Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Let'sGoZips94

Welcome Tom Arth!

Recommended Posts

WKYC's Jim Donovan reported (Wednesday evening) that Tom Lombardo (St Eds) was considering an offer to be coach Arth’s OC. Jim repeated Akron's new mantra about the commitment to recruit neo. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Dr Z said:

WKYC's Jim Donovan reported (Wednesday evening) that Tom Lombardo (St Eds) was considering an offer to be coach Arth’s OC. Jim repeated Akron's new mantra about the commitment to recruit neo. 

 

I really, really like the idea of adding a prominent NEO high school HC to the staff, especially for recruiting purposes. When a sports team or program makes a personnel move, whether it be coaching or player, it's always good to take a step back and look at the big picture - what is the plan here? i.e. The Indians bringing back Carlos Santana has to do some with contract/age, but a lot to do with patience at the plate and rebuilding a patient lineup. Williams identified a problem - lack of NEO recruiting - and is putting together a plan to solve it. I guarantee Arth has had dreams since his days at JCU of recruiting NEO at the DI level, especially with Akron's facilities. This area is ripe with talent, and it's a bout damn time we started targeting it. Heck, even the soccer program has recruited NEO more than the football program - and the soccer program is a destination/desirable landing spot for worldwide. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so thirsty for some news. Recruiting, coaching staff, anything....................

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like others I'm curious to see what coach Arth does with his staff and recruiting. I was, and still am, hoping Arth will reach out to Tim Tyrell at Hoban to join his staff. Tyrell is a brilliant play caller. You can never predict what he will do. He has the ability to use what his talent will give him and not force on the players a system that they are incapable of executing. With four state championships Tyrell has great credibility. I also hope coach Arth keeps Nemec. His knowledge of the program and the area can help make the transition to a new staff smoother. All this being said I understand that coach Arth may want as many ties to Cleveland as he can get in his new staff so the recruiting is enhanced by coaches who intimately know the area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Arth brings someone in at OC that can call a good game. Xs and Os are Xs and Os no matter what level you're at, if you're from NEO or not. Outside the box thinking can help sometimes. I've posted this before, but it's a great story.

 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21862192/oklahoma-state-cowboys-mike-gundy-offensive-coordinator-internet

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Like others I'm curious to see what coach Arth does with his staff and recruiting. I was, and still am, hoping Arth will reach out to Tim Tyrell at Hoban to join his staff. Tyrell is a brilliant play caller. You can never predict what he will do. He has the ability to use what his talent will give him and not force on the players a system that they are incapable of executing. With four state championships Tyrell has great credibility. I also hope coach Arth keeps Nemec. His knowledge of the program and the area can help make the transition to a new staff smoother. All this being said I understand that coach Arth may want as many ties to Cleveland as he can get in his new staff so the recruiting is enhanced by coaches who intimately know the area. 

 

I think Tyrell could be an asset to the Zips, but I wouldn't characterize him as a brilliant play caller.  He's done an excellent job of building a program, getting exceptional talent to come to Hoban and getting the kids to always play hard, and those qualities would benefit any program.  However, as a play caller, I've seen him as solid but unspectacular.  He sticks with what works and that's a real positive, but they generally so overwhelm other teams with their talent that he hasn't had to be creative.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Like others I'm curious to see what coach Arth does with his staff and recruiting. I was, and still am, hoping Arth will reach out to Tim Tyrell at Hoban to join his staff. Tyrell is a brilliant play caller. You can never predict what he will do. He has the ability to use what his talent will give him and not force on the players a system that they are incapable of executing. With four state championships Tyrell has great credibility. I also hope coach Arth keeps Nemec. His knowledge of the program and the area can help make the transition to a new staff smoother. All this being said I understand that coach Arth may want as many ties to Cleveland as he can get in his new staff so the recruiting is enhanced by coaches who intimately know the area. 

 

Tyrell might see the move from Hoban to a MAC school as beneath him.  Can't say I disagree. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jupitertoo said:

Tyrell might see the move from Hoban to a MAC school as beneath him.  Can't say I disagree. 

 

Hoban has more/richer boosters.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

 

I think Tyrell could be an asset to the Zips, but I wouldn't characterize him as a brilliant play caller.  He's done an excellent job of building a program, getting exceptional talent to come to Hoban and getting the kids to always play hard, and those qualities would benefit any program.  However, as a play caller, I've seen him as solid but unspectacular.  He sticks with what works and that's a real positive, but they generally so overwhelm other teams with their talent that he hasn't had to be creative.

Will respectfully disagree. I have been to too many Hoban games to see that he is anything but exceptional in his play calling. But I will admit that if you use Milwee as a baseline for performance Tyrell is way off the charts. Thank God there is a new play caller on the way whoever he is. Our suffering is about to end. :thumb:Anything is better than what we have experienced.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Will respectfully disagree. I have been to too many Hoban games to see that he is anything but exceptional in his play calling. But I will admit that if you use Milwee as a baseline for performance Tyrell is way off the charts. Thank God there is a new play caller on the way whoever he is. Our suffering is about to end. :thumb:Anything is better than what we have experienced.

 

"Respectfully disagree"???????  We'll have none of that on this forum.  I demand that you call me names, question my intelligence and use mean emoticons!

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, I forgot. What was I thinking! I'll make it up to you next time you booger-eater. How's that for incivility?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2019 at 11:12 AM, 72 Roo said:

Sorry, I forgot. What was I thinking! I'll make it up to you next time you booger-eater. How's that for incivility?

 

Sheeeeeeesh!  Eat one little booger....

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

 

Sheeeeeeesh!  Easter one little booger....

It's EAT one little booger you @#$@# piece of #$#$%$$ stupid $#@!#@.  Use your %^%$##$## spell check!!!  :D

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2018 at 11:40 AM, LZIp said:

 

If I passed him on campus or in town my first impression is that he is a basketball coach.

 

You know what they say about first impressions. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2019 at 10:12 AM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

 

I really, really like the idea of adding a prominent NEO high school HC to the staff, especially for recruiting purposes. When a sports team or program makes a personnel move, whether it be coaching or player, it's always good to take a step back and look at the big picture - what is the plan here? i.e. The Indians bringing back Carlos Santana has to do some with contract/age, but a lot to do with patience at the plate and rebuilding a patient lineup. Williams identified a problem - lack of NEO recruiting - and is putting together a plan to solve it. I guarantee Arth has had dreams since his days at JCU of recruiting NEO at the DI level, especially with Akron's facilities. This area is ripe with talent, and it's a bout damn time we started targeting it. Heck, even the soccer program has recruited NEO more than the football program - and the soccer program is a destination/desirable landing spot for worldwide. 

Not that either Lomardo or Tyrell might not do an excellent job at the D-I. Who knows. Would still like to see assistants who have at least some experience in D-I, D-II or D-III. Mat not get D-I assistants at this level. But, would be beneficial if they have college experience and recruiting experience. Still want to see him recruit more in Western PA. It appears Arth has plenty of cache in this part of Ohio.One of the keys is to get the HS coaches to be willing to 'talk up' considering Akron when choosing a school. If you can get a couple of kids from the Mentors,St. Ed's,St. Iggies,Hobans etc. to commit to Akron,if the program improves others will follow.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, even if you don't think you have a chance at a kid because he's headed off to a more prestigious school, at least establish a relationship with him.  College programs very much benefit from kids who "come home" &/or transfer after an original destination doesn't work out (e.g. Jonah Morris).  UA has done this to some extent in the past, but more would be nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there's a kid in Cleveland, Akron, Canton, or Youngstown/Warren that has a P5 scholarship offer, we should be offering him a scholarship as well, even if we have no realistic shot. And if they have even a single G5 offer, we should be scouting them at the very least.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2018 at 12:51 PM, kreed5120 said:

That was my initial thought too, but like your follow up post stated it would seem odd to have 1 coach for ILB and another for OLB. I've never heard of such a thing. Maybe its more common than I realize.

 

Shelton Felton is the ILB coach

 

Davern Williams is the OLB and DE coach

 

As previously mentioned in the thread,

 

Brian Cochran is the DL coach,

 

Oscar Rodriguez Jr. is the secondary coach,

 

and Matt Feeney is the DC

 

 

Edited by zzx
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

So, ummmmmmmm, looks like we just pretty much got the UTC staff.

Pretty much, I’m guessing they are still looking for a OC & WR coach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder what happened to that guy who with the longish hair who would run up and down the sidelines trying to rally the team.   Few days before they fired Bowden I saw that guy at the mall and thought he must know he's out of a job soon 

Edited by NWAkron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Wonder what happened to that guy who with the longish hair who would run up and down the sidelines trying to rally the team.   Few days before they fired Bowden I saw that guy at the mall and thought he must know he's out of a job soon 

Buffalo strength & conditioning coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×