Welcome Tom Arth!

Let'sGoZips94

And this coming from a WR. Lol.

I've got nothing against Oscar Rodriguez, of course.  In fact he looks like a really nice guy.  But the young guys obviously loved Otis.  I wish I could have been a fly on the wall of Tom Arth's office when he was deciding which of the previous staff to consider.

Pure speculation: Tom being so young, probably wants a staff of guys whom he feels like he can fully command.  Just by following Otis on twitter, he kinda appears to be a Samuel L. Jackson-esque bad motherf**ker.  The kids obviously ate it up, but Tom apparently wanted a clean break & a completely fresh start in the locker room.  Idk.  I'm just rambling b/c Otis seemed like a rock star no-brainer to keep.  He was stacking quality DB's like pancakes.  Has to be more to the story.

It's okay to be disappointed that Otis wasn't retained (which I definitely am) AND be able to acknowledge the staff has NEO connections AND acknowledge the staff likely isn't complete (as there are some coaching spots not named yet). Feeney and Williams are great tag alongs from the UT-C staff. Cochran was at Kent State last year. Zagorski and Rodriguiz were not on UT-C's staff, though they both were likely going to be if Arth stayed there.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

Thinking about the retaining of some of the coaching staff, and I had a brain fart and another question came to mnd about this whole process, and maybe you guys/gals have already brought this up....I thought I read somewhere (can't find it) that if we had waited until January 1st to sign coach Arth that we would not have had to "buy him out" from UT-C?  My thoughts centered on the Athletic Admin's decision to hire him prior to early-signing day, so he was in place to try to get some commits.  If this is true, then why isn't someone wondering LOUDLY at the University level as to the fact we got zero early commits for over $350,000?  

19 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

My thoughts centered on the Athletic Admin's decision to hire him prior to early-signing day, so he was in place to try to get some commits.  If this is true, then why isn't someone wondering LOUDLY at the University level as to the fact we got zero early commits for over $350,000?  

I don't think your thoughts are correct. There was never any hope that he would get new commits prior to December 31st. And he stated he would not pressure any incumbent recruits/commits to sign. 

It would have been a low-rent move to have a handshake agreement that he become the head coach, but wait to officially sign him until January 1st. And I'm sure there would have been some sort of lawsuit if we'd have tried it.

Who cares about the $350,000? It is chump change in the world of D-1 athletics. The Nebraska game that we didn't play footed the bill, with $300,000 left over. The South Carolina game paid for Bowden's buyout, with $600,000 left over. 

Notre Dame paid Charlie Weis $19,000,000 not to coach the Irish.

Kansas then paid him $5,650,000 to not coach the Jawhawks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

Thinking about the retaining of some of the coaching staff, and I had a brain fart and another question came to mnd about this whole process, and maybe you guys/gals have already brought this up....I thought I read somewhere (can't find it) that if we had waited until January 1st to sign coach Arth that we would not have had to "buy him out" from UT-C?  My thoughts centered on the Athletic Admin's decision to hire him prior to early-signing day, so he was in place to try to get some commits.  If this is true, then why isn't someone wondering LOUDLY at the University level as to the fact we got zero early commits for over $350,000?  

They are working to make other arrangements (game in Chattanooga) in order to avoid paying that buyout.  Just because being hired before early signing day didn't result in any early signing day commits, that doesn't mean it was a waste. Additional time to build relationships with recruits who might sign in Feb, get staff in place, and build relationship with the current players is very valuable. Waiting until 1/1, while maybe financially savvy,  would have likely been a bad move in a number of ways (perception and recruiting).

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2019 at 4:31 AM, zzx said:

Looking quickly through these bios. appears that most of these guys have experience coaching and/or playing in Ohio.So they are likely going to have contacts established around here already. A couple have experience in California and down South. They have mostly not totally recruited for the D-III level. They are going to have to be able to snag TRUE D-I capable athletes from the area in order to get the program to progress. That means competing with not only Big 10 schools but also more higher profile MAC programs. Thats tough because there is a limited number of that caliber of athlete from around here to go around. Still gonna need to bring in athletes from outside the area to upgrade the talent level. Going to be interested in seeing where they concentrate recruiting besides this area.

I really hope that idea of playing at Chattanooga was just something that was tossed out as an idea, but then quickly scrapped. You only play 12 regular season games and 4 OOC games. If we're that pressed for cash, just schedule (insert P5 school here) and collect the ~$1.3 million. Pay Chattanooga their $300k and use the other $1 million to pay down debt on Infocision. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I really hope that idea of playing at Chattanooga was just something that was tossed out as an idea, but then quickly scrapped. You only play 12 regular season games and 4 OOC games. If we're that pressed for cash, just schedule (insert P5 school here) and collect the ~$1.3 million. Pay Chattanooga their $300k and use the other $1 million to pay down debt on Infocision. 

What is so bad about playing a FCS opponent away (and saving money) rather than hosting and likely losing money?

19 minutes ago, LZIp said:

What is so bad about playing a FCS opponent away (and saving money) rather than hosting and likely losing money?

Kreed is saying don't host.  Go play Northwetern/Illinois/Pitt/ Any other Power 5 school who will pay you over a million.  Use part of the money for the buyout and your transportation to that away game and you still have money left to put towards something else in athletics.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LZIp said:

There is no requirement that we have to play an FCS opponent. We don't have one on our schedule this coming season. If we need the money bad enough that we're willing to sacrifice a home game for it let's at least make it worth our while. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lee Adams said:

Looking quickly through these bios. appears that most of these guys have experience coaching and/or playing in Ohio.So they are likely going to have contacts established around here already. A couple have experience in California and down South. They have mostly not totally recruited for the D-III level. They are going to have to be able to snag TRUE D-I capable athletes from the area in order to get the program to progress. That means competing with not only Big 10 schools but also more higher profile MAC programs. Thats tough because there is a limited number of that caliber of athlete from around here to go around. Still gonna need to bring in athletes from outside the area to upgrade the talent level. Going to be interested in seeing where they concentrate recruiting besides this area.

All the high school offers they given have been Georgia, must of been their recruiting grounds for UT-C

53 minutes ago, Kangaroo Craig said:

I thought the MAC had some sort of rule in place that prohibited its members from scheduling road games against FCS schools? Isn't that the reason why Youngstown won't schedule us? They wanted a home and home?

That's correct

http://www.vindy.com/news/2013/sep/01/why-doesnt-ysu-play-mac-teams/

Our ADs [athletic directors] agreed several years ago to have parameters in non-conference scheduling to play more peer conferences and limit FCS opponents to only home games,” wrote Ken Mather, the MAC’s media relations director, via email

Because YSU competes with Akron and Kent for recruits, Strollo doesn’t want to schedule only road games with those schools, believing it sends a message that the Penguins are a lesser program

On 1/10/2019 at 3:17 PM, 94zipgrad said:

All the high school offers they given have been Georgia, must of been their recruiting grounds for UT-C

Pretty fertile ground for D-I capable talent in GA.If he can pull just a few out of there and really upgrade activity in Ohio and Penna. he might be able to bring in some talent to supplement what he has on the roster already. JD did it in '04-'05. He just couldn't sustain it.

On 1/10/2019 at 9:29 AM, zippy5 said:

It's rare that a new staff comes in and keeps anyone from the old staff. Coaches have their own networks and an idea of the staff before they take the job.. I liked Mounds and so did the players, but if we win, they'll like the new guy too. 

So the Zip players aren't going to like the new guy for several years?

On 1/9/2019 at 8:49 PM, Blue & Gold said:

As a recruiting buff, I already miss Otis Mounds.

According to 247 Sports Shelton Felton a QC coach at Tennessee bailed on them and reunited with Arth, Looks like he left UTC to go to UT then decided he liked Arth better. Says he was a recruiter on the road at UT. Ummmm

• Thanks 1