Welcome Tom Arth!

Let'sGoZips94

Odd year here in Ames.  Basketball team is pretty good and very interesting, but I'm still more focused on football. Weird.  Any Zips suffering from the same malady?  

11 hours ago, Cykron said:

Odd year here in Ames.  Basketball team is pretty good and very interesting, but I'm still more focused on football. Weird.  Any Zips suffering from the same malady?  

Negative ghostrider. Our basketball team is not very good or interesting this year. I do concur that I am still more focused on football though.

On 3/2/2019 at 8:48 PM, Cykron said:

I'm the complete opposite. I'm always looking forward to basketball season even during football season, which is odd because I'm a much bigger football fan than basketball fan. I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with the fact that even when Akron has a "bad" year in basketball, like they are this year, they're still competitive. When the football team is bad, which is quite often, the games are literally unwatchable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

Excuse my ignorance, but is it common in the college game for the offense/defensive coordinator to double as a position coach?

Not the best example, but Milwee did it off the top of my head. For some reason I feel Amato did it too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Excuse my ignorance, but is it common in the college game for the offense/defensive coordinator to double as a position coach?

Not uncommon.  

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Considering the school's finances and new leadership who have to be gun-shy when it comes to the football team, I think we are with Arth for this year and next.    The new AD and president can and should put the blame for Arth with Williams and the cracker jack search committee.  The risk of firing Arth, paying him out, and then finding a new coach who "can turn things around" quickly, is too great considering the finances and the history of the program.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

Ya'll, last week's loss is disappointing and I'm sure there will still be plenty of disappoint throughout the season...but lest not forget the lack of experience on the team as well as the predictions before the season began. There wasn't going to be some miraculous jump this year barring a miracle. The results thus far aren't that surprising.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Guthrie told me that anything less than 6 wins per season is not acceptable. I assumed he meant that included this season. Miller and Guthrie are on the clock now. They expect results and so do I.

I've heard this as well. I have heard that he expects them to be bowl eligible, this year. As a fan, before the season I came up with the pathway to bowl eligibility, with an emphasis on the Temple game, assuming Bryant is a win, that would make Akron 2-2 heading into the conference season. While Akron did get a very difficult MAC west draw, they still open MAC play with Ohio and BG, who appear to be in the MAC East basement with Akron. If all goes well there, you're 4-2. And I'd be lying if I said that picture wasn't playing in my head after it was 14-0 this week. 4-2 with 6 to play, I think every Zips fan would take that. And it doesn't always mean bowl eligibility (as we're too familiar with), but now it seems we may be lucky to be 2-4 with 6 to play. 

After the first two MAC games, it's hard to see another game where this team can truly have a chance to win. Maybe they compete in more games this year than the previous two. But Akron is fortunate to play in what is possibly the weakest division in the FBS, and it has been for a long time now. I don't even want to think about what might happen on November 20. This division is terrible, and even in Akron's state, they should at the very least still be in the running for a division title by the time mid/late October comes around. But I fear Temple was a preview of what we'll see in winnable games. Perhaps not to that catastrophic extreme, but as Arth said in his presser, it seemed like everyone knew what was happening during that sequence.

What has plagued Akron football since 2014 is coach stubbornness. I am looking to Guthrie to address this situation carefully as the season goes on and we get into the offseason. Perhaps it's too early to have this discussion, but I find it interesting. You don't necessarily want a meddling AD that doesn't respect his/her coaches, but I think we can all agree that an AD can become a valuable mediator in a situation where he can step into Arth's office at the end of the season and tell him that it's not good enough and he needs to make serious changes, even if it means hurting a buddy's feelings. It would be even better if Arth could do what the previous staff refused to do in cutting off dead weight, that would at least prove to me that he cares about this job and cares about Akron. If this trend continues and Matt Feeney is leading this defense going into 2022, that is a massive failure.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Considering the school's finances and new leadership who have to be gun-shy when it comes to the football team, I think we are with Arth for this year and next.    The new AD and president can and should put the blame for Arth with Williams and the cracker jack search committee.  The risk of firing Arth, paying him out, and then finding a new coach who "can turn things around" quickly, is too great considering the finances and the history of the program.

Maybe.The U of A has a $235.3 million endowment for the excellence of the university. The endowment can be used to hire staff.The U of A is loosing weekly money on its football staff.There are lawyers and loopholes you know? 

4 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Guthrie told me that anything less than 6 wins per season is not acceptable. I assumed he meant that included this season. Miller and Guthrie are on the clock now. They expect results and so do I.

Hell, I would be happy if they were competitive in 6 games.  I hope and pray for 6 wins but can't expect it based on what we've seen.

The Zips are now 125/130 teams in the USAToday poll, having fallen 4 spots.  Temple's outstanding performance moved them to 110.  The MAC has 4 schools in the bottom 15- Miami, OU, BG and the Zips. Yikes.

Arth isn't going anywhere.  With the school's finances they're not going to put themselves in a position again to be paying two head coaches.  Also, if you can him mid-season you pretty much have to appoint someone from within as the interim and who on this staff has the experience to do that job?

Edited by clarkwgriswold

4 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Ouch.  The copied text is taken from the write up on #25 Ball State:

Ball State is the first of six MAC teams in the rankings this week, which I love to see. I've always thought of the MAC as the official conference of The Bottom 25. The league routinely schedules "up" for its non-conference early in the season, which leads to plenty of losses.

Former MAC schools UMass and UConn are on list and Temple was on the list last week and will soon return.  WMU and Can't were on the list last week as well and my guess is WMU gets back on.  Anyone feel like starting a Rifle or ESports thread or anything we might be competitive at?