Welcome Tom Arth!

Let'sGoZips94

Looks like a bunch of Arth's assistant coaches at the Mocs are now not listed on the Mocs coaches page

I assume that means that

Tommy Zagorski OC

Matt Feeney DC

Jake Schaefer

Davern Williams DL

and others

will possibly be Zips assistants

also noticed the Mocs kept their CB coach and that Matt Feeney recently added

Deon Broomfield a CB coach at Indiana State to his twitter following list

Feeney also added almost all of the Zips 2019 recruits to his twitter

Edited by zzx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Woody changed the play at the line, frequently. I think with Kato just discovering the wonder of studying film, it is unlikely you would want him calling plays at the line. He might be more ready for that next year. Kato's ability to read the D seemed to improve tremendously as he began to take it upon himself to study more film. 

If Woody changed the play often, I must be misremembering. I remember frequently lining up and then checking back to the sideline for an audible from the coaching staff. 

This is not an insult by the way. Its just two different philosophies in my mind. 

GT's written a really good article here.

George Thomas: New coach Tom Arth will look north to help bolster recruiting

Got me pretty excited about the future of Zips football.

Also gave me a lot of respect for Kato.  Not only did he suffer a high ankle sprain, but he also had to have post-season surgery on a torn meniscus which he played on during the final four games of the season.  His quotes in this article display great maturity and a team-first attitude.  Much impressed.

Go Zips!

• Like 6

16 hours ago, dre22era said:

Bernie Kosar in attendance 

48370621-2221726644526584-46688960608468 48421515-2221724817860100-29792793255823 48384841-2221726541193261-77763081851528

So Kosar shows up in person to support this guy. And,apparently has a history with him from the earliest. Wonder if Williams has something in mind as far as having Bernie somehow associated with the program. Still a whole lot of people around here who remember what he and the Browns did in the '80's. Even if he would work with the QB's in the offseason or do some PR for the football program. That would certainly help raise the profile a bit.

• Like 1

Good info from TP here. Zagorski will be on the staff, whether it be OL and/or OC, but Arth expected to call plays regardless of position. Both of his recruiting classes were ranked top 10 in FCS.

https://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/2018/12/akron-football-new-coach-tom-arth-gives-zips-local-star-power-terry-pluto.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

GT's written a really good article here.

George Thomas: New coach Tom Arth will look north to help bolster recruiting

Got me pretty excited about the future of Zips football.

Also gave me a lot of respect for Kato.  Not only did he suffer a high ankle sprain, but he also had to have post-season surgery on a torn meniscus which he played on during the final four games of the season.  His quotes in this article display great maturity and a team-first attitude.  Much impressed.

Go Zips!

Good article. I liked hearing Williams say we need to recruit northeast Ohio. Too many local kids are going to competing MAC and other G5 schools. Lets find a way of keeping the best at home then go to Florida or wherever to supplement the talent.

• Like 1

Arth just had a nice interview with Reghi at halftime. Pretty impressive guy. Said his staff will hopefully be complete in a few days. Should include some UTC coaches as well as a number of Ohio coaches that can recruit the state of Ohio. Re: signing day, he said he wouldn't feel comfortable with his kid signing tomorrow with a coach he's never met, so he's not putting pressure on kids and hopefully giving them a chance to get to know him and sign in February. Good stuff imo

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zippy5 said:

The more I learn about Arth, the more I like him. I wish I knew more about the drop off at UTC but he obviously explained that away well enough in his interviews

Just pulled Lance Leipold's bio. Buffalo actually lost one more game in his first year compared to the year before he took over. He actually even regressed, only winning 2 games in his second season. Didn't even have a winning season until this year (his fourth year). I think its fair to assume there is quite a gap making that jump that these coaches likely have to adjust to. I would imagine that is a large part of UT-C's immediate regression, along with other factors I'm sure (which have been brought up).

Let's hope Arth cut his teeth at UT-C and can hit the ground running here. I like the fact that he 1) is a local guy who seems to want to be in the area and 2) isn't always looking for the next job, even though recent history might suggest otherwise. Keeping him here at least an extra year or two if he's kicking ass would be nice and would likely do wonders in making our program more than a flash in the pan in the MAC.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

Cleveland.com had an article today entitled "Early National Signing Day 2019: Where area football standouts are headed."    Bowling Green. PCCC, Marshall, Toledo, Eastern Kentucky, Ohio, Miami...      Arth needs to cut into that mass.  No kid in NEO should think of schools like that without having had UA pounding on his door for a couple of years. 

11 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Cleveland.com had an article today entitled "Early National Signing Day 2019: Where area football standouts are headed."    Bowling Green. PCCC, Marshall, Toledo, Eastern Kentucky, Ohio, Miami...      Arth needs to cut into that mass.  No kid in NEO should think of schools like that without having had UA pounding on his door for a couple of years. 

A lot of kids want to go away to college. Can't fault them for that. Who says they weren't approached by Bowden and co.?

43 minutes ago, jupitertoo said:

A lot of kids want to go away to college. Can't fault them for that. Who says they weren't approached by Bowden and co.?

No question that some kids want to go away and that's okay.  I've acknowledged that numerous times in here.  The point I am making is that UA should be in the running for kids that go to similar schools.  I have no idea what Bowden and his crew did.  I do, however,  know of one kid in particular that wasn't offered from a very close area high school that is doing very well at a superior MAC football school and that he would have strongly considered Akron if offered.

Any idea what our recruiting budget looked like under Bowden, compared to other schools that recruit locally? I can't imagine it's fiscally responsible for a University with heavy debt to be hitting Florida before every rock/stone/pebble in their hot-bed-of-talent-backyard has been turned over. 

I'm glad LW and Arth are on the same page with recruiting this area. 

Hopefully people won't get too bent out of shape if next season,especially the non-conference portion is rocky. Its going to take playing some 'real' games not just scrimmages to see how players are actually going to respond to the new staff and the new 'system'. We should all know that from experience.

Any information on length of contract? He gets 5 years unless there is another Ianello debacle.It does appear that if he can bring some of his own key recruits that there is at least enough serviceable talent left on the roster that an entire rebuild won't be necessary.  I am waiting to see what he can do with the offense in general and Nelson and Ramart specifically. Wonder if he prefers a scrambler or more of a pocket guy. He will certainly have to improve the anemic run game by working on the O-line.

Also,still want to know if Williams is going to try to get Kosar involved in the program somehow to try to raise awareness.

9 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

Hopefully people won't get too bent out of shape if next season,especially the non-conference portion is rocky. Its going to take playing some 'real' games not just scrimmages to see how players are actually going to respond to the new staff and the new 'system'. We should all know that from experience.

Any information on length of contract? He gets 5 years unless there is another Ianello debacle.It does appear that if he can bring some of his own key recruits that there is at least enough serviceable talent left on the roster that an entire rebuild won't be necessary.  I am waiting to see what he can do with the offense in general and Nelson and Ramart specifically. Wonder if he prefers a scrambler or more of a pocket guy. He will certainly have to improve the anemic run game by working on the O-line.

Also,still want to know if Williams is going to try to get Kosar involved in the program somehow to try to raise awareness.

I'm sure some of the ones who didn't want to see Bowden go in the 1st place will be quick to judge, but from the most part I expect people to be understanding. They have been so far with Groce

It was 2-3 years ago that Bernie went to a Zips game. People were wondering back then if he was going to become involved in the program in some capacity. This is the 1st time I recall him making an appearance at a Zips function since then. I guess time will tell.