Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
zippy5

Akron basketball looking up for the immediate future

Recommended Posts

Nice article.   Seems like Groce got rid of the mental cases end of last year and at the end of this season he will let go those who aren't performing on the court.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Akron is still a young team who is still learning to develop team chemistry. Pretty much any combination of 5 players we put on the court never played together in an actual game before this season. I expect for us to continue improving as the season goes on. I'm excited for March basketball, which I can't say I was last year. Another thing is pretty much all the MAC teams have senior laden rosters. Akron may actually be the favorite to win the MAC next year while also be in contention for it this year.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Akron is still a young team who is still learning to develop team chemistry. Pretty much any combination of 5 players we put on the court never played together in an actual game before this season. I expect for us to continue improving as the season goes on. I'm excited for March basketball, which I can't say I was last year. Another thing is pretty much all the MAC teams have senior laden rosters. Akron may actually be the favorite to win the MAC next year while also be in contention for it this year.

 

My hope and expectations are to be in the top third of the MAC this year and competing at the top next year.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My hope for this year's team is that they are playing games beyond the MAC tourney in Cleveland. We'd all love a title and NIT usually only goes to the regular season champ but I'd even be OK with CBi or CiT this year as we climb back up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, GJGood said:

My hope for this year's team is that they are playing games beyond the MAC tourney in Cleveland. We'd all love a title and NIT usually only goes to the regular season champ but I'd even be OK with CBi or CiT this year as we climb back up.

 

Ugh. Why did you have to go and ruin this rebuild for me? I was all excited and pumped, then you go and bring up the reality that we're at the CBI/CIT level again. :puke::lol:

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

 

Ugh. Why did you have to go and ruin this rebuild for me? I was all excited and pumped, then you go and bring up the reality that we're at the CBI/CIT level again. :puke::lol:

I doubt Groce would accept a CBI/CIT bid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I doubt Groce would accept a CBI/CIT bid.

 

In year 2 at OU, Groce beat Georgetown in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. In year 3, OU made it to the Quarterfinal of the CIT. In year 4, OU was an OT away again UNC from the Elite 8. 

 

I don't think he's "above" the CIT. 

 

I do agree the CBI and CIT should be dissolved into the NIT with a 64 team field. The NIT has never really bothered me, but the CBI and CIT do. The CBI and CIT are the equivalent to the lower-end bowl games. They'll essentially take anyone with a pulse that wants to pay to participate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Akron is in a position to be "above the CIT or CBI", considering we haven't even been able to win those tournaments when we've gone, let a lone a NCAAT game. If those are our best options, take them and get our guys some post season experience. In 2009-2010 VCU won the CBI. The following year they went from a play in game to the Final 4. Post season experience is important regardless where we get it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I am down for them playing as many games as possible.  I'm just not big on the finances of those types of tournaments where teams essentially buy home games, etc.

I believe it's $40k per home game 1st two rounds then jumps to $75k for every round thereafter. I wonder how that compares to us paying teams like Detroit Mercy or Coppin State to come to the JAR during the regular season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I believe it's $40k per home game 1st two rounds then jumps to $75k for every round thereafter. I wonder how that compares to us paying teams like Detroit Mercy or Coppin State to come to the JAR during the regular season?

I believe that we pay around $20-25k for the Coppin States of the world to come to the JAR. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think accepting the CBI or CIT invitation depends on your team.

 

I would loved to have seen the Dru/Rome 25-win team get any sort of post season chance to strut their stuff. I'm sure they would have too.

 

But for other, disinterested Dambrot teams it was a complete waste of money.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I believe it's $40k per home game 1st two rounds then jumps to $75k for every round thereafter. I wonder how that compares to us paying teams like Detroit Mercy or Coppin State to come to the JAR during the regular season?

Wow!  I did not know that!  Thanks for filling us in, am I the only one on the board who thought we got paid to be in?  That is a strange concept for me to grasp....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

Wow!  I did not know that!  Thanks for filling us in, am I the only one on the board who thought we got paid to be in?  That is a strange concept for me to grasp....

Only the team hosting pays and some amount of that goes towards covering the traveling teams transportation costs. There is no real media deal or much of any sponsorship tied to the tournament so charging teams to participate kind of is the only way to keep the tournaments afloat.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2018 at 9:34 AM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

 

In year 2 at OU, Groce beat Georgetown in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. In year 3, OU made it to the Quarterfinal of the CIT. In year 4, OU was an OT away again UNC from the Elite 8. 

 

I don't think he's "above" the CIT. 

 

I do agree the CBI and CIT should be dissolved into the NIT with a 64 team field. The NIT has never really bothered me, but the CBI and CIT do. The CBI and CIT are the equivalent to the lower-end bowl games. They'll essentially take anyone with a pulse that wants to pay to participate. 

I wouldn’t mind seeing the NIT expand as long as they don’t keep their “good ole boy” selection committee. If the NIT ever merged with the CBI and the mid- and low-major only CiT then I would want to see the two latter tourney selection committees be added to the NIT committee as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2018 at 5:45 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

I think accepting the CBI or CIT invitation depends on your team.

 

I would loved to have seen the Dru/Rome 25-win team get any sort of post season chance to strut their stuff. I'm sure they would have too.

 

But for other, disinterested Dambrot teams it was a complete waste of money.

 

I agree with this. I remember when the CBI was created that Romeo/Dru Akron team was one that was used as an example as to why the tournament was necessary. The CiT took it a step farther by being mid-major only.  

 

I agree these lower tournaments were more of a waste for those less interested Dambrot teams you mention. I don’t, however, think with good coaching that teams should not want to prove themselves in the postseason somewhere. I would hope that if the Zips fall short of the NCAA and are not selected by the NIT that the team would still want to continue to play and make a run at a tournament title.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dr Z said:

@ZipsMBB team on the rise. Maybe the MAC is as well?

 

 

This year is the best the MAC has been in two decades. Buffalo barring a MAC regular season letdown is already an at-large team and Toledo is currently on the edge of being a bubble team. Toledo would probably need to beat Buffalo to have any real chance of sneaking in with an at-large. Outside of those that MAC is filled with a lot of good to mediocre teams with really no cupcakes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2018 at 10:47 PM, zipsfan15 said:

I am NOT one of those people that gets offended.... but that's a terrible comment!   No place for that. 

 

I am NOT one of those people with a thin skin, but your judgemental comment deeply hurt my feelings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...