Welcome Tom Arth!

Let'sGoZips94

1 hour ago, 94zipgrad said:

He also spent 3 years in NFL with Colts as Peyton Manning’s back up & is very close with him & was a reference for Arth.  

Arth was not my first choice but I am going to give him a chance.

I do like the fact the Arth has a strong background as a QB especially at the professional level. One would think that by being a backup to Manning that some knowledge about QB play specifically and offensive play generally would rub off. Maybe he can improve the caliber of play at that position here. Here is hoping.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

If you are loyal to the University as a whole, then you should recognize that sports are a luxury for an academic institution and push for the preservation of scarce resources. Firing a football coach who brought us back from the abyss with several years left on his contract is wasteful and detrimental to the University. There is no other way around that.

Larry Williams scheduled the SC game and we got paid 1.3m that the program/University otherwise wouldn't have had. That gave us enough money to pay for TB's buyout (assuming it is needed and he doesn't take a job with the U a la Scarborough), Tom Arth's buyout, and STILL have money left over. Larry talked a little bit this year about how football really is pretty much a break even sport with the TV deal and some other things the U gets that it otherwise wouldn't have without football. 

John Groce's contract is also dirt cheap for the first two years. We are saving A LOT as a result of KD deciding to leave us. Seems a bit odd to single out football but no complaining about the other sports, especially the non-revenue generating ones.

9 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

I too had hoped Getsy would be the guy. Even e-mailed some people at the Athletic Department. Don't know for sure but, if Getsy was making the published $600,00/year at MSU it would have been real hard for him to walk away from that. He will get an HC position in the future. Not as positive about Bowden's overall record after his time as you are. But, on the surface this seems to be a different hire than Ianello. Certainly the talent left on the team is better than when Ianello left. But,we have to see who bails.

As far as exciting the fan base if the program starts winning consistently more fans will pay attention. Thats the only way over time that will happen.

If finances are that much of a hinderance it might be time to look at 'downsizing' the football program before the next guy is hired.

Solid post. Sometimes a more prestigious title can justify a pay cut. There are more things valuable to a job than just the money. Independence, creativity, stability, and location all come to mind. Who knows what Getsy felt about those things, but it was a conversation worth having . After Bowden's next year, if more of the same, I would have backed the AD making Getsy an offer that was comparable to Bowden's...provided a financial solution could be found not involving the football program.

Amen. When 80+ academic programs get cut, we are at that point. Unfortunately, I think we should go as far as to consider suspending football and doing the same for a Title IX commensurate number of women's programs that have not been successful. Once the University has financially recovered, these programs could be reinstated. The discontinuation and subsequent reinstatement after a few years absence has worked miracles for UAB's football program.

5 hours ago, LZIp said:

Larry Williams scheduled the SC game and we got paid 1.3m that the program/University otherwise wouldn't have had. That gave us enough money to pay for TB's buyout (assuming it is needed and he doesn't take a job with the U a la Scarborough), Tom Arth's buyout, and STILL have money left over. Larry talked a little bit this year about how football really is pretty much a break even sport with the TV deal and some other things the U gets that it otherwise wouldn't have without football. 

John Groce's contract is also dirt cheap for the first two years. We are saving A LOT as a result of KD deciding to leave us. Seems a bit odd to single out football but no complaining about the other sports, especially the non-revenue generating ones.

SC was revenue neutral. We still have not been paid by Nebraska.

If we saved money on KD's contract, it should be redirected to academics rather than expanding or reinvesting in athletics. As I posted above this, but after yours, I'm all for contracting other sports to shrink the athletics budget.

And just to be clear, I LOVE the Zips. I've attended many football and basketball games and have traveled many times to watch men's soccer. I think it is great that we have top-25 track rifle, and swimming and diving teams. However, I do not think that a sizeable and important portion of our academic programs should be cut while athletics expand and waste money. Athletics are a luxury.

Edited by UAZipster0305

1 minute ago, UAZipster0305 said:

Absolutely was not revenue neutral. If the game wasn't scheduled, we still wouldn't have gotten paid by Nebraska, which the cancellation was in no way Akron's fault. The University has 1.3m that it would not otherwise have had if that game wasn't scheduled. Its not like we swapped one for the other. Circumstances beyond anyone's control screwed us and Larry W. turned lemons into lemonade.

BTW - we did get half of the Nebraska payout, which I think is a solid alternative to battling it out in the courts and potentially getting it years down the road.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

Solid post. Sometimes a more prestigious title can justify a pay cut. There are more things valuable to a job than just the money. Independence, creativity, stability, and location all come to mind. Who knows what Getsy felt about those things, but it was a conversation worth having . After Bowden's next year, if more of the same, I would have backed the AD making Getsy an offer that was comparable to Bowden's...provided a financial solution could be found not involving the football program.

Amen. When 80+ academic programs get cut, we are at that point. Unfortunately, I think we should go as far as to consider suspending football and doing the same for a Title IX commensurate number of women's programs that have not been successful. Once the University has financially recovered, these programs could be reinstated. The discontinuation and subsequent reinstatement after a few years absence has worked miracles for UAB's football program.

I wasn't really referring to getting rid of sports programs like football,b.ball etc. Was thinking more about 'moving down' to a different level of competition that would require a lesser financial obligation. But, thats a wait and see situation. Hopefully,the program will improve over the next few seasons.

Edited by Lee Adams
spelling

8 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Absolutely was not revenue neutral. If the game wasn't scheduled, we still wouldn't have gotten paid by Nebraska, which the cancellation was in no way Akron's fault. The University has 1.3m that it would not otherwise have had if that game wasn't scheduled. Its not like we swapped one for the other. Circumstances beyond anyone's control screwed us and Larry W. turned lemons into lemonade.

BTW - we did get half of the Nebraska payout, which I think is a solid alternative to battling it out in the courts and potentially getting it years down the road.

SC needed a game and so did we. It worked out. I can't anoint someone a hero for doing their job. If SC paid us $1.3 million for the game, it was obviously worth it to them from a revenue perspective. We were lucky  they needed a game.

I have not seen anything publicly posted about getting paid for the Nebraska game. I'm fine if it was half now while avoiding litigation, I just have not seen that.

Edited by UAZipster0305

16 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

No you know everything about being a troll...you’ve been asked to name 1 Hs Head Coach who went straight to being a D 1 NCAA head coach....but all you do is deflect.  Okay Wise Guy, name me one...

Hell why not make an a$$ out of you and whoever else trying to check me. 

There once was a guy who lead Cincinnati Moeller HS to 7 unbeaten seasons, 4 national prep titles, and 5 State Titles in his last 6 seasons. 

Then got hired as a head coach by some college name Notre Dame and later coached at some school this goddamn message board is named from = Akron 

His name is Gerry Faust

8 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

If we saved money on KD's contract, it should be redirected to academics rather than expanding or reinvesting in academics. As I posted above this, but after yours, I'm all for contracting other sports to shrink the athletics budget.

We got $650,000 for Nebraskra & will go back in 2025 for another mil+ game, it worked out plus the 2.5 mil for Northwestern & South Carolina we had a good financial year.  We only have 1 pay day next year with Illinois

11 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

I wasn't really referring to getting rid of sports programs like football,b.ball etc. Was thinking more about 'moving down' to a different level of competition that would require a lesser financial obligation. But, thats a wait and see situation. Hopefully,the program will improve over the next few seasons.

I am fine with that too. We could still get our money game every season while downsize on salaries and scholarships.

Altering athletics for the benefit of academics and the overall financial well-being of the University is what I'm saying needs to happen.

Edited by UAZipster0305

4 minutes ago, dre22era said:

Hell why not make an a$$ out of you and whoever else trying to check me. 

There once was a guy who lead Cincinnati Moeller HS to 7 unbeaten seasons, 4 national prep titles, and 5 State Titles in his last 6 seasons. 

Then got hired as a head coach by some college name Notre Dame and later coached at some school this goddamn message board is named from = Akron 

His name is Gerry Faust

Good find. How'd he do at ND?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

We got $650,000 for Nebraskra & will go back in 2025 for another mil+ game, it worked out plus the 2.5 mil for Northwestern & South Carolina we had a good financial year.  We only have 1 pay day next year with Illinois

Perhaps scheduling 2-4 money games every year would be an acceptable compromise? Seriously.

Maybe this helps attract recruits like it did with Frye? Players not recruited to play P5 but still with that chip on their shoulder could play roughly half a P5 schedule every year. Perhaps that could be a recruiting advantage relative to the rest of the MAC? And you know if we play more of those games, we win more of them as well. Had we played the Nebraska game and with how we were playing at the beginning of the year, we very well could have had two B1G wins this year.

10 minutes ago, dre22era said:

Well enough for Akron to later hire him

Mez4Fqy.png

And how'd he do there?

Edit: If you're going to find an example of someone who jumped straight from HS to D1 at least find someone who did it successfully. Faust is an example of why we shouldn't higher a HS straight from a HS.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

And how'd he do there?

Edit: If you're going to find an example of someone who jumped straight from HS to D1 at least find someone who did it successfully. Faust is an example of why we shouldn't higher a HS straight from a HS.

Spare me the BS 

Yall go from saying I couldn't find one to now find one with a winning record. 

FYI the guy you are trying to now write off is 3rd in all time wins at Akron with 43. 

Im done going back and forth with you homers who don't even know your own school's history 

3 minutes ago, dre22era said:

Spare me the BS 

FYI the guy you are trying to now write off is 3rd in all time wins at Akron with 43. 

Im done going back and forth with you homers who don't even know your own school's history 

No Dre, you are right...I apologize, I forgot about Faust.  You got me, but I do not think the Hoban coach would have been wise, IMO.  

1 minute ago, dre22era said:

Spare me the BS 

I'm sorry when was I going back and forth with you on the matter??? If you look back this is my 1st post on the matter. All I was stating is when you try to present a fact don't present something that hurts your stance. You named a coach that failed at not 1, but 2 programs. 

3 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I'm sorry when was I going back and forth with you on the matter??? If you look back this is my 1st post on the matter. All I was stating is when you try to present a fact don't present something that hurts your stance. You named a coach that failed at not 1, but 2 programs. 

I referenced a coach in relation to our program who was good enough for us to hire him you all should know.  An Ohio guy who not only got a HC job out the gate but for one of the most prestigious programs in all of sports = Notre Dame.  There are many more out there. 

And now you want to judge based on Wins and Loses when the coach we just hired had a 9–13 record at Chattanooga

eHqVE2v.png

Boy i wish this message board existed when we hired Keith Dambrot fresh from STVM even though he had previous experience but started out the gate at a DII Ohio school (Tiffin) 

Guess you would of been pissed then huh 

8 minutes ago, dre22era said:

I referenced a coach in relation to our program who was good enough for us to hire him you all should know.  An Ohio guy who not only got a HC job out the gate but for one of the most prestigious programs in all of sports = Notre Dame.  There are many more out there. 

And now you want to judge based on Wins and Loses when the coach we just hired had a 9–13 record at Chattanooga

eHqVE2v.png

Boy i wish this message board existed when we hired Keith Dambrot fresh from STVM even though he had previous experience but started out the gate at a DII Ohio school (Tiffin) 

Would of been better if you used this one

D4C92939-94E6-4500-8C7A-3E4375251340.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dre22era said:

eHqVE2v.png

I'm not particularly thrilled with the Arth hiring myself. I found it strange he was a candidate in the first place. I'm just giving the guy a chance now because he's our coach so therefore want to see him succeed. 

Dambrot was an Akron assistant for several years prior to becoming the head coach and had prior head coaching experience at both the D1 and D2 levels. Promoting an assistant coach to head coach is extremely common. 

13 minutes ago, dre22era said:

Bro. 1) KD had previous D1 collegiate experience before coming to Akron. 2) He was not hired as a HC directly from SVSM.