Welcome Tom Arth!

Let'sGoZips94

1 hour ago, zvillezip said:

I talked with a well respected Ohio high school football coach this morning. He said we should be excited about Arth.  Called him the real deal.  He thinks Arth will make inroads with Ohio recruiting.  

Does this coach think he will win the MAC?

38 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

It looks like we had a 2 for 1 deal with Kentucky (away in 2021 & 2024 and then home in 2023). I don't see those games in the press release. Maybe Kentucky and Akron came to an agreement to eliminate those games.

image.png

Didn't see the future schedules bit at the bottom. That's a little better, but at OSU and Auburn is tough enough still

1 hour ago, Cykron said:

Upgraded from Nebraska, Iowa State, and Northwestern to Clemson, Auburn, and Ohio State.  Impressive.  

It's a downgrade IMO. Outside of OSU, who I wouldn't mind playing every year, I think the Clemson and Auburn games are downgrades. We can stay competitive and perhaps upset a Nebraska, Iowa State, Northwestern (like we did this year). We're going to get massacred by a Dabo Swinney led Clemson.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

Didn't see the future schedules bit at the bottom. That's a little better, but at OSU and Auburn is tough enough still

With how bad the athletic department is hurting for money, I wouldn't be surprised to see us get bought 2x per year. It's a quick way for the athletic department to boost revenue by ~$1.5 mil/year.

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

It's a downgrade IMO. Outside of OSU, who I wouldn't mind playing every year, I think the Clemson and Auburn games are downgrades. We can stay competitive and perhaps upset a Nebraska, Iowa State, Northwestern (like we did this year). We're going to get massacred by a Dabo Swinney led Clemson.

+1. This past year’s OOC schedule was perfect.

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Iowa State has a game with Louisiana-Monroe next year that I would gladly trade for you guys to come again.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, LZIp said:

FYI - looks like we poached another coach from KSU - Jonathan Cooley.

Kent · Jon Cooley took over as secondary coach for Kent State in January of 2018. Cooley is one of three Kent State defensive coaches who spent the 2017 season at Chattanooga. ... Cooley’s first coaching job came as a defensive backs coach and assistant special teams coordinator at Millikin ...

looks like we took 2 of the old Chattanooga gang back from Kent

On 2/16/2019 at 9:29 AM, LZIp said:

Our WR Coach - Kevin Koger, took a quality control position with the Packers.

Looks like we have found the replacement based on what I'm putting together on twitter. Former Toledo assistant and Iowa St WR coach Bryan Gasser. Looks like his contract wasn't renewed this offseason. ISU has had some pretty good WRs the past 2 years with Lazard and Hakeem Butler. Any input @Cykron ?

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/gridiron/campbell-announces-manning-hire-other-changes-gasser-gordon-scheelhaase-caponi/article_153ba628-1b5d-11e9-b304-f3ec048d8b46.html

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LZIp said:

Looks like we have found the replacement based on what I'm putting together on twitter. Former Toledo assistant and Iowa St WR coach Bryan Gasser. Looks like his contract wasn't renewed this offseason. ISU has had some pretty good WRs the past 2 years with Lazard and Hakeem Butler. Any input @Cykron ?

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/gridiron/campbell-announces-manning-hire-other-changes-gasser-gordon-scheelhaase-caponi/article_153ba628-1b5d-11e9-b304-f3ec048d8b46.html

Good for Gasser.  I've always liked him and been wondering what happened and where he would land. 

Nothing has been said publicly about the reason for his contract not being renewed.  It seemed odd that he left without another position which tells me that it wasn't planned.  I always liked him as a coach.  Seemed like a hard-worker.   I saw him in action a few times at camps and he really did a nice job making it worthwhile for all the kids to be there. 

Campbell talks about how much he wants the coaches to be in sync, so I have to think there was an issue there.  Gasser was known for his analysis.  The only possible negative that I ever heard was one statement that indicated he was hard to please ("if Gasser thinks its good, you know its good because he doesn't like anything.")  Personally, I didn't take that as a negative , but just an expression of how analytical the staff is (which I love).   So maybe he was too hard on guys and/or not enough of a rah rah guy when needed. 

I think his roots go deep in Ohio.  When we hosted the Iowa State tailgate in the Akron parking lot, his wife and a few dozen family showed up, so maybe he just wanted to get back to his roots.  Is he related to Nick Gasser?  

Iowa State has had some Interesting coaching moves recently:

Jim Hofher, former QB coach, moved to an analytic position last year, and is coaching one of the AAF teams (which was announced while he was still on the staff).

Tom Manning, former OC, went to the Colts to be an O-line coach, did really well, but came back a few weeks ago to be our OC, a position that Campbell didn't fill in his absence.  Perhaps that had something to do with Gasser's departure.  Both Campbell and Manning say that Manning's return was not something planned, but it just happened fairly quickly.  

Joe Houston, former Special Teams coach, seemed to be a package deal with a transfer punter, but moved to a quality assurance position, and now is on staff with Alabama.  

• Thanks 1