2019 Fall Season

2 hours ago, malonepioneer12 said:

What a great year by our team!  In my mind nothing better to get me cheered up again than talking about next year.  Thanks Ben, Morgan, Ezana and all of the other seniors. Does anyone know the status of our inderclassmen, specifically Egbo and Carlo?   Will everyone be back besides our seniors?  

I expect as usual we will have some reserves transfer out to get some playing time with other programs.  I think the GA official announcement came out January 5th this year so I expect we should hear rumors soon if Egbo or Carlo are targeted for that.

I hope that the zips will play some important soccer before the fall.

Teams are allowed to take an international trip once every 4 years.

Caleb took a team to Spain.

Jared took a team to Brazil in summer 2015.

if you remember, the zips in 2014...lost in the round of 64 in a PK Shootout...

The 2015 team made it all the way to the college cup.

The players on that team credit that trip for great improvement and that they really grew to believe in each other.

I hope that there is a 2019 international trip.   It is expensive.....but I am confident that the zips alumni and family...will want to help these young men get better.

Personally, I am hoping that they go to Portugal......so that Diogo Pacheco and his teammates will get to play in front of his family

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

his head coach at forge FC....is one of the co-founders of sigma FC  (where he developed his game)

The Canadian premier league will make its debut in 2019

Bobby Smyrniotis is a Canadian former soccer player, currently the head coach of Forge FC of the Canadian Premier League. Smyrniotis is the co-founder of the Sigma FC soccer academy based in Mississauga.

College career

Smyrniotis played for the College of Charleston and York University.[2]

Coaching career

In 2003 and 2004, Smyrniotis was a coach in the academy system of Olympiacos F.C.. He co-founded Sigma FC, and was the team's head coach from 2005 to 2018.[3] On October 1, 2018 Forge FC of the Canadian Premier League announced Smyrniotis would be the club's first head coach and technical director.[4]

• Thanks 3

@MarcelZajac11

Thanks for the great memories!  Loved watching you play!  Best of Luck (except vs. USMNT)!  Zips Nation is behind you!  

Once A Zip; Always A Zip!

p.s.Too bad you will not be lifting the 2019 College Cup with us!

edit:  Once A Zip; Always A Zip!  Much love to Marcel Zajac.

Edited by fknbuflobo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We know one game next Fall (https://gozips.com/news/2019/2/15/mens-soccer-akron-extends-embicks-contract.aspx)

8/30/2019 @ Xavier ... The Zips will open their 2019 campaign traveling to Xavier for a season-opening contest on Aug. 30 in Cincinnati, Ohio....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

this article made me realize that Akron plays the other 3 final four teams this year in the regular season

2 akron games make this list....

they should have expanded the list to 8....and included Akron hosting Stanford....

tremendous credit to Jared Embick for putting together a great schedule

https://www.ncaa.com/news/soccer-men/article/2019-07-31/7-must-watch-mens-college-soccer-games-2019

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TennZip said:

this article made me realize that Akron plays the other 3 final four teams this year in the regular season

2 akron games make this list....

they should have expanded the list to 8....and included Akron hosting Stanford....

tremendous credit to Jared Embick for putting together a great schedule

https://www.ncaa.com/news/soccer-men/article/2019-07-31/7-must-watch-mens-college-soccer-games-2019

Thanks for the link to the article. 2 of the other 3...Without looking, I don't recall Indiana being on the Zips regular season schedule in 2019. Maryland and Michigan State, yes. 

Edited by Zip_ME87