2019 Zips in Pro Leagues - Domestic and International

On 2/7/2019 at 2:44 PM, Zip_ME87 said:

DOMESTIC

Tacoma Defiance - Nick Hinds

So, Seattle Sounders2 is now #TacomaDefiance?  Hmmm...  Strange name!

Edit!  Never mind.  I just saw Zip_Me87's post with explainer: Point Defiance.  I believe that Nick Hinds should have a great opportunity to get increased playing time with the Sounders varsity this season -- though I'm not sure who he would be competing with in the rave green shirt.  Same goes for my Hawai'i homeboy Shandon Hopeau, who played a fine role as an attacking central midfielder last season.  Shandy and Nick became fast friends.  Was wondering if we'd see a former Zip on O'ahu at the state HS tourney last week. Shandon's sis was playing for the old school.

Edited by Z.I.P.

Richie Laryea is getting a lot of playing time for Toronto FC in pre season.

They are still showing him as a trialist

unrelated...Richie and his lady...welcomed a baby boy into the world yesterday on Valentine day.  Good wishes to Elijah Laryea and his very happy parents.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/02/12/colorado-rapids-0-toronto-fc-2-2019-mls-preseason-recap

TOR (4-2-3-1, R-L): GK - Alex Bono; Auro Jr., Chris Mavinga, Justin Morrow, Ashtone Morgan (Terique Mohammed^, 60); Michael Bradley, Liam Fraser (Dante Campbell^, 39); Nick DeLeon, Marky Delgado, Jonathan Osorio (Richie Laryea#, 39); Terrence Boyd

* = academy player
# = trialist
^ = TFC II player

• Thanks 1

A Degree 10 Years in the Making

For Portland Timbers defender Zarek Valentin, it was never a matter of if he would finish his degree, but when. 

In just three semesters at the University of Akron, he helped lead the Zips to back-to-back NCAA tournament appearances, where they ultimately captured the school's first National Championship title in 2010. After two successful seasons, Valentin elected to leave the university, becoming a part of the Zips' impressive draft class that included teammates Perry Kitchen and Darlington Nagbe.  He went on to sign a Generation Adidas contract and was drafted fourth overall in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft by Chivas USA. 

Ultimately, Valentin was selected by Montreal in the Expansion Draft, and spent the 2012 season with the Impact before going international and joining  FK Bodø/Glimt in Norway for two years. In 2016, he was traded by Montreal to Portland, and is preparing for his fourth season with the Timbers. 

This past December, Valentin graduated from Akron with a B.S. in Organizational Supervision after working for nearly ten years to finish his degree. He shared his story of persevering through an academic journey that spanned three different countries and why it was so important to him to graduate. ...

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

Credit to @TennZip for pointing me to this article which is tucked away in a Preseason section of MLSSoccer.com...

Reunited in Ohio: Wil Trapp, Caleb Porter lead Crew in new era

...Over seven seasons at the University of Akron, head coach Caleb Porter built a machine. During his final two before departing for Major League Soccer, Porter's midfield lynchpin wasn't an upperclassman, but a kid who would spend two seasons on campus turning heads, winning individual awards and team trophies before also heading to MLS.

It was a local kid, born and bred in Ohio, the 2010 NSCAA National High School Player of the Year. Together, the pair won two regular season MAC titles as well as one MAC Tournament title, with two NCAA Tournament bids over those two memorable years.

Now, Porter and former Akron standout Wil Trapp have reunited in Ohio once again as Porter inherits a Crew side led by that familiar face. ...

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 2

https://wreg.com/2019/02/20/memphis-901-fc-falls-in-friendly-to-back-to-back-usl-champs/

An exciting first half saw midfielder Adam Najem find the back of the net as Memphis and the defending league champions traded goals on an overcast afternoon at Vanderbilt University.

Wednesday’s friendly also held a special meaning for 901 FC defender Morgan Hackworth, who was able to play against his father John Hackworth who is Louisville City FC’s head coach.

The two will meet again in the regular season on April 30 when Memphis travels to Louisville.

• Like 1

- Jeff interviews Zarek about a wide range of topics
- Learn about Z’s family and how his brothers have influenced his passions
- Zarek’s career path and what it was like being a top draft pick
- Zarek gets real and opens up about his biggest failures as a soccer player
- We learn about his passion of shoes and music
- Why his college degree meant so much to him
- Rapid fire segments where we learn about some of his best and worst shoes as well as his dream concert

EDIT: Interview about Akron starting around 12:10 mark.

EDIT2:

40:29 - 40:34 getting to touch/grab Bruce Springsteen's butt.  lol

43:30   I always thought I would love to coach Akron one day. ... but you have to have a degree to do it... 

Edited by Zip_ME87