Game 13- Carnegie Mellon Tartan

clarkwgriswold

Please feel free to move this entry. Not sure where to put it and have never started my own thread.

Definition of schadenfreude: enjoyment obtained from the troubles of others

Example 1: Coach Groce is not one to discuss such matters, but the schadenfreude must have been overwhelming when he learned that his Zips have just surpassed his former team on Kenpom.  (Akron 109, Illinois 113)  https://kenpom.com

Example 2: Illini Zip displayed much schadenfreude when he chose to share that the Fighting Illini fan base and media which were so eager to pack Coach Groce's bags for the unforgivable sin of missing 4 consecutive NCAA Tournaments have set their sights on a new scalp in just a year and a half.  https://illiniboard.com/story/2018/12/30/crossroads/

Note: I am not abandoning my Fighting Illini in any respect, but I am furious. Collectively, the lack of patience and pragmatism cost Illinois dearly. I did choose to change my avatar on this forum out of respect for you all. I truly appreciate being welcomed here and it's been quite enjoyable. So fear the Roo and let's kick some W.Michigan Bronco butt!!

The last time I checked these lists was probably around 2010 and Illinois was just inside the top ten of all-time winning college basketball programs. They are now down to the 15th spot depending on if you choose to count overall wins vs win percentage. And in terms of fan attendance we were sometimes in the top 10, but always in the top 20. Lately #25 or so. Illini basketball fans are criticized in the national sports media for having lofty expectations. These numbers prove that their expectations are the only thing that is in line these days. Which leads me to my next prediction; Illini nation will completely come unglued the moment Groce gets Akron into the NCAA Tourney making him the fourth consecutive coach to have success after leaving Champaign; Lon Kruger of Oklahoma, Bill Self of Kansas and Bruce Weber of Kansas State. And I don't see any sign of a turn around for Illinois anytime soon. Stay tuned, more schadenfreude for Groce is coming to a basketball arena near you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_teams_with_the_most_victories_in_NCAA_Division_I_men's_college_basketball

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attendanceYBYtop25.pdf

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Like 3

I too appreciate you being on this board. Your posts are very insightful. FWIW, I liked your Illini avatar. I think it is classy and by no means disrespectful to the Zip faithful. A diversity of perspective is valuable and welcome. Happy New Year!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

Please feel free to move this entry. Not sure where to put it and have never started my own thread.

Example 1: Coach Groce is not one to discuss such matters, but the schadenfreude must have been overwhelming when he learned that his Zips have just surpassed his former team on Kenpom.  (Akron 109, Illinois 113)  https://kenpom.com

Example 2: Illini Zip displayed much schadenfreude when he chose to share that the Fighting Illini fan base and media which were so eager to pack Coach Groce's bags for the unforgivable sin of missing 4 consecutive NCAA Tournaments have set their sights on a new scalp in just a year and a half.  https://illiniboard.com/story/2018/12/30/crossroads/

Note: I am not abandoning my Fighting Illini in any respect, but I am furious. Collectively, the lack of patience and pragmatism cost Illinois dearly. I did choose to change my avatar on this forum out of respect for you all. I truly appreciate being welcomed here and it's been quite enjoyable. So fear the Roo and let's kick some W.Michigan Bronco butt!!

The last time I checked these lists was probably around 2010 and Illinois was just inside the top ten of all-time winning college basketball programs. They are now down to the 15th spot depending on if you choose to count overall wins vs win percentage. And in terms of fan attendance we were sometimes in the top 10, but always in the top 20. Lately #25 or so. Illini basketball fans are criticized in the national sports media for having lofty expectations. These numbers prove that their expectations are the only thing that is in line these days. Which leads me to my next prediction; Illini nation will completely come unglued the moment Groce gets Akron into the NCAA Tourney making him the fourth consecutive coach to have success after leaving Champaign; Lon Kruger of Oklahoma, Bill Self of Kansas and Bruce Weber of Kansas State. And I don't see any sign of a turn around for Illinois anytime soon. Stay tuned, more schadenfreude for Groce is coming to a basketball arena near you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_teams_with_the_most_victories_in_NCAA_Division_I_men's_college_basketball

PLEASE post lots more stuff about Illinois.  I can't get enough of it or stuff about the swirling winders of Iowa.

I sat with a dad of the center from Carnegie Mellon, minimum s.a.t. score 1350, and he filled me in on the team.  He told me that the team plays division 3 in an academic league with other "smart schools" and that they play in an old gym that was built in 1920 and that they usually draw about 250.  (smart kids don't watch hoops?)  His son was the center and played very well.  When he got the ball he took the ball straight up even though he was against our centers who were far bigger, more athletic, quicker, and stronger.  He told me that this was the only division 1 team on their schedule and was the super bowl.  

Watching this game it reminded me how offensively challenged we are with our 4 centers.   E man does not look the same from last year and the 9 months off from b ball has really hurt his game.  After I indicated that Klac would transfer he looked good against this team and it helped his confidence.  Riak and Sayles should have dominated but it did not happen.  Riak had 3 points in 23 minutes.  

Jackson did not have a very active game.  He is so quick he should have been able to attack the basket at will.  When he did drive he never finished at the hoop.  He needs to take the ball up and stop circling the hoop.  Our team needs to learn to finish at the hoop.  I see Utomi doing the same thing.  He gets position under the hoop and then hesitates or fades away from the basket.  He has a strong body and needs to finish strong.  When you drive to the hoop you draw fouls.   Our wings, Cheese, Banks and Ivey are the strength of this team.  If this team can shoot 40% from the 3 line in Mac play we will be tough.  I would just like to see one our centers develop an inside game.  How I miss Big Dog.

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Illinois is a mess across the board in athletics.  Football may be even worse than basketball.

Illinois has always been a mess in football. The only time I can remember them being relevant was when they had Juice Williams. They're a basketball school and always have been. It makes their fall to the bottom of B10 surprising.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

Considering the fact that Illinois is essentially paying Groce to coach at Akron until the end of this season, I guess we can put up with the "what could have been" at Assembly Hall for the rest of this season.  Next season...not so much.:rolleyes:

38 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Considering the fact that Illinois is essentially paying Groce to coach at Akron until the end of this season, I guess we can put up with the "what could have been" at Assembly Hall for the rest of this season.  Next season...not so much.:rolleyes:

I understand NWAkron, you have served me my notice. And believe me when I say that I am invested in the Zips now. I really am. It's just so damn hard to watch a once proud program burn to the ground. And I have to listen to arrogant know-nothings in the other camp every step of the way. Somebody on here would have noticed the Kenpom ratings eventually. I just thought I would address it in the moment. 

Go Zips!!

33 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

I understand NWAkron, you have served me my notice. And believe me when I say that I am invested in the Zips now. I really am. It's just so damn hard to watch a once proud program burn to the ground. And I have to listen to arrogant know-nothings in the other camp every step of the way. Somebody on here would have noticed the Kenpom ratings eventually. I just thought I would address it in the moment. 

Go Zips!!

That was mostly sarcasm on my part.  We can use all the input we can get on this forum.  Happy New Year.   

• Thanks 1