Game 9- Purdue Fort Wayne Mastodons

clarkwgriswold

My stream starting working at the 10 minute mark of the 1st half.  Really having difficult time penetrating.  We get into the lane and just stop.  When we kick out for 3 we have missed some open 3 pointers.  Both Poke and Sayles have had layups blocked from behind.  Looked like fouls and Groce was pissed.  We have very little inside game.  They have made some tough 3 pointers.  Our shooting will hopefully get better and their shooting will get worse.  It always seems that this team plays much better in the second half.

Jackson has had a difficult time finishing at the basket after he penetrates.  

• Like 2

I had the same streaming problem here too so I missed the first 10 minutes.

We miss Riak out there. We need a rim protector and an effective inside presence...badly. It's not an effort issue, it's a road game so we need to be able to score through contact and we are not hitting enough from outside. Also, LCJ is getting pushed around and not getting fouls called. Life on the road.

We had it down to 3 and then banks missed 2 wide open 3 point shots and Jackson missed the front end of a one and one.  We are now down by 8.  When you are down 20 and come back you have little room for error.  Need to get the ball to Ivey and let him drive to the hoop.  We will probably take 40 3 balls tonight.

I was wondering who was going to step up and take the last shot.  Turns out nobody.  We penetrated but could not finish.  Too much passing in the last possession.  I am happy that we had a close game.  That will help us when we get to MAC play.  Jackson finally penetrated and finished at the basket.  He needs to finish at the basket when he penetrates.  If it gets blocked so what.  He is very quick.  Sales and Poke were complete non factors.  Very disappointed with their lack of offense.  Sales looked a little slow on defense.  I hope to see Riak soon.

• Like 1

The difference between those Dambrot teams that were 3 point happy compared to this team is those Dambrot teams had proven 3-point shooters. I'm not sure if any of these guys outside of Utomi is an above average 3-point shooter. This team seems to have more athleticism at the guard positions than those Dambrot times. It would be nice to use that to attack the basket.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Good point Kreed. I think Banks and Jackson are decent from 3 but no one else is better than average.  Cheese had a little streak going there, but his shot is wildly inconsistent. 

I just looed at the numbers and Banks is shooting over 40% from behind the arc. Roscoe is shooting 47% from behind the arc in a limited number of attempts as well. It would be nice for Roscoe to do whatever he needs to do to see more time on the floor. He's been a nice offensive spark at times for a team that has gone through a lot of stretches of not being able to buy a bucket

Edited by kreed5120

6 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I just looed at the numbers and Banks is shooting over 40% from behind the arc. Roscoe is shooting 47% from behind the arc in a limited number of attempts as well. It would be nice for Roscoe to do whatever he needs to do to see more time on the floor. He's been a nice offensive spark at times for a team that has gone through a lot of stretches of not being able to buy a bucket

He has been a pleasant surprise.  Aggressive with the ball in his hands.  I hadn't even thought of him as a rotational player coming into the season.

• Like 1