Game 11- Tennessee State Tigers

clarkwgriswold

I mean, we have played Clemson, Illinois State, St Bonaventure, Marshall, and will play Nevada this OOC. 4 of those 5 at least won 1 NCAA game last year. I believe Illinois State was picked to finish high in the MVC. We also play Buffalo twice, who won a tourney game last year lol - and is undefeated, unless they lose to Cuse tonight.

I agree the home OOC sucks tho. 

Edited by LZIp

We shot the ball well but this was some pretty ugly basketball.  A lot of stupid turnovers from both teams.  There was very little continuity to this game.  At least we saw a couple of our centers score although Sales and Poke had dunks that were blocked and Deng missed a wide open bunny.  The commentator indicated that we have 4 centers and Groce is waiting for one of them to step up.  After tonights game he is still waiting.  Looks like he might be waiting all season.

• Like 1

Again, waaaaaaaaay to many turnovers.  That level of play won't work in the MAC, but there's still some time to iron things out.  I was not pleased with their play against that weird 1-3-1 zone.  Too little ball movement.  I also was not happy with the way they responded to the press.   Glad TSU ran some of that stuff to help get the Zips ready.  Kudos to the TSU kids for playing hard sportsmanlike ball all night.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Again, waaaaaaaaay to many turnovers.  That level of play won't work in the MAC, but there's still some time to iron things out.  I was not pleased with their play against that weird 1-3-1 zone.  Too little ball movement.  I also was not happy with the way they responded to the press.   Glad TSU ran some of that stuff to help get the Zips ready.  Kudos to the TSU kids for playing hard sportsmanlike ball all night.  

Agreed. Noticed this as well. Very, very classy game from them. 

13 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Yes, it would be nice to schedule more home and homes against C-USA, CAA, and MVC teams.

Or schedule games against the better teams in the WAC, SWAC, or Horizon league. Chicago State, Alabama State, and Detroit were a combined 19-76 last year. Add in Cedarville and Carnegie Mellon and there is nothing to peak my interest at least. I guess Tennesse State was at least decent at 15-15. I know a lot of teams stock up victories over lesser teams in their OOC games, but I don't pay to see those games either. 

16 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Or schedule games against the better teams in the WAC, SWAC, or Horizon league. Chicago State, Alabama State, and Detroit were a combined 19-76 last year. Add in Cedarville and Carnegie Mellon and there is nothing to peak my interest at least. I guess Tennesse State was at least decent at 15-15. I know a lot of teams stock up victories over lesser teams in their OOC games, but I don't pay to see those games either. 

The SWAC has better teams???

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, VAZip said:

What happens when or if he gets injured? There clearly is no back up. If I were Groce that would keep me up at night more so than the lack of production from the ‘bigs’.

Very true.  I was surprised to see both LCJ & Cheese in the staring lineup together last night.  I think Cheese fills the role of backup PG better than anyone else.

We don't have a true PG coming in next year either.

4 minutes ago, VAZip said:

What happens when or if he gets injured? There clearly is no back up. If I were Groce that would keep me up at night more so than the lack of production from the ‘bigs’.

Right now, Cheese appears to be the primary backup, and he's better suited to the off guard spot.  After him, it is thin.  I like Scott Walter, but he's not ready for major minutes.  I'm afraid teams are going to try to pound LCJ in MAC play.