2019 MLS Combine and SuperDraft

2019 MLS Combine: Jan. 3-9 at Orlando City Stadium in Orlando, Fla.

2019 MLS SuperDraft: Jan. 11 at McCormick Place convention center in Chicago. (2019 Expansion team FC Cincinnati will have the top pick in the SuperDraft.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2018 at 9:30 PM, TennZip said:

... Best MLS fits: With the No. 1 pick, Mohamed’s likely not a candidate to go to FC Cincinnati, but the new MLS side would be smart to snap up the Ohio native. He could also thrive under Columbus Crew SC if they go with Caleb Porter as the new head coach. ...

Edited by Zip_ME87

Still awaiting the official 2019 Generation Adidas announcement which has to be coming in the next few days given that the Combine begins this week/weekend. Thanks to @TennZip for sending me this:

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/amaya-robinson-to-headline-mls-generation-adidas-class/23ke1chi5oh81q0pqi2y4gi52

Last updated 12 hours ago

...Akron University [cringe] forward David Egbo is another player who has drawn consideration as a Generation adidas target after scoring 13 goals for a Zips squad that reached the NCAA final four, but as of Tuesday he has not signed a deal. ...

Edited by Zip_ME87

Thanks again to @TennZip for pointing me to this:

The MLS SuperDraft is Coming: Who Loons fans should care about

... A more possible defensive pickup would be Akron’s Abdi Mohamed. The Ohio native spent three years as a box-to-box type with Ohio State, but looking for an added challenge he joined a Zips side that promptly threw him in as a right back. His technical ability showed in his new position, helping to anchor a young defense that made a surprise run to the 2018 NCAA College Cup Final. His versatility in being able to fill two positions of need could serve him especially well in Minnesota, with the added potential of being a face for a team reaching out to the Twin Cities’ East African community. ...

EDIT: My bad, I looked at the list but didn't read the caveat Ives included in his write-up ... "...as well two more top prospects, Manny Perez and David Egbo, who could still be signed to the group."

Modified post: I thought Ives was reporting David Egbo among signed GA players because of the list he posted in his mls draft article below.

https://sbisoccer.com/2019/01/sbi-2019-mls-draft-big-board-version-1-0

Edited by Zip_ME87

https://sbisoccer.com/2019/01/sbi-2019-mls-draft-big-board-version-1-0

Out of 70 players he listed, Ives currently has 

David Egbo at #6 [if offered & signs a Generation Adidas deal]

Abdi Mohammed at #19

Ben Lundt at #63

Armchair Analyst: 2019 Mock Superdraft v1.0

Prediction...

#18 Columbus Crew

Abdi Mohamed

RB - AKRON

Columbus need fullback depth, and so they turn to a local program to draft a local kid. Something tells me the new Crew SC head coach will have an affinity for Akron products as well..

1 hour ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Armchair Analyst: 2019 Mock Superdraft v1.0

Prediction...

#18 Columbus Crew

Abdi Mohamed

RB - AKRON

Columbus need fullback depth, and so they turn to a local program to draft a local kid. Something tells me the new Crew SC head coach will have an affinity for Akron products as well..

That would be great if Abdi could stay in Ohio.   

Just now, TennZip said:

Thanks. 7 total...

1. UCLA midfielder Frankie Amaya,

2. Syracuse winger Tajon Buchanan,

3. Indiana winger Griffin Dorsey,

4. Virginia Commonwealth winger Siad Haji (pictured above),

5. UNC defender John Nelson,

6. Maryland goalkeeper Dayne St. Clair and

7. Kentucky forward JJ Williams

22 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

That’s good news, right?

Yes. I think all will be well-served by another season with the Zips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

That’s good news, right?

YAAAAAAAAYYYYY!  Stability....Familiarity....And I know you guys don't agree with me, but I'm glad to have not seen another exodus (for good reason and better stuff, I agree...) from FES/CCF!  

12:30 pm ET today

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/01/05/team-copa-vs-team-nemeziz

2:45 pm ET today

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/01/05/team-predator-vs-team-x

Rosters: https://mlssoccer.app.box.com/s/nxpus3mwy70vrvtt393g1qlwe9ylunmw

D Abdi Mohammed (#24) - Team Copa

GK Ben Lundt (#14) - Team X

Edited by Zip_ME87

On 1/4/2019 at 1:59 PM, ZipsVoice said:

YAAAAAAAAYYYYY!  Stability....Familiarity....And I know you guys don't agree with me, but I'm glad to have not seen another exodus (for good reason and better stuff, I agree...) from FES/CCF!  

@ZipsVoice I don't disagree with you. I'm also happy to have all of our underclassmen players returning for 2019. As I've said, I think they will all benefit from at least another year in our system before turning pro. My point has always been and remains that we shouldn't look at it negatively when our underclassmen have the opportunity, and take it, to turn pro early. That is a reflection of the quality of our program and its players as well as a great recruiting tool. I can't understand not being excited about that even if we have to learn new names and faces from year-to-year as long as the results continue. Various numbers have been put out there for the 2018 season because I think a couple of our players may have left the team during the season. However, as I recall, the 2018 Fall Season began with 19 of 32 players being new (not with the 2017 Zips) and no doubt ended with a National Runner Up trophy...confirmation of the quality of our coaches and the players they recruit. Regardless of player turnover, and bumps along the way, our coaches and players work extremely hard and can compete with any other D-I program. Soccer continues to grow in the USA and Ohio...FC Cincinnati and a resurgence of the Crew, the team that built the first soccer-specific stadium in the USA and was one of the original MLS teams, is evidence of that. We currently have the best soccer team in NEO playing on our campus. I hope other UA alumni, friends, fans, etc., whether soccer fans or not, let others know what we have right here...see future professionals of all levels (USL, MLS, EPL, National teams [USA, Afghanistan, Thailand], other leagues in various parts of the world [e.g., Costa Rica, Europe, Thailand]) right here in Akron at a very reasonable price.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

My point has always been and remains that we shouldn't look at it negatively when our underclassmen have the opportunity, and take it, to turn pro early. That is a reflection of the quality of our program and its players as well as a great recruiting tool. I can't understand not being excited about that even if we have to learn new names and faces from year-to-year as long as the results continue. 

I know...it's a double edged sword for me.  You are absolutely right about this, and I do get excited and do talk it up to non-Zips fans, and point to the number of pros and number of trophies we have with the MSOC program....So on the one hand I am a vocal (imagine that?) advocate and cheerleader to what we have produced, but then somewhere inside me is the "old school" guy that likes to see a sports team - any sport - at U of A have players stick around for me to get to know and root for for more than 20 games.  Joao is a fine example, just when I felt like I started to "know" him...poof!  I'm just schizophrenic sometimes!!!  B)  The days of 3 year or 4 year seniors in all NCAA sports (with the same school) are sadly IMHO a thing of the past.  

• Like 1

Watch the 2019 MLS Player Combine games live on Wednesday

Team Nemeziz vs. Team X (Ben Lundt) kicking things off at 10 am ET, followed by Team Copa (Abdi Mohamed) vs. Team Predator at 12:15 pm ET.

Edited by Zip_ME87