Interview with New Zips Head Football Coach Tom Arth

Captain Kangaroo

On Thursday December 20th, new Zips Head Football Coach Tom Arth was kind enough to allow me a 30 minute interview. While I would have loved to garnered details such as recruit names and a detailed list of staff candidates, unfortunately neither was possible. Trust me, I tried. ;) 

Until things are official, and contracts are signed, we all simply need to put the puzzle pieces together ourselves from Twitter and other similar sources. That said, I though he provided some great insight into his personal life, his football mindset and the DNA that will make up Akron Zips Football in the Arth Era. I hope you enjoy it.

Note to Dr. Z: Regarding photography at scrimmages - Coach Arth was quoted as saying “Still photography is great.” Unlike the Bowden scrimmages, where only the initial 15 minutes of warm ups were open to photography, you should now be able to take plenty of action shots. Hope Santa got you a sweet new sports lens for Christmas this year!

Coach Arth Q & A

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7

Nice job Captain.  Well done!

I really liked this quote-

"At the end of the day, where a player comes from, how he gets here is less important to me than the type of person he is and what he can contribute to our program. Both on and off the field. Is he the right fit for The University of Akron? Is he the right fit for the culture of the program that I’m looking to build here? Those are the decisions we have to make.”

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Nice job Captain.  Well done!

I really liked this quote-

"At the end of the day, where a player comes from, how he gets here is less important to me than the type of person he is and what he can contribute to our program. Both on and off the field. Is he the right fit for The University of Akron? Is he the right fit for the culture of the program that I’m looking to build here? Those are the decisions we have to make.”

Similar to what Groce says about the basketball team.  Of course, that's a nice theory until you have a Treadwell come along.

3 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Note to Dr. Z: Regarding photography at scrimmages - Coach Arth was quoted as saying “Still photography is great.” Unlike the Bowden scrimmages, where only the initial 15 minutes of warm ups were open to photography, you should now be able to take plenty of action shots. Hope Santa got you a sweet new sports lens for Christmas this year!

Great news! I’m happy to share images with ZipsNation when given the opportunity! I think this summer fans will be hungry for info. I’ll be there!

PS Being out of the country and state working for the last month makes me realize how valuable this site is to fans that aren’t able to attend or watch games. Thank you ZipsNation members!

Great job on the interview CK, looking forward to meeting coach Arth when I return. ???

Go Zips!!!

• Like 1

Thanks for this....maybe the ABJ would be willing to treat you the way they use Brad Bourneval for men’s soccer and run his free lance stuff, and ship ol’ George off to an island with the great writer Sir Elton (I don’t mean John) from the Buckeye-centric PD.  :lol:

Edited by ZipsVoice
Spelling

• 3 weeks later...