Welcome Tom Arth!

Let'sGoZips94

16 hours ago, NWAkron said:

If you ask someone in the athletic dept they would tell you what a bad partner Acme was.   The Albrechts wanted the publicity AND the $.   

Thats the way it works. You get something you give something. That Bowl was never close to being full for any games other than Acme Zip. Thats when the team was actually consistently good and going to the DII playoffs. If the University didn't take advantage of having all those people in the seats that was its problem. Sell concessions,souvenirs etc. Acme wasn't getting all the money from ticket sales. Just gotta say it was amazing to see close to 40,000 butts in the seats at that old place.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CDMac said:

If this is correct, Arth is basically bringing his entire staff with him from UTC. For a lot of them this is their first time in FBS. They should be hungry to prove themselves, but I was hoping to get at least one coordinator with some big time experience at this level. 

Brian Cochran coached at Kent last season. 

Edited by UAZippers
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Exciting to get this information flowing in.  Still, I was hoping we'd retain coach Mounds.

There are 7 coaches listed in tweet.  Leaves 3 more spots open.  I don’t see a OC, WR

I would think Davern Williams is D-Line & there should be a LB coach,  just an observation guess

22 hours ago, CDMac said:

Little background on these guys while I'm anxiously awaiting the Browns game to start:

Matt Feeney: Dublin, OH native. Very young...earned his bachelor's in 2014. Team captain at JCU then joined Arth's staff. Led UTC to the #1 ranked defense in the Southern Conference in 2018, his first year as DC, as the prior DC left to join Kent State...

Oscar Rodriguez: Kansas native. A lot of JUCO and D3 experience. ESPN article featuring him and the experience of JUCO recruiting here.

Davern Williams: Popular in my eyes from Netflix's popular CFB documentary, Last Chance U. From the south. Played DT a few years in the NFL. Seems to be a real good recruiter and a coach that can connect well with his unit.

Scott Aligo: Linked with Arth back to JCU. Also has 6 years of player personnel experience in the NFL.

Brian Cochran: Another JCU guy. Coached with Arth his first year at UT-C. Apparently left for a promotion to Kent St in 2018. As far as I can tell, he'd rather be at Akron than KSU (who can blame him).

Chris Hurd: Texas native. Played defense in college. Has prior FBS experience. His bio on UT-C site definitely leans on the special teams side.

Chris Cook:  UTC alum. Had a TE named to the All So-Con team in 2017.

Tom Zagorski: Arth's OC at JCU in 2014. Then left for a offensive quality control position at Tennessee. Took another job to EKU the year after as assistant head coach/TE coach. Served as OC the final 4 games of 2018 where he led them to a 4-0 record. Is from Cleveland and definitely has some connections.

As 94zipgrad pointed out, there are still a few open positions. Hoping Mounds can still make the cut as there is a real lack of FL connections in this staff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

I'd assume he isn't handling ILB too or he just would have had the LB Coach title. Unless that initial post is inaccurate

That was my initial thought too, but like your follow up post stated it would seem odd to have 1 coach for ILB and another for OLB. I've never heard of such a thing. Maybe its more common than I realize.

On 12/24/2018 at 11:52 AM, zippy5 said:

Pro teams do.. but I feel like it's very rare, if it happens at all, to do it in college with the limit on assistants. Guess we'll see

I have done no research, but I'll guess teams that play the 3-4 might be the teams employing inside and outside linebacker coaches. How many of these teams are there now-a-days?