Welcome Tom Arth!

Let'sGoZips94

I chuckled at this.

"...And thirdly, they thought he would come in with a name with a little sizzle and give the program a little attention."

Oddly enough, there has been more media attention surrounding Arth than I anticipated. Not sure if that's a concerted effort to market Arth and Akron football, or if Arth's connections are better than we thought (i.e. his relationship with guys like Kosar). 

5 hours ago, ZachTheZip said:

The fact that Terry Pluto is excited about Arth is perhaps the most concerning thing to come out of this whole coaching change.

I agree with Zach on this one.  Pluto has become unreadable to me, all he ever tries to do is push his new books.  And tell us at all times that he was against picking up this Brown, or this Cav, or this Indian, when they fail to produce.  Used to look forward to his articles, now never even click them.  Has become Bill Livingston and that's not in a good way....stop shilling for your books!

31 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

I agree with Zach on this one.  Pluto has become unreadable to me, all he ever tries to do is push his new books.  And tell us at all times that he was against picking up this Brown, or this Cav, or this Indian, when they fail to produce.  Used to look forward to his articles, now never even click them.  Has become Bill Livingston and that's not in a good way....stop shilling for your books!

I think pundits and columnists strive for relevance as the public gains more access to information.  We don't need their insights.  Pluto is very religious and that permeates his writings and opinions.  He seems more impressed that Arth has five kids and went to and coached at local "good" Catholic schools then he is with his other talents.  

Edited by NWAkron
  • Thanks 1

I feel in general a lot of the good media exposure Arth has received is do to the fact that he's a likable character who from his time at Saint Ignatius and John Carroll has an established relationship with many of these columnists and pundits. I kind of expected the hire to cause more scrutiny, but it really hasn't. We've talked on this board for years about wanting to get the community invested into the Zips program. Arth has come in and appears to have the support of the local media and has emphasized the need to recruit Ohio. If he's not successful in bringing Joe Akron out to games, I'm not sure we'll ever see it happen.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

I feel in general a lot of the good media exposure Arth has received is do to the fact that he's a likable character who from his time at Saint Ignatius and John Carroll has an established relationship with many of these columnists and pundits. I kind of expected the hire to cause more scrutiny, but it really hasn't. We've talked on this board for years about wanting to get the community invested into the Zips program. Arth has come in and appears to have the support of the local media and has emphasized the need to recruit Ohio. If he's not successful in bringing Joe Akron out to games, I'm not sure we'll ever see it happen.

Winning brings Joe Akron out, if anything. They don't care who the heck the coach is when we're winning 4 or 5 games a year

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LZIp said:

Would be nice if the staff was officially announced sometime this year.

Unfortunately with our athletic department, I'm not sure if we'll ever hear much with Arth not having twitter. Though I'm sure there'll be a press release when everyone is finalized. But it'd be nice to hear the ones that signed as they happen.

12 hours ago, ZachTheZip said:

The fact that Terry Pluto is excited about Arth is perhaps the most concerning thing to come out of this whole coaching change.

Never been a Pluto fan even when he was with the Leakin' Urinal. Wonder if he will ever get to the Baseball HOF like his 'buddy' at the ABJ, Sheldon Ocker? It seems Pluto writes the same articles week after week, year after year but just changes some of the names. If you listen to him on WKSU he sounds as if he is preaching to the 'unwashed'.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Unfortunately with our athletic department, I'm not sure if we'll ever hear much with Arth not having twitter. Though I'm sure there'll be a press release when everyone is finalized. But it'd be nice to hear the ones that signed as they happen.

Good for him. He won't get caught up in all the Twitter BS. Too many instances where coaches/players think they are 'invisible' on Twitter and it bites them in the ass. The guy in the White House is a perfect example. There is NO requirement that anybody be on social media!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Lee Adams said:

Good for him. He won't get caught up in all the Twitter BS. Too many instances where coaches/players think they are 'invisible' on Twitter and it bites them in the ass. The guy in the White House is a perfect example. There is NO requirement that anybody be on social media!

Or you could just behave yourself and use it as a recruiting tool and a way to engage your fanbase.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Or you could just behave yourself and use it as a recruiting tool and a way to engage your fanbase.

Yep.Understand your point.I might behave myself. But its not always the person who is behaving himself/herself that causes the problem. Its those folks who don't 'behave' themselves on Twitter that can cause problems. Thousands of people can see your 'tweets' and you don't know who they are. They start posting stuff and it goes on and on. I would have to assume that at least some of his assistants are on Twitter if they want to use that as a recruiting tool. And, they do a lot of the initial recruiting. Phones are still in use. Personal visits though obviously  limited are effective.

As far as the fan base getting engaged,did Bowden have a Twitter account? I don't know. Want to get a fan base 'engaged'? Win football games!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee Adams said:

Yep.Understand your point.I might behave myself. But its not always the person who is behaving himself/herself that causes the problem. Its those folks who don't 'behave' themselves on Twitter that can cause problems. Thousands of people can see your 'tweets' and you don't know who they are. They start posting stuff and it goes on and on. I would have to assume that at least some of his assistants are on Twitter if they want to use that as a recruiting tool. And, they do a lot of the initial recruiting. Phones are still in use. Personal visits though obviously  limited are effective.

As far as the fan base getting engaged,did Bowden have a Twitter account? I don't know. Want to get a fan base 'engaged'? Win football games!

Managing a Twitter feed would be an unwanted distraction for a coach at his level.  Let his assistants do that.  Maintaining the brand and image is difficult when your internet presence goes up.   To me not having twitter shows discipline and confidence

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the Pluto article -

"They're negotiating now about maybe going down to Tennessee Chattanooga to play a game," Pluto said. "They would love to have a Division I team like Akron come to play. It's not done yet, but they're looking at hoping to not have to pay that bill."  

I recall several years ago that the MAC had a rule the it's programs were not allowed to play away games against FCS programs? Wonder if it is no longer enforced?

8 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

From the Pluto article -

I recall several years ago that the MAC had a rule the it's programs were not allowed to play away games against FCS programs? Wonder if it is no longer enforced?

This just doesn't make much sense to me. If we're going to sacrifice a home game why wouldn't we instead just take $1.3 mil to play at (insert P5 school) then give Chattanooga their 300k while pocketing the mil for ourselves?

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 11:51 AM, NWAkron said:

Managing a Twitter feed would be an unwanted distraction for a coach at his level.  Let his assistants do that.  Maintaining the brand and image is difficult when your internet presence goes up.   To me not having twitter shows discipline and confidence

It doesn't seem to be a problem for Pres. Trump :lol:

I haven't done any research to know if this is true or not, but from people I know who have been recruited it seems to be the assistants are the ones who are more active on Twitter, doing the groundwork to connect with recruits. Head coaches might have a Twitter but not sure how active the majority are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I haven't done any research to know if this is true or not, but from people I know who have been recruited it seems to be the assistants are the ones who are more active on Twitter, doing the groundwork to connect with recruits. Head coaches might have a Twitter but not sure how active the majority are.

Typically, assistants are assigned to recruit a certain geographic are, although they are also involved with the recruits for their position. The head coach is usually reserved for the more desirable players.