2019 Fall Season

5 hours ago, TennZip said:

What are your thoughts on Strachan starting the past 2 exhibition games over Carlo?  Was Carlo hurt?  He still came on as a sub in both.

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/mens-impact-division-i-signees-for-2019_aid46635

very nice words about Bradley Chick

D Bradley Chick, Akron

The Australian defender can play as a right back or centrally. He missed a chunk of preseason while on youth national team duty, but can slot in along the back and add depth at either position on a very good Akron side. Iceland midfielder Mani Austmann and Ohio forward Will Jackson have also gotten significant minutes for the Zips and should be assets in their first seasons of college soccer.

2 hours ago, zippyfan34 said:

What are your thoughts on Strachan starting the past 2 exhibition games over Carlo?  Was Carlo hurt?  He still came on as a sub in both.

It seems like there's a ton of depth on this year's squad, especially on the back line -- maybe Tom Smart at LB, but you also have Hernandez and Sohn. Strachan can play either CB position, RB and holding mid (didn't he play there a bit last year?), and judging by TennZip's quote above, Chick at RB? It looks like Lue has had time at RB this preseason. Strachan is such a quality player, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I didn't see any preseason matches so this going by memory from last year and looking over this year's roster. I guess this is why Embick gets the big bucks - putting together the pieces of a talented team!

• Like 1

This is the deepest Zips squad I can recall.  Just like the professional teams to which most of our boys aspire, Coach Embick can interchange personnel and/or systems to fit match situations.  I believe this squad has been coached on changing formation/system, in mid match.  Not even sure I agree with that, but pro teams do it all the time,

• Like 2

NCAA.com Men's Soccer 7 must-watch men’s college soccer games in 2019

Not included in list (unbelievable) - Sept 2, Stanford at Akron

Included in the list

Sept 13 Akron at Maryland

Write up only talks about the Terps. Very lazy --- a "must watch" should describe the matchups that make it must watch

Oct 15 Michigan State at Akron

This game is a rematch of the College Cup quarterfinals from a year ago, where Akron topped Michigan State 5-1.  (WRONG - semifinals, not quarterfinals)

Write up only talks about Akron...also very lazy (same comment as above)

Oh, they got it right under Nov 3, Indiana at Michigan State

The Spartans got an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament last year and went on a bit of a Cinderella-like run to the College Cup Final Four before they lost to Akron in the semifinals.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...