Welcome Tom Arth!

Let'sGoZips94

19 hours ago, mhowell15101 said:

Found an article that summarized his first year at UTC -- lost 3 QBs in the first month of the season to injury, plus a couple of running backs. Improved toward the end of the season as his 4th stringer got more experience and played better. 

For what that's worth ...  :)

This board allows no excuse for injuries.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Except for the Ianello train wreck,if I am not mistaken, Owens, Brookhart and as we know Bowden got more than 5 years. 

If  AFTER 5 years Arth does not have a a total record in the MAC OVER .500 and has not won the East Div. at least 2 times you can start looking for another HC. Only the MAC record counts!

Thats where they play.They need to be competitive every year IN THE MAC. They need to beat  OU, Buffalo,Miami,KSU,NIU, Toledo....etc,etc. If they win 5 in the MAC they can still get to some obscure bowl game.

I hope he has some really good assistants lined up. He has some talent on this roster,DEPENDING on which players BAIL on him. This is more like a Brookhart situation than an Ianello situation.

Hit the ground running or lose more fan support. I am hopeful that when I buy my season tix for next year I will be seeing a more competitive MAC program.

7 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Well Steve French did say during post game that he is "really good looking,"

Well that makes me feel so much more confident in this hire. Now I can sleep at night. :zzz:

5 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Yes.  Seriously, he is.

OK, I do buy that he is better than Bowden, but that doesn't mean we couldn't have done better. I'd like to see Williams explain this hire. Did he speak with Kehres? Was Kehres even interested? Was Getsy contacted and was he interested? I realize Luke had a higher salary than we might offer, but he had the chance to run his own program at his alma mater which is very alluring. When the university asks us to donate our money but they don't answer these probing questions I find my confidence in their leadership dropping. Help me understand what is so great about a guy who took over a program that averaged over 9 wins per season and he subsequently averages 4 wins per season and we want him. Why?

In any matter in life past success is the best predictor of future success. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dre22era said:

Akron Hoban HS coach Tim Tyrrell just won 4 straight State Championship in 6 years. Did we even make him an offer? 

We have a powerhouse in our backyard and don't even take advantage 

I won 4 straight FIFA18 EA Sports Premier League titles on my laptop....but the U didn't interview me to replace Jared Embick....I'm pissed!  Yeah, HS head to a D1 head....I'm sure that's what you want...oh no, you just want to be critical of the Zips no matter what they do, I forgot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

I won 4 straight FIFA18 EA Sports Premier League titles on my laptop....but the U didn't interview me to replace Jared Embick....I'm pissed!  Yeah, HS head to a D1 head....I'm sure that's what you want...oh no, you just want to be critical of the Zips no matter what they do, I forgot.

I hear the coach at Norwayne is pretty good.  Creston...right in our backyard.

• Like 1

This is a potential disaster. No real notable credentials and we expect this guy to outshine Bowden? Are you kidding me?! AND we have to buy out his other contract? Amidst a financial crisis that has resulted in significant academic reductions, this is criminal. At least we aren't hearing about what a great "recruiter" he is. The AD and football program no longer have my support or confidence. They are both detrimental to the overall best interests of UA.

As evidence by the reactions here, this hire does nothing to inject excitement into the fan base, which is ironic given that this was part of the justification for Bowden being fired. Sounds like the same kind of logic used in explaining the program cuts while admitting they don't actually save UA money. Something universally toxic seems to be afoot.

I could have supported Getsy being hired, but not a guy who has no experience at this level and whose only head coaching experience includes taking a good FCS program and making it worse while carrying player injuries as an excuse. An excuse that was not allowed for Bowden during one down season after several seasons of success. Oh the hypocrisy! :puke:

Edited by UAZipster0305

3 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

This is a potential disaster. No real notable credentials and we expect this guy to outshine Bowden? Are you kidding me?! AND we have to buy out his other contract? Amidst a financial crisis that has resulted in significant academic reductions, this is criminal. At least we aren't hearing about what a great "recruiter" he is. The AD and football program no longer have my support or confidence. They are both detrimental to the overall best interests of UA.

As evidence by the reactions here, this hire does nothing to inject excitement into the fan base, which is ironic given that this was part of the justification for Bowden being fired. Sounds like the same kind of logic used in explaining the programs cuts while admitting they don't actually save UA money. Something universally toxic seems to be afoot.

I could have supported Getsy being hired, but not a guy who has no experience at this level and whose only head coaching experience includes taking a good FCS program and making it worse while carrying player injuries as an excuse. An excuse that was not allowed for Bowden during one down season after several seasons of success. Oh the hypocrisy! :puke:

Not arguing with you, he also has head coaching experience at John Carroll where he was 40-8.  I agree with a lot of what you say and am very concerned but I am going to support him.  If it doesn’t work, that could change.

Go Zips, maybe since Coach Arth is only 37 he can help us finish the climb.  I think it was to much for 62 year old Coach Bowden.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2018 at 6:10 PM, mhowell15101 said:

Found an article that summarized his first year at UTC -- lost 3 QBs in the first month of the season to injury, plus a couple of running backs. Improved toward the end of the season as his 4th stringer got more experience and played better. 

For what that's worth ...  :)

Bowden didn't get that excuse in his favor, neither does the new guy.

On 12/14/2018 at 5:34 PM, morris buttermaker said:

I liked George Thomas’ article ... no quotes or comments from Larry, but lots from a 25 yr old salesman and ex lineman who played for Arth for 4 years and coached with him for a yr telling us this is a good hire.

Sounds strangely similar to the hype when iCoach was hired.

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

Not arguing with you, he also has head coaching experience at John Carroll where he was 40-8.  I agree with a lot of what you say and am very concerned but I am going to support him.  If it doesn’t work, that could change.

Go Zips, maybe since Coach Arth is only 37 he can help us finish the climb.  I think it was to much for 62 year old Coach Bowden.

I was unaware of this; however, it changes my impression very little. If it were at Mount Union with a 40-3ish record and a couple of National Championships followed by success at the FCS level, I'd feel differently. Instead, I feel that our pool of coach applicants was pretty shallow.

1 hour ago, UAZipster0305 said:

As evidence by the reactions here, this hire does nothing to inject excitement into the fan base, which is ironic given that this was part of the justification for Bowden being fired. Sounds like the same kind of logic used in explaining the programs cuts while admitting they don't actually save UA money. Something universally toxic seems to be afoot.

Good. Looking forward to your constant crying disappearing from the football board. Funny that you want to cry about finances when Getsy would have been by far the most expensive option (assuming he even had interest). Funny you want to cry about his HC experience when Getsy has none.  You're also pretty clueless being that you didn't know he was HC at JCU. Tough to take your opinion too seriously.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

OK, I do buy that he is better than Bowden, but that doesn't mean we couldn't have done better. I'd like to see Williams explain this hire. Did he speak with Kehres? Was Kehres even interested? Was Getsy contacted and was he interested? I realize Luke had a higher salary than we might offer, but he had the chance to run his own program at his alma mater which is very alluring. When the university asks us to donate our money but they don't answer these probing questions I find my confidence in their leadership dropping. Help me understand what is so great about a guy who took over a program that averaged over 9 wins per season and he subsequently averages 4 wins per season and we want him. Why?

In any matter in life past success is the best predictor of future success. 

Tough to get answers when there isn't anyone to ask them, eh? We're criticizing Larry W. when we have no clue what did and didn't happen behind the scenes. George was too busy showing off his scarlet colored shoes to a "fan" dressed in buckeye gear at the game yesterday.

Looking forward to the introduction presser to see Arth and maybe Larry address some of these things. It would also be nice to get some info on coaching hires. I was at the basketball game yesterday and was thinking to myself I'm glad Arth wasn't there to be introduced. He's got work to do with recruiting and putting together his staff. Hopefully thats what was going on.