Game 10- Marshall Thundering Herd

clarkwgriswold

12 minutes ago, zipfan84 said:

Absolutely correct. Defense and rebounding both require effort. 

I was disappointed with Groce's post game comments. He didn't voice any concern with effort at all.

We are in agreement here. I was so frustrated watching this game I would have had our guys back out on that court once the fans left the building. Groce isn't afraid to shame them for a lack of effort so there must be something we don't know. He did mention a short bench today, but we were slow to everything and looked disinterested even early on. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Oh, and while I'm rolling, the Zips bench was just plain awful.  I realize they were shorthanded, but Roscoe looked lost and everyone other than Riak didn't come to play.

Roscoe made a huge defensive mistake I think when we had just tied them.  Groce lost it...yelled to Dustin, "get him out!" Sayles rebounded well when the ball fell directly into his hands.   There's plenty of blame to go around and I shouldn't focus so much on the last play considering the Zips were behind the entire game.  With Buffalo ready to sweep the MAC and the entire season, the goal should be to get on the other side of the bracket:rolleyes:.  They need some confidence and urgency that's for sure 

3 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Roscoe made a huge defensive mistake I think when we had just tied them.  Groce lost it...yelled to Dustin, "get him out!" Sayles rebounded well when the ball fell directly into his hands.   There's plenty of blame to go around and I shouldn't focus so much on the last play considering the Zips were behind the entire game.  With Buffalo ready to sweep the MAC and the entire season, the goal should be to get on the other side of the bracket:rolleyes:.  They need some confidence and urgency that's for sure 

I saw that.  I thought Groce's head was going to explode.  It was just a mindless momentum killing moment of idiocy by Roscoe.  Groce made a comment in the post-game about how some of the bench didn't come to play and I think that was in large part directed at Roscoe.   E-man was pretty damn invisible today too.

Sayles has become my most frustrating Zip this year.

I thought the Roscoe foul was dumb because he pressed his defender at half court.  However, we were not in the penalty and Roscoe was attempting to be aggressive on defense.  Not the worst play in the game.  I hate to see Groce upset when a guy is being aggressive, even if it was a stupid foul.  

I thought Cheese had his best game.  However,  he also had the worst shot of the night.  He took the ball up the court and took an off balence 3 without passing the ball.  Marshall got the rebound and Cheese's man beat him down the court for a dunk.  Cheese remained in the game.

I am really disappointed in our big men.  Once again got nothing offensively.  I thought Sayles looked better last year than this year.  He looks a step slow and there were 2 times he just stood there and did not go for the rebound after a missed shot.  He also got an offensive rebound 3 feet from the basket and did not take it straight up.  Riak is the best of the bunch but that is a weakness offesively. 

I was really disappointed in the last shot.  Groce indicated he used that play in Illinois to beat a ranked team.  All I saw was a desperation 3 when we were down by 2.  A 3 pointer should not have been an option when we only need 2 points to win.  Poor Coaching!!!!!! 

25 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I thought the Roscoe foul was dumb because he pressed his defender at half court.  However, we were not in the penalty and Roscoe was attempting to be aggressive on defense.  Not the worst play in the game.  I hate to see Groce upset when a guy is being aggressive, even if it was a stupid foul.  

I thought Cheese had his best game.  However,  he also had the worst shot of the night.  He took the ball up the court and took an off balence 3 without passing the ball.  Marshall got the rebound and Cheese's man beat him down the court for a dunk.  Cheese remained in the game.

I am really disappointed in our big men.  Once again got nothing offensively.  I thought Sayles looked better last year than this year.  He looks a step slow and there were 2 times he just stood there and did not go for the rebound after a missed shot.  He also got an offensive rebound 3 feet from the basket and did not take it straight up.  Riak is the best of the bunch but that is a weakness offesively. 

I was really disappointed in the last shot.  Groce indicated he used that play in Illinois to beat a ranked team.  All I saw was a desperation 3 when we were down by 2.  A 3 pointer should not have been an option when we only need 2 points to win.  Poor Coaching!!!!!! 

Marshall defended this play completely different than #1 ranked, Indiana. Illinois got a wide open lay up for the win. I agree, this attempt looked really ugly and LCJ should not be the one taking a 3 on the move like that. Ivey would have had a much better chance, but moments like that you have to take what the defense gives you. Even if you only need 2 to win.

Found it.

https://deadspin.com/5982703/illinois-shocks-no-1-indiana-on-a-last-second-layup

Edited by Illini Zip

1 hour ago, Illini Zip said:

We are in agreement here. I was so frustrated watching this game I would have had our guys back out on that court once the fans left the building. Groce isn't afraid to shame them for a lack of effort so there must be something we don't know. He did mention a short bench today, but we were slow to everything and looked disinterested even early on. 

He didn't seem mad enough in the post game to shame them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

The play was actually drawn up to go to Utomi, who cut to the basket. He had a defender on him but from my angle i think the inbounder could have got him the ball. Jackson was the 2nd option.

Team's biggest need is better interior play IMO. Riak has size and athleticism, but he doesn't bring anything except an outside shot once in a blue moon. Sayles might have the best all around potential, but so far this year his game has regressed. 

No great rebounder or inside threat to score. I would look at Kostelac, TBH. I think he's looked improved in his very limited time so far.

Crowd energy was also pretty disappointing yesterday if you ask me, especially considering the opponent.

Edited by LZIp

28 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Team's biggest need is better interior play IMO. Riak has size and athleticism, but he doesn't bring anything except an outside shot once in a blue moon. Sayles might have the best all around potential, but so far this year his game has regressed. 

No great rebounder or inside threat to score. I would look at Kostelac, TBH. I think he's looked improved in his very limited time so far.

Crowd energy was also pretty disappointing yesterday if you ask me, especially considering the opponent.

A lot of green in the crowd yesterday.  Also, I saw boxes and boxes of gold Zips T's stacked on the far base line as there were not enough Zips fans to give all of them away.  

33 minutes ago, Zip JD said:

A lot of green in the crowd yesterday.  Also, I saw boxes and boxes of gold Zips T's stacked on the far base line as there were not enough Zips fans to give all of them away.  

Those were the ugliest T shirts.   I think these 2pm games are a drag for the fans.  And all the Saturday games this year are at 2pm.   

2 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Those were the ugliest T shirts.   I think these 2pm games are a drag for the fans.  And all the Saturday games this year are at 2pm.   

I don't mind the afternoon games. However, unless you are a season ticket holder you wouldn't know what day the game is, let alone what time.

Where is the marketing of this team?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, zipfan84 said:

I don't mind the afternoon games. However, unless you are a season ticket holder you wouldn't know what day the game is, let alone what time.

Where is the marketing of this team?

TRU DAT!!!  i see that marketing guy with the Akron basketball website...but he is always walking around.  I think he walked down the stairs back to his seat at least 7X during the marshall game!  Oh. and on FB...the Tennessee St. game was slated for midnight..a few hours later it was changed to 7pm.  Really all the saturday games are 2pm?  sorry...but that sucks, i could see a handful..especially for Non conf.  but not for MACtion!!!  

Edited by dirtyolcrowe

I don't like the 2 pm Saturday games either, but was told last year the reason was "We moved to afternoon games to provide more rest and recovery time for the student-athletes between games.  This also allows them to spend time with their families after the game at a reasonable hour.

This also allows for visiting teams to travel back home earlier instead of in the middle of the night.

It is a student-athlete welfare decision on our part."

I get it, but too bad they don't apply that same logic to weekday November football games.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

I don't like the 2 pm Saturday games either, but was told last year the reason was "We moved to afternoon games to provide more rest and recovery time for the student-athletes between games.  This also allows them to spend time with their families after the game at a reasonable hour.

This also allows for visiting teams to travel back home earlier instead of in the middle of the night.

I get it, but too bad they don't apply that same logic to weekday November football games.

I can't stand the 2 PM games. I work on Saturdays and I have to plan my whole week around the game in order to make it on time. And it kills attendance. 

4 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

I appreciate the sentiment but seriously?  Dinner with parents after the game?  Kent plays all of their home games at 7pm.  I think this has more to do with ESPN.  That being said, I remember back in the day that afternoon games were fairly normal.

14 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I appreciate the sentiment but seriously?  Dinner with parents after the game?  Kent plays all of their home games at 7pm.  I think this has more to do with ESPN.  That being said, I remember back in the day that afternoon games were fairly normal.

If you think it has more to do with ESPN, why does it only affect Akron and not Kent?

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

That being said, I remember back in the day that afternoon games were fairly normal.

I think you're right.  IIRC Saturday night games used to be rare; special occasion only.  I remember back in the day when Jimmal Ball dropped 44(?) on Purdue I missed the first half of the game due to it being in the afternoon.  

But I would prefer if the games were played at 7:00.  Makes for a fun night.  

Edited by Blue & Gold