2019 Fall Season

3 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Thanks for the link to the article. 2 of the other 3...Without looking, I don't recall Indiana being on the Zips regular season schedule in 2019. Maryland and Michigan State, yes. 

you are of course....Correct,

I am so used to Stanford being in the final four.....I forgot that the zips defeated them in the elite 8

• Like 1

The Zips have not officially announced the new additions to the 2019 roster

However, with this tweet....it is fair game....

I would like to welcome Tom Smart to the soccer zips.

New Mexico eliminated their soccer program after last year's play.

Tom Smart was their starting left back last year and was on the league all conference teams more than once in his 3 years at New Mexico.

Zips Nation is glad to have you in Akron....Mr. Smart

• Like 1

Back Row (L to R): 16 Henrique Cruz, 11 Will Jackson, 19 Nicolas Alt, 2 Pol Hernandez, 8 Colin Biros, 18 Ivan Nikolic, 3 Carlo Ritaccio (C), 27 Declan Watters, 7 Diogo Pacheco, 4 Marco Milanese, 6 Sammy Tojaga, 26 Jaden Wright, 20 Jonathan Boothe, 22 Marko Gasparac, (28) Kai Wagner

Front Row (L to R): 15 Johnny Fitzgerald, 13 Joey Paulus, 25 Daniel Strachan (C), 21 Chris Lue Young, 5 Lenny Sohn, 24 Cam Victor, 34 Joe Bowles, 1 Tor Saunders, 31 Ricky Ceballos, 30 Grant Abbott, 9 David Egbo (C), 10 Skye Harter (C), 32 Peter Zecca, 12 Tom Smart, 23 Mani Austmann

Not pictured:  Bradley Chick, Natnael McDonald, Federico Serra

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TennZip said:

Thank you so much for identifying all of the new players.

I do not know how you do it....with all of the shaved heads.

Very excited to see the new guys in action.

You're welcome and thank you. It is pure pleasure for me to support this team. I wish I could do more for the program. I love getting to know all our players and wish the best for them in soccer, the classroom, and wherever life takes them.

By the way, we know Michael Nanchoff is back as an assistant. I think Zips fans will be pleased when they see another former Zip helping out this Fall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

You're welcome and thank you. It is pure pleasure for me to support this team. I wish I could do more for the program. I love getting to know all our players and wish the best for them in soccer, the classroom, and wherever life takes them.

By the way, we know Michael Nanchoff is back as an assistant. I think Zips fans will be pleased when they see another former Zip helping out this Fall.

You'll Never Walk Alone!

• Like 2

...The squad welcomed 15 newcomers to the fold as the Zips went through a 90-minute training session on the Shrank Practice Field.

Akron is set to return seven starters in 2019, including 2018 All-Mid-American Conference performers, senior Skye Harter (Copley, Ohio), junior David Egbo (Enugu, Nigeria) and sophomores Carlo Ritaccio (Westbury, N.Y.) and Sam Tojaga (Erie, Pa.) from a squad that captured the MAC Tournament title en route to advancing to title match of the College Cup for the fourth time in program history on the strength of an overall record of 15-7-2. ...

...Four of the Zips' 2019 opponents are rated in the preseason top-25 led by No. 1 Maryland (Sept. 13), No. 5 Stanford (Sept. 2), No. 7 Michigan State (Oct. 15) and No. 23 West Virginia (Nov. 7).

Akron will welcome Stanford and Michigan State to FirstEnergy Stadium on Sept. 2 and Oct. 15, respectively, while encountering road tilts at No. 1 Maryland (Sept. 13) and No. 23 West Virginia (Nov. 7).

Additionally, the Zips will play at Creighton, who is receiving votes in the preseason poll, on Sept. 6, while hosting No. 24 Michigan in an exhibition tilt on Aug. 23....

• Like 2

A native of Melbourne, Australia, Chick, a defender, is a member of the Australian U-18 National Team that will compete at the AAF U-18 Championships this month in Vietnam, before reporting to the Zips. He has garnered valuable playing experience with Melbourne City FC, Melbourne Victory and his state's U-15 team.

The U-18 Socceroos (love that name) are 4-1 coming out of the group stage and could play through August 19th if they play for the Championship. The one loss --- Malaysia inflicted a 3-0 defeat on Australia in their penultimate group match to rise to the top of Group B in the AFF U18 Championship 2019 on Tuesday.  (https://www.foxsportsasia.com/football/asian-football/1156960/aff-u18-championship-2019-defending-champs-malaysia-hammer-australia-3-0-hosts-vietnam-fail-to-capitalise/)

• Like 2

Sorry, but I cannot seem to get rid of two screenshots.

Austmann Nets Game-Winner in 1-0 Exhibition Victory Over Evansville.

https://gozips.com/news/2019/8/18/mens-soccer-austmann-nets-game-winner-in-1-0-exhibition-victory-over-evansville.aspx?path=msoc

• Like 2