Welcome Tom Arth!

Let'sGoZips94

From what I was able to understand, GT asked Dr. Green how this hiring affects finances at the university. The response was that talent is expensive, but pays for itself in the long run. This hire is more costly than the last, but Arth's salary is still on the very low side for FBS football. He mentioned that this hiring does not change the outlook from the 3 year strategic plan that was just passed and athletics is still expected to lower their hit on the general budget by $8 million. 

The most interesting aspect of the answer to me was that we are in negotiations with Chattanooga to have Arth's buyout be (partially) payed through a guaranteed football game sometime in the future. Its not the first time I have heard of that strategy, but I have always thought it was smart so I am happy that UA is pursuing it.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

What was the answer? And question if you don't mind 

Basic question about the buyouts.

John Green explained that the Nebraska payout took care of Bowden and there is still negotiations with UTC including bringing them here for a game.  Something about $8mill being reallocate from athletics.  Basically, Arth I'd one of the lowest paid coaches in D1 and he needs to produce.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Any news on who will be on the coaching staff?

There was nothing of substance from Arth.  He stood up there, looked like a Sears catalog model, and gave the usual drivel about this and that.   No hard-hitting questions.  I also expect GT wanted something more scandalous than what John Green gave him regarding finances.  OT...future NE game is worth 1.45mill 

• Like 1

The only actual football answer that might hold some meaning is that Arth says that his offensive scheme is very dependent on QBs making reads at the line of scrimmage and calling audibles (which he mentioned is influenced by his time with Peyton Manning, the master of the audible). It will be interesting to see how the Zips can transition after what seemed like pretty rigid play calling under TB.

Very disappointed in the production 'quality' of the broadcast. Our soccer ESPN feeds are top-notch now so it shouldn't be too much to expect the same a coach introduction. Reflects very poorly on The University of Akron brand.

I happen to be a Larry Williams fan but did anyone else think he sounded at times like he was reading a children's book during quiet time? B)

No warm and fuzzy here regarding Arth. Sounded too much like he's thankful for another cup of coffee in northeastern Ohio and Akron just happened to be the coffee shop. Didn't get any sense of passion for our Blue and Gold - just another rung on the coaching ladder. WAY too early to tell, just my initial take. 

• Like 1

I see this as a potential Matt Campbell-type hire. Arth could be a head coach at a P5 school in 5 years, and that would be fine with me because that would mean a couple of 8,9,10 wins seasons at UA. How long has it been since a coach at Akron left the program for a better head coaching job? You'd have to go way back.

Bowden brought the program to respectability, which was no small accomplishment, but it seemed like he hit a wall. It was time.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UAZippers said:

The only actual football answer that might hold some meaning is that Arth says that his offensive scheme is very dependent on QBs making reads at the line of scrimmage and calling audibles (which he mentioned is influenced by his time with Peyton Manning, the master of the audible). It will be interesting to see how the Zips can transition after what seemed like pretty rigid play calling under TB.

Woody changed the play at the line, frequently. I think with Kato just discovering the wonder of studying film, it is unlikely you would want him calling plays at the line. He might be more ready for that next year. Kato's ability to read the D seemed to improve tremendously as he began to take it upon himself to study more film. 

Akron is notoriously bad at staging these events.  The John Groce welcome was a train wreck as well.  The best part was watching Antino smirking and circling around the student union while Groce introduced himself.  They then had a private meet and greet for the fans at EJ Thomas.  That wasn't that hot either.  

I don't understand football that well, but I do understand human nature.  Tom Arth has a hunger to succeed.  He's got a wife and five small kids (I think one is special needs), and he knows he can't screw this thing up, get fired, and be scrambling to find a head coaching job at Albion or Otterbein.  I'm sure this is overwhelming change all of a sudden mid-school year for his family.  John Groce had such an easy transition.  Illinois owed him millions.  He had a stable group of assistants who were going to follow him wherever.  And he only had to meet with 9 or 10 players as opposed to 80!  So if he wasn't all rah rah Akron U at the presser I get it.  Also, he was sitting there with an interim president who is a political guru who joked about Arth being the lowest paid in D1.

He is right out of central casting for football coach, and I can see how he wowed the interviewers.  He's going to need all that youth, energy and family support to make this thing work at Akron.  Right now he's refreshing and definitely something new for us.  I hope he succeeds and can really brand himself and our football program.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

From GoZips.com...

What They’re Saying About Tom Arth . . .

“I was fortunate to have Tom Arth as a teammate for a few seasons with the Colts as well as an instructor at our passing camp. With his football knowledge and work ethic, it was easy to see that Tom had the makings of a successful head coach. I congratulate Tom and wish him the best at the University of Akron.”
Peyton Manning
Retired Quarterback
Indianapolis Colts | Denver Broncos

“I had a chance to see Tom Arth on a daily basis when he was a quarterback with the Colts and have followed his coaching career thereafter. Tom has the unique ability to combine his knowledge of football with his understanding of how to build a winning culture. He possesses all the traits you look for in a leader. This is an exciting time for Akron football.”
Tom Telesco
General Manager
Los Angeles Chargers

“Congratulations to the University of Akron, the Akron Athletics Department, and Tom Arth on the recent hiring to lead their football program.  Tom is an outstanding person and leader with a track record of success both as a player and a coach. Tom has had a positive impact in all of his stops in developing a winning culture on all levels.  The Zips are in good hands with Tom Arth as their head football coach.”
Nick Caserio
Director of Player Personnel
New England Patriots

“I’ve watched Tom Arth grow from the good little quarterback out of St. Raphael’s at the youth camps in Cleveland that I would help at, to the successful quarterback at St. Ignatius, John Carroll and Colts, to the fantastic coach he is today. He was a smart kid who learned from the great coaches here in Cleveland. With that background and the facilities he has to work with at the University of Akron, I know he will elevate that football program to championship levels of success. We expect, and we will win, on and off the field.”

Bernie Kosar
Retired Quarterback
Cleveland Browns

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think this hire is anything to scoff at. Those quotes aren't from the St. Ignatius AD or the best man at his wedding (I'm assuming none of these guys were his best man, but for the sake of a cool story, I actually hope I'm wrong). You have an NFL GM, the Director of Player Personnel for arguably the most successful franchise in the history of the NFL, arguably the best QB of all time, and a beloved former Browns QB. I know quotes are simply quotes, but clearly Larry Williams dialed up all of his connections to find what he feels is the right guy. 

During the presser, Tom had some strong energy. As @NWAkron stated, I can see how he impressed those whom interviewed him. Football is going in the way of young, energetic, inspiring coaches. It really wouldn't surprise me if Larry Williams sat down with John Dorsey at some point to make a quick, yet solid list of qualities to target, because Dorsey is a firm believer in setting the tone in the locker room with the right culture. We'll see what product is put on the field, but you can tell Arth is hungry and will inspire the team he fields. He seems to fit the bill of the new football coaching trend. 

• Like 2