Louisville Courts Jared Embick...Comes up Empty. Go Zips!

Just saw this as well and my heart sunk too. Akron is the type of place where good coaches do get poached but you'd hope it would more difficult to do in this situation, thank goodness Jared perhaps explored the possibility and decided Akron was still his best option. I don't have any problem with coaches looking elsewhere that is their right and I am thrilled that it appears we're keeping him. But to  Louisville? No school I have less respect for than them. In addition to losing Lolla to them (even though it was a blessing in disguise) they had the two absolute worst low-life football and basketball coaches in the country, Petrino and Pitino. So happy both are now gone but they will forever stain Louisville. There is one University that absolutely sold it's soul. Jared you made a very smart choice to stay, I hope this University appreciates it and shows it.  

Edited by MDZip
  • Like 1

• Dr Z changed the title to Jared Embick to Louisville?
  • Captain Kangaroo changed the title to Louisville Courts Jared Embick...Comes up Empty. Go Zips!

Thanks for the thread title change @dre22era  Very nice! 

Thanks again to Coach Embick for staying at Akron. I trust Zipsnation will reward Jared for his dedication to us by showing our resolve to help keep our Zips Men's Soccer program strong.

For those who are not soccer fans, please understand Akron does get a lot of free press every time one of our Men's Soccer alumni in the pros takes the field. Our program is mentioned. When we have a run like we did this season those mentions increase. That happens on FOX, the ESPN networks, NBC, NBC Sports, and online. Players in MLS, USL, and the English Premier League and elsewhere around the world do us proud. 

Darren Mattocks with FC Cincy and, if rumors are true, Caleb Porter leading the Columbus Crew, will likely bring us more attention in Ohio. 

Chris Stimler said it so well in this tweet...

Just in the last few weeks, some of the attention we garnered (not even close to all-inclusive):

ESPN SportsCenter Play of the Day #7 (12/7/18)

This incredible game-winning team goal at Stanford (Elite8) that propelled us to the 2018 College Cup and went viral on Twitter...

Death by a thousand passes:D

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I think it requires a mod to change a thread title.

On this version of ZN.o, the poster who started a thread can change the title by editing the post with which the thread was started.

• Thanks 2

Reportedly spurned by at least three high profile coaches, Louisville (correctly pronounced Loserville) Men's Soccer has finally found their coach from among extant assistants.

Louisville KY native John Michael Hayden arguably should have been their choice all along, except for the university's penchant for hostile takeovers and corruption.

Nonetheless, John Michael Hayden is a highly regarded up-and-coming coach.  So, look out.

https://gocards.com/news/2018/12/27/hayden-chosen-to-guide-uofl-mens-soccer-program.aspx

• Like 2

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2018/12/27/louisville-soccer-vince-tyra-new-head-coach/2424852002/

...Fresh from a second-place finish in the NCAA’s College Cup, Akron’s Embick was sure to show up on every serious school's short list. Despite the inherent disadvantages of coaching outside the Power Five Conferences, Akron has won more games (94) in Embick’s six years as head coach than any other Division I program. Previously the program’s recruiting coordinator, Embick’s recruiting classes have ranked first or second nationally six times in the last 10 years.

Embick did not respond to a request for comment from the Courier Journal, but U of L board members, boosters and website operators believed he was bound for Louisville as late as last Saturday.

“I certainly had a chance to get to know Jared,” Tyra said. “He’s had a terrific career. But I think for different reasons — Akron upping their support of the program (and) probably personal reasons as well — he decided to stay. ... So he kind of dropped out of the process and we continued forward.” ...

Although I posted that Coach Embick was staying, I have no knowledge of what UL offered, what UA may have countered, or any idea of any of the details of Jared's decision. All that matters to me, and I hope to everyone of us, is:

1) Jared chose to stay at Akron, which is the most awesome news and gift for us.

2) We, the Zips Men's Soccer supporters and donors --- season ticket holders; fans; UA alumni; team alumni; future supporters, donors, season ticket holders, etc. --- need to continue to push for and find ways to help UA better support our Championship Men's Soccer Program. Sorry to keep repeating myself but realize as this article states...Akron’s Embick was sure to show up on every serious school's short list. I don't see that changing in the future. We have to keep our program strong. Thanks so much for everything all of you do for our program. Let's keep it up and strive to do even better just like we ask of our coaches, staff, and players. We are a team. We are Akron! GO ZIPS!!! #AkronMade

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 3

1. Jared Embick is still the men's soccer coach at The University of Akron. Thank you Jared for a fantastic 2018 and all that you, your staff and players do.

2. Ken Lolla headed to Louisville for many reasons, among them the idea that he didn't think he could win a national championship at Akron. Ken still doesn't have his championship and I wish him well in his future endeavors.

3. Appears to be a nice hire by the Cards. Good luck to Coach Hayden - wouldn't mind seeing them on a future schedule. I appreciate that they hired from within a la Embick.

• Like 3