Welcome Tom Arth!

Let'sGoZips94

13 hours ago, Dr Z said:

WKYC's Jim Donovan reported (Wednesday evening) that Tom Lombardo (St Eds) was considering an offer to be coach Arth’s OC. Jim repeated Akron's new mantra about the commitment to recruit neo. 

I really, really like the idea of adding a prominent NEO high school HC to the staff, especially for recruiting purposes. When a sports team or program makes a personnel move, whether it be coaching or player, it's always good to take a step back and look at the big picture - what is the plan here? i.e. The Indians bringing back Carlos Santana has to do some with contract/age, but a lot to do with patience at the plate and rebuilding a patient lineup. Williams identified a problem - lack of NEO recruiting - and is putting together a plan to solve it. I guarantee Arth has had dreams since his days at JCU of recruiting NEO at the DI level, especially with Akron's facilities. This area is ripe with talent, and it's a bout damn time we started targeting it. Heck, even the soccer program has recruited NEO more than the football program - and the soccer program is a destination/desirable landing spot for worldwide. 

• Like 1

Like others I'm curious to see what coach Arth does with his staff and recruiting. I was, and still am, hoping Arth will reach out to Tim Tyrell at Hoban to join his staff. Tyrell is a brilliant play caller. You can never predict what he will do. He has the ability to use what his talent will give him and not force on the players a system that they are incapable of executing. With four state championships Tyrell has great credibility. I also hope coach Arth keeps Nemec. His knowledge of the program and the area can help make the transition to a new staff smoother. All this being said I understand that coach Arth may want as many ties to Cleveland as he can get in his new staff so the recruiting is enhanced by coaches who intimately know the area. 

I hope Arth brings someone in at OC that can call a good game. Xs and Os are Xs and Os no matter what level you're at, if you're from NEO or not. Outside the box thinking can help sometimes. I've posted this before, but it's a great story.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21862192/oklahoma-state-cowboys-mike-gundy-offensive-coordinator-internet

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Like others I'm curious to see what coach Arth does with his staff and recruiting. I was, and still am, hoping Arth will reach out to Tim Tyrell at Hoban to join his staff. Tyrell is a brilliant play caller. You can never predict what he will do. He has the ability to use what his talent will give him and not force on the players a system that they are incapable of executing. With four state championships Tyrell has great credibility. I also hope coach Arth keeps Nemec. His knowledge of the program and the area can help make the transition to a new staff smoother. All this being said I understand that coach Arth may want as many ties to Cleveland as he can get in his new staff so the recruiting is enhanced by coaches who intimately know the area. 

I think Tyrell could be an asset to the Zips, but I wouldn't characterize him as a brilliant play caller.  He's done an excellent job of building a program, getting exceptional talent to come to Hoban and getting the kids to always play hard, and those qualities would benefit any program.  However, as a play caller, I've seen him as solid but unspectacular.  He sticks with what works and that's a real positive, but they generally so overwhelm other teams with their talent that he hasn't had to be creative.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Tyrell might see the move from Hoban to a MAC school as beneath him.  Can't say I disagree. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I think Tyrell could be an asset to the Zips, but I wouldn't characterize him as a brilliant play caller.  He's done an excellent job of building a program, getting exceptional talent to come to Hoban and getting the kids to always play hard, and those qualities would benefit any program.  However, as a play caller, I've seen him as solid but unspectacular.  He sticks with what works and that's a real positive, but they generally so overwhelm other teams with their talent that he hasn't had to be creative.

Will respectfully disagree. I have been to too many Hoban games to see that he is anything but exceptional in his play calling. But I will admit that if you use Milwee as a baseline for performance Tyrell is way off the charts. Thank God there is a new play caller on the way whoever he is. Our suffering is about to end. :thumb:Anything is better than what we have experienced.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Will respectfully disagree. I have been to too many Hoban games to see that he is anything but exceptional in his play calling. But I will admit that if you use Milwee as a baseline for performance Tyrell is way off the charts. Thank God there is a new play caller on the way whoever he is. Our suffering is about to end. :thumb:Anything is better than what we have experienced.

"Respectfully disagree"???????  We'll have none of that on this forum.  I demand that you call me names, question my intelligence and use mean emoticons!

• Haha 4

On 12/23/2018 at 11:40 AM, LZIp said:

If I passed him on campus or in town my first impression is that he is a basketball coach.

You know what they say about first impressions. LOL

On 1/3/2019 at 10:12 AM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I really, really like the idea of adding a prominent NEO high school HC to the staff, especially for recruiting purposes. When a sports team or program makes a personnel move, whether it be coaching or player, it's always good to take a step back and look at the big picture - what is the plan here? i.e. The Indians bringing back Carlos Santana has to do some with contract/age, but a lot to do with patience at the plate and rebuilding a patient lineup. Williams identified a problem - lack of NEO recruiting - and is putting together a plan to solve it. I guarantee Arth has had dreams since his days at JCU of recruiting NEO at the DI level, especially with Akron's facilities. This area is ripe with talent, and it's a bout damn time we started targeting it. Heck, even the soccer program has recruited NEO more than the football program - and the soccer program is a destination/desirable landing spot for worldwide. 

Not that either Lomardo or Tyrell might not do an excellent job at the D-I. Who knows. Would still like to see assistants who have at least some experience in D-I, D-II or D-III. Mat not get D-I assistants at this level. But, would be beneficial if they have college experience and recruiting experience. Still want to see him recruit more in Western PA. It appears Arth has plenty of cache in this part of Ohio.One of the keys is to get the HS coaches to be willing to 'talk up' considering Akron when choosing a school. If you can get a couple of kids from the Mentors,St. Ed's,St. Iggies,Hobans etc. to commit to Akron,if the program improves others will follow.

• Like 2

Also, even if you don't think you have a chance at a kid because he's headed off to a more prestigious school, at least establish a relationship with him.  College programs very much benefit from kids who "come home" &/or transfer after an original destination doesn't work out (e.g. Jonah Morris).  UA has done this to some extent in the past, but more would be nice.

On 12/24/2018 at 12:51 PM, kreed5120 said:

That was my initial thought too, but like your follow up post stated it would seem odd to have 1 coach for ILB and another for OLB. I've never heard of such a thing. Maybe its more common than I realize.

Shelton Felton is the ILB coach

Davern Williams is the OLB and DE coach

As previously mentioned in the thread,

Brian Cochran is the DL coach,

Oscar Rodriguez Jr. is the secondary coach,

and Matt Feeney is the DC

Edited by zzx
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Wonder what happened to that guy who with the longish hair who would run up and down the sidelines trying to rally the team.   Few days before they fired Bowden I saw that guy at the mall and thought he must know he's out of a job soon 

Buffalo strength & conditioning coach.