Welcome Tom Arth!

Let'sGoZips94

5 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

I was unaware of this; however, it changes my impression very little. If it were at Mount Union with a 40-3ish record and a couple of National Championships followed by success at the FCS level, I'd feel differently. Instead, I feel that our pool of coach applicants was pretty shallow.

He also spent 3 years in NFL with Colts as Peyton Manning’s back up & is very close with him & was a reference for Arth.  

Arth was not my first choice but I am going to give him a chance.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Good. Looking forward to your constant crying disappearing from the football board. Funny that you want to cry about finances when Getsy would have been by far the most expensive option (assuming he even had interest). Funny you want to cry about his HC experience when Getsy has none.  You're also pretty clueless being that you didn't know he was HC at JCU. Tough to take your opinion too seriously.

Logical explanation is hardly crying. If your side had logic in its favor, there would be no need for such discussions.

You won't see me on the game boards for sure, but I will be back to say, told you so.

Success as a coach at the high school or D-III level has little  to do with running a dominant MAC program unless these things are part of a greater resume that includes consistent dominance at all levels of coaching including FCS.

Edited by UAZipster0305

5 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

Arth was not my first choice but I am going to give him a chance.

Everyone should give him a chance and support him 100% until its determined we shouldn't. We as a fan base need to be better. It'll only make us more attractive in the future. I'm not much a fan of media myself, but there seems to be plenty of approval from the move in that realm.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

I won 4 straight FIFA18 EA Sports Premier League titles on my laptop....but the U didn't interview me to replace Jared Embick....I'm pissed!  Yeah, HS head to a D1 head....I'm sure that's what you want...oh no, you just want to be critical of the Zips no matter what they do, I forgot.

You clearly don't know s-h-i-t about football. 

Tommy Tuberville 

Chad Morris 

David Cutcliffe 

Chip Kelly 

Paul Johnson 

Bill Snyder  

Lovie Smith  

Gus Malzahn

All were high school coaches. Tim Tyrrell is the best recruiter in Northeast Ohio 

Edited by dre22era

12 hours ago, dre22era said:

Akron Hoban HS coach Tim Tyrrell just won 4 straight State Championship in 6 years. Did we even make him an offer? 

We have a powerhouse in our backyard and don't even take advantage 

I would rather see Arth recruit AND GET some of the top talent from Hoban.That would do a number of positive things for the program.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Everyone should give him a chance and support him 100% until its determined we shouldn't. We as a fan base need to be better. It'll only make us more attractive in the future. I'm not much a fan of media myself, but there seems to be plenty of approval from the move in that realm.

As I said previously. No matter who had gotten the job he gets 5 years. Over .500 in the MAC and a couple of firsts in the division after 5 years. Thats better than we have seen in along time.

Edited by Lee Adams
spelling

23 hours ago, LZIp said:

Everyone should give him a chance and support him 100% until its determined we shouldn't. We as a fan base need to be better. It'll only make us more attractive in the future.

I appreciate that you feel that way, but I do not. Bowden earned my loyalty, at least for another year.

What have the Browns fans gotten for all their loyalty over the years? Blind loyalty enables malevolence and the repetition of history.

Edited by UAZipster0305

6 minutes ago, dre22era said:

Tommy Tuberville 

Chad Morris 

David Cutcliffe 

Chip Kelly 

Paul Johnson 

Bill Snyder  

Lovie Smith  

Gus Malzahn

All were high school coaches. Tim Tyrrell is the best recruiter in Northeast Ohio 

Meh. This is kind of a bad post. I don't even need to look it up to guarantee 90+% of that list had some sort of collegiate experience prior to being named HC at the D-1 level.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Meh. This is kind of a bad post. I don't even need to look it up to guarantee 90+% of that list had some sort of collegiate experience prior to being named HC at the D-1 level.

So please answer this question

Where do you think the average coach starts in regards to establishing a career? 

Im curious 

Writing off HS coaches with proven winning records is  beyond hilarious to me especially when it comes to being considered a coaching job at a mid major school. 

Yall acting like coaching at Akron is equivalent to Note Dame 

Hell I bet Hoban had a better home attendance than Akron this season 

Im gonna pray for yall...... Seriously 

A local coach with notoriety that would also help put people in the stands oh how dare I consider such a thing 

Edited by dre22era

10 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

I appreciate that you feel that way, but I do not. Bowden earned my loyalty, at least for another year.

What have the Browns fans gotten for all their loyalty over the years? Blind loyalty enables malevolence and enables history to repeat itself.

I guess that opinion re: Bowden is fair, but disdain for the Bowden firing shouldn't be held against him.

BTW - Don't look now, but the Browns have a franchise QB and are in the playoff hunt!

Edited by LZIp

6 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

What have the Browns fans gotten for all their loyalty over the years? Blind loyalty enables malevolence and enables history to repeat itself.

Again not trying to argue but your last statement of blind loyalty would be the same to me in giving Bowden another year, we already know the results 5-7

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

Again not trying to argue but your last statement of blind loyalty would be the same to me in giving Bowden another year, we already know the results 5-7

With the status quo, I'd agree. I think forcing the replacement of Milwee would make a tremendous difference. If not, moving on after the end of a contract as opposed to having to buy it out makes a big difference.

And I guess he is a homer too 

4 minutes ago, LZIp said:

my Point exactly...I know enough to know Dre is full of what he thinks I know nothing of....okay Mr Know-it-all Dre, tell me which of your list went HS HC to D1” Hc directly?  In fact tell me any one who has done so?  

20 minutes ago, dre22era said:

Tommy Tuberville 

Chad Morris 

David Cutcliffe 

Chip Kelly 

Paul Johnson 

Bill Snyder  

Lovie Smith  

Gus Malzahn

Zero of these guys went straight from HS to division 1 head coach. Chip Kelly never even coached HS football. The average # of positions held between HS coach and D1 HC is roughly 5 per Wikipedia browsing, and about 5-10 years to get from HS coach to D1 HC. Your post doesn't even really deserve the effort of looking all of this up but it's completely ludicrous to expect any HS coach to be able to jump to D1 football and succeed as a head coach.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I guess that opinion re: Bowden is fair, but I don't think that should be held against Arth as a result. Disdain for the Bowden firing shouldn't be held against him.

BTW - Don't look now, but the Browns have a franchise QB and are in the playoff hunt!

No, Arth and the situation should be blamed on the AD, which I have clearly done. I'm not actively rooting against Arth, I just have zero confidence based on what he has achieved in his career so far. I also know that the resources associated with his buyout from FCS and Bowden's buyout are a tremendous waste that would be better spent on just about anything else at UA.

The Browns are finally looking good, and are poised to be on the fringe of the playoffs for the first time in a decade. If they make it, I believe it will only be the second time in the past 25+ years. In addition to their epically bad, record-breaking losing seasons, the Browns are the worst franchise in the NFL during that period. Similar things could be said regarding the Zips though until very recently, EMU may have been worse.

1 hour ago, UAZipster0305 said:

This is a potential disaster. No real notable credentials and we expect this guy to outshine Bowden? Are you kidding me?! AND we have to buy out his other contract? Amidst a financial crisis that has resulted in significant academic reductions, this is criminal. At least we aren't hearing about what a great "recruiter" he is. The AD and football program no longer have my support or confidence. They are both detrimental to the overall best interests of UA.

As evidence by the reactions here, this hire does nothing to inject excitement into the fan base, which is ironic given that this was part of the justification for Bowden being fired. Sounds like the same kind of logic used in explaining the programs cuts while admitting they don't actually save UA money. Something universally toxic seems to be afoot.

I could have supported Getsy being hired, but not a guy who has no experience at this level and whose only head coaching experience includes taking a good FCS program and making it worse while carrying player injuries as an excuse. An excuse that was not allowed for Bowden during one down season after several seasons of success. Oh the hypocrisy! :puke:

I too had hoped Getsy would be the guy. Even e-mailed some people at the Athletic Department. Don't know for sure but, if Getsy was making the published $600,00/year at MSU it would have been real hard for him to walk away from that. He will get an HC position in the future. Not as positive about Bowden's overall record after his time as you are. But, on the surface this seems to be a different hire than Ianello. Certainly the talent left on the team is better than when Ianello left. But,we have to see who bails.

As far as exciting the fan base if the program starts winning consistently more fans will pay attention. Thats the only way over time that will happen.

If finances are that much of a hinderance it might be time to look at 'downsizing' the football program before the next guy is hired.

6 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Zero of these guys went straight from HS to division 1 head coach. Chip Kelly never even coached HS football. The average # of positions held between HS coach and D1 HC is roughly 5 per Wikipedia browsing, and about 5-10 years to get from HS coach to D1 HC. Your post doesn't even really deserve the effort of looking all of this up but it's completely ludicrous to expect any HS coach to be able to jump to D1 football and succeed as a head coach.

You took 15 minutes to search "wikipedia" and im the idiot 
Ok sir you win. I know absolutely nothing about football 

10 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

It was time to change.  I think they should have fired Bowden last year after the Cherry Bowl.  Loyalty...hmm...my loyalty is to the University and not to some average football coach with zero connection to this community.

If you are loyal to the University as a whole, then you should recognize that sports are a luxury for an academic institution and push for the preservation of scarce resources. Firing a football coach who brought us back from the abyss with several years left on his contract is wasteful and detrimental to the University. There is no other way around that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dre22era said:

You took 15 minutes to search "wikipedia" and im the idiot 
Ok sir you win. I know absolutely nothing about football 

No you know everything about being a troll...you’ve been asked to name 1 Hs Head Coach who went straight to being a D 1 NCAA head coach....but all you do is deflect.  Okay Wise Guy, name me one...

Edited by ZipsVoice