Game 12 - Nevada

kreed5120

13 hours ago, dre22era said:

When given a bigger opportunity and budget at Illinois what did he do in a weak Big Ten during that time? 

Only make it to the NCAA Once and that was his first season and not his recruits. 

He fell flat on his ass and crawled back to the MAC and what do we do? = hire that guy 

Groce needed Akron more than Akron needed him. 

Sorry, I can't let this stand. This is pure ignorance. You will not find the true story of Groce's tenure at Illinois in a stat book. I have already spelled out much of it on this forum. There is not a coach in Division 1 who would have survived what happen to him in terms of injuries, having recruits bought out from underneith him, losing home court advantage much of the time due to the arena going through a 3 stage/3 year remodel, etc. Why do you think I'm here? I want to see what I was robbed of come to fruition.

On a related note: 3 of Groce's last recruits before he was let go now start for our inner-state rival, Missouri. Mizzou just blew us out tonight by 14 points in our annual rivalry game. Oh, what could have been.

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Sorry, I can't let this stand. This is pure ignorance. You will not find the true story of Groce's tenure at Illinois in a stat book. I have already spelled out much of it on this forum. There is not a coach in Division 1 who would have survived what happen to him in terms of injuries, having recruits bought out from underneith him, losing home court advantage much of the time due to the arena going through a 3 stage/3 year remodel, etc. Why do you think I'm here. I want to see what I was robbed of come to fruition.

On a related note: 3 of Groce's last recruits before he was let go now start for our inter-state rival, Missouri. Mizzou just blew us out tonight by 14 points in our annual rivalry game. Oh, what could have been.

Bookmarked for Future Reference 

The Trolling Bookmark!  Watch out Illini Zip...Dre can’t STAND to have his opinions questioned despite their obvious trolling qualities being exposed.  You are now on the List!  I honestly cannot understand any other reason he posts.  He hates the city now, referencing how “ run down” and how “racist” it “always was”, of course all since he left.  And I cannot honestly think of one post that has ever had a positive spin when it comes to the teams, the coaches (other than the ones he supposedly liked and “we” let them go), the AD, the Board, the Marketing Dept., the SIDS, the fans...so why post, except to troll?  Glad you called him out, but WATCH OUT Now.

• Thanks 1

Groce really tightened up the rotation last night.  

Only seven players saw the court.  

Neither Olojakapoke nor Roscoe played.  

Both Utomi & Ivey played 39 minutes while LCJ logged 35 minutes.

Nevada was also forced to give the game everything they had, as they also only gave 7 players any PT.

Both Martin twins played 39 minutes, while Jordan Caroline logged 37.

That was a slugfest last night.

• Like 1

Keith Dambrot was hired as the head basketball coach at Duquesne in MARCH OF 2017.  He is now well into his second season there.  I assume he is enjoying the greater opportunity to participate in the NCAA tourney in the A10.  He was a hometown boy who did good things for UA and made us proud of our Zips, but he left us for what he perceived to be greener pastures.  He had some negatives, but overall, the goods far outweighed the bads.  I guess I'll be curious as to how he does, but no more so than I am curious in what PCCC, OSU or CSU does.  Quite simply, he's moved on so so have I.

Groce has been places, under similar circumstances, that KD has never been.  Am I convinced that he's the end all be all, no, but it's still a work in progress and the program sure as hell could have done worse that a guy with his resume.  In any event, he's the captain of the Zip ship>  The KD ship passed long ago so it's way overdue for us all to just move on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, zvillezip said:

If our bigs can improve we have a chance to be dangerous come tourney time.  Our wings are very good.  Sayles does not seem to be in shape to me.  Last year I saw him elevate and crush some dunks.  Last night he got blocked several times. Crush it young man!  What was up with Eman not playing?

I have seen Sayles get blocked on layups or dunks at least 5 times this season.  He needs to go up strong and more quickly.  However, he seemed to have his best game last night.  On one sequence he got blocked, got the rebound,  missed a shot and got the rebound, and then missed a bunny.  He seemed to play with some aggression.  Something I have not seen since last season. We actually tried to get the ball to our center last night.  Poke has not looked good all season and Klac will probably sit the bench.  I think we will see more of the Sayles. 

39 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

On one sequence he got blocked, got the rebound,  missed a shot and got the rebound, and then missed a bunny.  He seemed to play with some aggression.  Something I have not seen since last season. 

I appreciated that sequence as well.  He was battling down there, was aggressive & wasn't at all intimidated.  He didn't score, but it was a good sign.  Just keep battling like that, Jaden.  You consistently keep battling like that and calls begin to go your way.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I appreciated that sequence as well.  He was battling down there, was aggressive & wasn't at all intimidated.  He didn't score, but it was a good sign.  Just keep battling like that, Jaden.  You consistently keep battling like that and calls begin to go your way.

Exactly.  The talent is there, it just seems that his mind wanders sometimes when he's out there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Keith Dambrot was hired as the head basketball coach at Duquesne in MARCH OF 2017.  He is now well into his second season there.  I assume he is enjoying the greater opportunity to participate in the NCAA tourney in the A10.  He was a hometown boy who did good things for UA and made us proud of our Zips, but he left us for what he perceived to be greener pastures.  He had some negatives, but overall, the goods far outweighed the bads.  I guess I'll be curious as to how he does, but no more so than I am curious in what PCCC, OSU or CSU does.  Quite simply, he's moved on so so have I.

Groce has been places, under similar circumstances, that KD has never been.  Am I convinced that he's the end all be all, no, but it's still a work in progress and the program sure as hell could have done worse that a guy with his resume.  In any event, he's the captain of the Zip ship>  The KD ship passed long ago so it's way overdue for us all to just move on.

Well said.  In the words of cousin Eddie, "Thanks Clark". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 months later...