2019 Zips in Pro Leagues - Domestic and International

https://mlsmultiplex.com/2019/11/01/toronto-fc-vs-atlanta-united-3-things-learned-richie-laryea-x-factor/3/

In my preview of this match, I suggested Richie Laryea should have started on the right-wing in place of Tsubasa Endoh considering the former’s qualities on both sides of the ball. Even though Laryea did not start, he replaced Endoh at half-time, and his performance gave Greg Vanney plenty to ponder ahead of the MLS Cup.

Laryea was also solid from a defensive standpoint. He always made sure to track back and provide cover on right flank during defensive transitions, defended the back-post well even though he does not usually excel in the air and put his body on the line when cutting out Ezequiel Barco’s pass to Josef Martinez in stoppage time.

• Like 1

Congratulations to Zips Men's Soccer alum Marcel Zajac and Hamilton Forge FC on winning the inaugural Canadian Premier League championship.

https://canpl.ca/article/recap-forge-fc-crowned-cpl-champions-in-gritty-win-over-cavalry

• Like 2

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/simmons-rag-tag-reds-come-together-to-challenge-for-mls-cup

DeLeon was out of work, let go by D.C. United. Richie Laryea, a former first-round draft pick, was almost out of soccer, let go by Orlando City. Both now playing significant roles for the Eastern Conference champion Toronto FC.

“They didn’t think I was good enough,” said Laryea of Orlando. “You had to take that. It’s a hard thing to accept. They didn’t believe in me and then I came here. When a team stops believing in you, you have to keep believing in yourself.

“It’s been a challenge for me and Nick. The clubs we were with — we thought we were there for our careers. You think that way sometimes. You know one team. It’s all you know. It’s all you care about. And then they tell you they don’t want you. That’s heartbreaking.

• Like 1

Newcastle United 2-1 Bournemouth: Players show spirit as defenders lead way again - 5 things

... Another defender steps up with a goal

Newcastle may have spent big on their young, new look strike force in 2019 but it has been defenders who have bailed the black-and-whites out more often that not this season.

This time, it was DeAndre Yedlin's turn as the right wing-back, unmarked, met Allan Saint-Maximin's cross-come-shot with a diving header at the back post, which VAR confirmed was not offside. 

Yedlin became the sixth different defender to score for Newcastle this season. When you consider Newcastle have only scored 11 league goals this season, that contribution represents a whopping 64% of the Magpies' goals. ...

... Newcastle responded - DeAndre Yedlin and Ciaran Clark scoring either side of half-time - and, to a man the players have shown the right attitude since that humiliating defeat at Leicester. ...

https://aftn.ca/herdman-feels-tfcs-richie-laryea-is-only-going-to-keep-getting-better-as-breakthrough-mls-season-boosts-canada/

Canada national team coach - If you know him off the pitch, he’s just a wonderful human being that provides that foundation. He’s had a tough football story. His year hasn’t been an easy one and that’s where the grit comes from. You’re starting to see in this stage of his career what he really, really can offer. He’s going to keep getting better and that’s Canada’s win. Again, it’s just a wonderful story.”

Me...I'm going to sit back, watch and enjoy some good soccer with a number of Zips and NEO connections..

Saad Abdul-Salaam is on the SoundersFC roster but has not been in the 18 during for the last few playoff matches. Steve Zakuani is an analyst for the SoundersFC in addition to his playing career with them. Add that Drew Carey is a part owner to complete their NEO connections.

Of course, I will be rooting for and happy to see Richie do well on the field. He has had a great season with TorontoFC and has also played well for the Canadian MNT. 

Like in 2015, I will enjoy this MLS Cup Final, whichever way it goes.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

MLS Expansion draft on November 19th...

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/11/16/2019-mls-expansion-draft-official-list-players-eligible-selection

The 2019 MLS Expansion Draft will be held at 5:30 PM ET on Tuesday, November 19, streaming live on MLSsoccer.com and the free MLS app.

2019 MLS Expansion Draft Rules

Inter Miami CF and Nashville SC may select up to five players from the eligible MLS player pool below. Only a single player can be drafted from any one club. Once one player has been claimed from a club’s unprotected roster, Inter Miami and Nashville SC may not select any other players from that club's list.

• Five rounds
  • Three minutes for each selection
  • No timeouts
  • No trades permitted during the draft

Players and teams exempt from the draft

The five teams that had players selected by the FC Cincinnati in the 2018 MLS Expansion Draft are exempt from the 2019 Expansion Draft:

• FC Dallas
  • D.C. United
  • Houston Dynamo
  • New York Red Bulls
  • Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Players automatically exempt from the 2019 Expansion Draft:

• Generation adidas players (who did not graduate at the end of the 2019 season)
  • Homegrown Players ages 25 and under (those born during or after 1994)

Former Zips who are unprotected:

FC Cincinnati

• Ben Lundt
  • Darren Mattocks

LA Galaxy

• Perry Kitchen

Montreal Impact

• Evan Bush

New York City FC

• Abdi Mohamed

Portland Timbers

• Zarek Valentin

Seattle Sounders

• Saad Abdul-Salaam

• Like 1

I should also add former Zips who are [protected] not listed as unprotected, would include:

Colorado Rapids

• Dillon Serna, HGP 25 years old
  • Jonathan Lewis, Generation Adidas

Columbus Crew

• Darlington Nagbe
  • Captain Wil Trapp, HGP but older than 25

NE Revolution

• Teal Bunbury
  • Scott Caldwell, HGP but older than 25

Orlando City SC

• Joao Moutinho, still Generation Adidas, I believe

Toronto FC

• Richie Laryea, still Generation Adidas, I believe

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

...He’s going to be valuable for the Dynamo. He’s contributed everywhere he’s been before. But today’s selection still feels like a blow to both player and, now, his former club. One month after their biggest loss on the field, the Timbers and Valentin suffered another defeat off of it.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

a little bit older article....mid October....

but it has not been shared here...

happy to see Marcel Zajac get to play many minutes in his first pro season

https://www.insauga.com/inaugural-cpl-championship-brings-mississauga-flair

Forward Marcel Zajac put in more than 1,000 minutes in the CPL debut season. He also made 54 appearances with 35 starts over three years at Akron (2016-18).

The native of Mississauga represented Canada at the Youth National Team level, including matches with the U-17 squad. He also played his youth football at Sigma FC under Smyrniotis.

This article is 2+ months old now, but I don't think anyone posted it previously. Nice to see 2 Zips, DeAndre Yedlin and Darlington Nagbe, rightfully included in this list.

A dream 11 men's college soccer players active professionally

DeAndre Yedlin – Akron (2011-12)

In those two years, Yedlin appeared in each of the Zips’ 45 matches. The versatile wing back was a difficult matchup given his speed and thorough understanding of multiple positions. 

Yedlin tallied six assists in both years with Akron, helping the Zips to the third round of the NCAA tournament each time. He was a two-time All-MAC selection.

Since turning pro, Yedlin became the first Zip to play for the United States Men’s National Team at the FIFA World Cup. That international attention prompted a move from the MLS to the English Premier League, where he currently plays for Newcastle United.

Darlington Nagbe – Akron (2008-10)

Nagbe began his career at Akron as a freshman beginning to scratch the surface of his potential. By the end of his junior year, the midfielder was the engine that drove Akron to its first-ever national championship.

The Zips were at the pinnacle of college soccer during Nagbe’s tenure, going 62-4-7 in that stretch. Nagbe registered 57 points over his career, was twice named an All-American, in addition to three All-MAC nods, a place on the College Cup All-Tournament Team and the 2010 MAC Hermann Award 

He’s played the full extent of his professional career in the MLS. After seven seasons with the Portland Timbers, Nagbe was traded to Atlanta United. He’s won two MLS Cup titles, one with each club.

• Like 1