Game 11- Tennessee State Tigers

clarkwgriswold

The Zips have a quick turnaround with a Tuesday night game against the TSU Tigers.  The Tigers are 3-5, haivng beaten perennial NCAA hoops titans Carver, Fisk and our old friends from Coppin State.  They did only lose to Kentucky by 15 at the Ohio Valley Hardwood Showcase in Lexington.  They are led by 6-4 Ole Miss junior transfer guard Donte Fitzpatrick-Dorsey at 17.3 ppg. 

2 hours ago, zipfan84 said:

Let's hope the Zips have a little more 'hop in their step' tomorrow night. That includes the coaching staff.

The Marshall game was quite the letdown.

I see what you did there...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Groce's Bobcats were 17-14 heading into the MAC tourney in the '09-10 season (his second year at the helm). That year, they lost to Marshall by 7, Tulsa by 1, Austin Peay by 2, and Robert Morris by 2. They won 4 straight in the MAC tourney, including an OT win against Akron in the title game, then went on to knock off Georgetown in the First Round of the NCAA tournament, beating the Hoyas by 14. 

All of Akron's losses this season are by 5 or less. Groce builds his squads to compete in March. Every single loss we've had thus far and will have going forward, will prepare us for March. 

I fully expect the Zips to pick themselves up, brush themselves off, and come out firing tomorrow night in preparation for a big time match-up against Nevada on Saturday. Despite the at-times suffocating negativity on this board (including all sports, not just Men's Basketball), this is a good team. They are young, they have a lot of new faces, and they can be frustrating. But they have the intangibles to be very, very good. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Anyone else ever have trouble posting on Zips Nation from the JAR?  I can usually get in 2 or 3 posts then have trouble.

Odd. Can you give some more info? Connected to WIFI? What operating system? What browser? Have you tried hard reboot when the issue occurs? What happens then?...The more info the better?

1 hour ago, Dr Z said:

Odd. Can you give some more info? Connected to WIFI? What operating system? What browser? Have you tried hard reboot when the issue occurs? What happens then?...The more info the better?

The wi-fi doesn't seem to work for me.  Says I have no internet if I recall.  Android phone.  Reboot doesn't see to help.

22 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I see what you did there...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Groce's Bobcats were 17-14 heading into the MAC tourney in the '09-10 season (his second year at the helm). That year, they lost to Marshall by 7, Tulsa by 1, Austin Peay by 2, and Robert Morris by 2. They won 4 straight in the MAC tourney, including an OT win against Akron in the title game, then went on to knock off Georgetown in the First Round of the NCAA tournament, beating the Hoyas by 14. 

All of Akron's losses this season are by 5 or less. Groce builds his squads to compete in March. Every single loss we've had thus far and will have going forward, will prepare us for March. 

I fully expect the Zips to pick themselves up, brush themselves off, and come out firing tomorrow night in preparation for a big time match-up against Nevada on Saturday. Despite the at-times suffocating negativity on this board (including all sports, not just Men's Basketball), this is a good team. They are young, they have a lot of new faces, and they can be frustrating. But they have the intangibles to be very, very good. 

I'm not sure how Kenpom places a numeric value on luck, but out of 353 D1 teams only Hampton and Mercer are less lucky than Akron. Anybody surprised by that? 

3 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

I'm not sure how Kenpom places a numeric value on luck, but out of 353 D1 teams only Hampton and Mercer are less lucky than Akron. Anybody surprised by that? 

You're relatively new around here and only associated with the Zips (not the Browns, Cavs, Indians that I'm aware of). Being unlucky and a Northeast Ohio sports fan are synonymous. Success is never easy, and typically there a plethora of letdowns; some letdowns even involve inventing new ways to lose. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

15 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

I don't understand.  Oh, I get it.  Like when at the end of the Marshall game I knew Akron wasn't going to make the final shot.   An unlucky team.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

You're relatively new around here and only associated with the Zips (not the Browns, Cavs, Indians that I'm aware of). Being unlucky and a Northeast Ohio sports fan are synonymous. Success is never easy, and typically there a plethora of letdowns; some letdowns even involve inventing new ways to lose. 

108 years...that was the Cubs drought before winning it all in 2016. So we know a few things about finding creative ways to lose; Bartman, goats, day games in the Summer, etc. Remind me, who was it the Cubs beat again in 2016? Ha, I kid. I'm more of a White Sox fan anyway so we get to beat on each other regularly.

52 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Seriously? Good for you. Our home schedule this year is one of the reasons I didn't get season tickets this year for the first time in years. Only Marshall game and MAC games for me.

Remember the good old days when we complained about the Dambrot OOC schedule.  How could you not get tickets for Carnegie Mellon?  That team can score some serious (ACT and SAT) points.

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I don't understand.  Oh, I get it.  Like when at the end of the Marshall game I knew Akron wasn't going to make the final shot.   An unlucky team.

Pretty much it's stating that statistically the Zips have played better than their record indicates. Pretty much losing a bunch of close games, like the Zips have, will make you appear unlucky. Winning a bunch of close games will make you appear lucky.