2019 Zips in Pro Leagues - Domestic and International

All 3 former Akron players for memphis...get mentioned in this long article

Does not sound like that Abdi had his best game...but he had to adjust due to an injury.  Abdi improved greatly during his time with Akron. Abdi will learn by playing and will be much better in the next match.

Sounds like Morgan made a good cross...that led to a goal by Adam.

At the end of the article....The writer is very complimentary of Adam

https://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/901-fc-just-miss-out-in-new-jersey-thriller/Content?oid=20033708

Morgan Hackworth received a pass in the Red Bulls’ 18 and fizzed a low cross through the box which found its way to Duane Muckette, who would have been perfectly entitled to take a crack on goal. Instead, he played a first-time ball back into the center of the box to the elusive Adam Najem, who directed the ball into the net with his knee.

Quick Notes

*Adam Najem is truly a classy player. Whenever he has time on the ball, he makes things happen on the offensive side of the game. He moved well in the box to score early, and it was his reverse pass that sparked Memphis’ 29th hectic 29th minute sequence. Play needs to run through him to optimize 901 FC’s chances for victory. Look out for more of his link-up play with Muckette in the midfield.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.localmemphis.com/news/local-news/901-fc-still-without-a-home-win/1979377081

Just two minutes later, 901 FC midfielder Adam Najem dished out perhaps the assist of the season to forward Duane Muckette who put Memphis up 2-1 in the 86th minute. Najem used his blazing speed to get to the Birmingham end line and when he found himself running out of room. Najem slid, tapped the ball along the end line to himself and found Muckette waiting to tap it in from close range.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to Jonathan Lewis

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/05/25/colorado-rapids-3-columbus-crew-sc-2-2019-mls-match-recap

MAN OF THE MATCH: Jonathan Lewis. The former New York City FC man may have scored his first goal for the Rapids. Equally impressive was his incisive passing, giving his new team a dimension they have often lacked prior to his arrival at the MLS Primary Transfer Window deadline.

If only I had a dollar for every high school soccer match I have attended....

Best HS match ever was 2005 D2 District Final between arch-rivals CVCA and Walsh, hosted by Twinsburg HS.  Among many, many lesser lights playing in that match who also went on to play college ball, Ben Zemanski and Ben Speas for Royals with Michael Nanchoff for Warriors.  Nice high school match-up, eh?   I must say that Zemanski bossed the match, being the senior of the bunch.  Nanchoff and Speas were juniors.  I recall learning from Ben's father, Dan Zemanski, during the match that Ben had committed to Akron.  And then Royals won in OT!  Great match!

I have this match recorded on DVD, believe it or not.  If you want a copy, we will find a way.

Congratulations to Ben Zemanski on a perfectly stellar soccer career!  I have watched Ben from afar since his freshman year in high school, maybe earlier.  I coached against him, even played against him (indoor).  Yes.  I enjoy the dubious distinction of having been burnt by multiple generations of Zemanskis.  (cough)

As he progressed in levels of play, Ben was not always the most talented on the pitch, but he was usually among the smartest players, even on the professional level.  He is probably my favorite Royal and my favorite Zip.  Remember Caleb Porter referring to BZ as "our beating heart."  That is the kind of player Ben was.  And now his watch has ended.  He will likely soon be terrorizing some over 30 league somewhere.  Look out.

But the big question:  How long before Ben Zemanski matriculates to Zips' bench?                                 (I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.)

• 2 weeks later...