. No choice to retire and still get a ton of bucks if I didn't do my job the way my employer thought I should. I'm sure Bowden would have been happy to coach two more seasons.  His employer didn't like the way he was doing his job. A significant number of fans felt the same way. 

I know the practice when hiring coaches is that unless you terminate 'for cause' the coach gets the rest of the money in the contract even if he is not performing up to expectations. Thats not the fault of The University of Akron or of Terry Bowden. Thats a fault of the system. Maybe thats what upsets me about this kind of crap. Option? Bowden didn't need all that money to 'survive'. Could the University and Bowden have negotiated a smaller buyout? Sure. But $600,000 for this school is a huge chunk of change. Akron has wanted to 'play big boy football' for years Unfortunately, for the University its ATM might not have enough cash to continue to do so in the future unless the program starts performing at a significantly higher level.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I can't fault the guy for taking the money. If I was in his position I'd do the same. I can't name 1 college coach that declined the buy out money they were entitled to from their contract. It's kind of unrealistic to expect Bowden to do it.

I hope that the University has a net gain financially by keeping Bowden around.  Surely that has to be the most compelling reason.  It probably doesn't cost the school much more to keep him around, but they must think that they can use him in a way that saves money or makes money.  However, a "little" bit of conflict between him and the new coach could be "very costly."

13 minutes ago, Cykron said:

I hope that the University has a net gain financially by keeping Bowden around.  Surely that has to be the most compelling reason.  It probably doesn't cost the school much more to keep him around, but they must think that they can use him in a way that saves money or makes money.  However, a "little" bit of conflict between him and the new coach could be "very costly."

I'm not sure I see where the issue is. TB, if kept around the university, will not be involved with the football program whatsoever. A fundraising type role makes the most sense in my opinion. Urban Meyer is likely going to do something similar at OSU.

39 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I'm not sure I see where the issue is. TB, if kept around the university, will not be involved with the football program whatsoever. A fundraising type role makes the most sense in my opinion. Urban Meyer is likely going to do something similar at OSU.

Maybe there is no issue.  Maybe it is more common in Ohio.  As I survey the college football world, I think it is unusual.  And I don't think it is possible for Bowden to be employed by the university and "not be involved with the football program whatsoever."  The only reason to keep him around is that you think there is some net gain for the football program.  Apparently they did and I hope for your sake they are right.  

1 minute ago, Cykron said:

Maybe there is no issue.  Maybe it is more common in Ohio.  As I survey the college football world, I think it is unusual.  And I don't think it is possible for Bowden to be employed by the university and "not be involved with the football program whatsoever."  The only reason to keep him around is that you think there is some net gain for the football program.  Apparently they did and I hope for your sake they are right.  

They have to pay him the money anyways. For all I care they can have him mop floors and clean toilets. I suppose that would save the cost on 1 janitor.

• Like 1

Pretty sure there is a clause in his contract that allows the university to re-assign him to another position to finish out his contract. If declines his new position or fails to complete the duties of that position they would be off the hook for paying the remainder of his contract.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Pretty sure there is a clause in his contract that allows the university to re-assign him to another position to finish out his contract. If declines his new position or fails to complete the duties of that position they would be off the hook for paying the remainder of his contract.

Pretty sure you are correct.  Know of the same contractual language in another Zip coach and also one at KSU...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Milwee has got to have incriminating photos of someone at Alabama in order to get this job. If he could analyze the game so well why were our teams never prepared? SMH.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Milwee has got to have incriminating photos of someone at Alabama in order to get this job. If he could analyze the game so well why were our teams never prepared? SMH.

That's what I always said about him when he was here. He must've had something on Bowden...why else would he keep him?

• 3 months later...

I wonder what the financial implications of the buyout are for Bowden apparently not taking a position at the U. We could sure use the savings.

Sounds like something any journalist partially worth their paycheck would report on.