Warshaw: A 2019 wish for every MLS club

...Columbus Crew SC

(Assuming the Caleb Porter deal gets done…) That Porter digs up the “death by one thousand passes” coaching book he buried the last time he left Ohio.

When Porter coached the University of Akron, his teams played exceptionally gorgeous soccer. Exceptional is reductive here, too. He never got to the same heights in Portland, even when they won MLS Cup.

If the Akron Porter returns, then favorite the Crew on your ESPN+ account. ...

Edited by Zip_ME87

49 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Only the second Bezbatchenko I've heard of.   First was the Akron QB (and men's S&D team member) who led the Zips to College Division National Championship Game in 1976.  Related?

here is an inspiring story about one of the sons of the former zip QB Marty Bezbatchenko

https://www.si.com/vault/2006/09/11/8386254/seventeen-million-to-one

I will attach a 2nd link.....that shows that Tim is a cousin of the young man that shot the hole in one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, Tim is a grandson of one of Zips Men's Soccer biggest fans and season ticket holder who sits 2 rows behind me at Cub Cadet Field (and also on Dec 7 and 9, 2018 at UCSB).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Z.I.P. said:

Only the second Bezbatchenko I've heard of.   First was the Akron QB (and men's S&D team member) who led the Zips to College Division National Championship Game in 1976.  Related?

Since you mentioned this team...

https://gozips.com/sports/2018/4/25/team-of-distinction-1976-football.aspx

Tim Bezbatchenko (#10), University of Richmond...

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/rich/sports/m-soccer/auto_pdf/msoccer-10-18.pdf

Junior • Midfielder • 5-9 Westerville, Ohio (St. Francis DeSales)

AS A SOPHOMORE: Played in all 21 matches, earning 19 starts…took 17 shots…netted one goal and earned two assists…scored the game-winner against La Salle…assisted on Matt Greene’s goal at #24 Wake Forest…assisted on Eric Dutt’s gamewinner in 3-0 victory over Fairfield…named to the Duke/adidas Soccer Classic all-tournament team.

AS A FRESHMAN: Played in 19 matches with three starts...fired 15 shots on goal...netted two goals and was second on team with five assists for nine total points...scored Spiders’ first two goals in Richmond’s 3-0 victory versus Cincinnati at Nike/ALLTEL Soccer Classic…recorded two assists in 6-1 win over Pennsylvania in first round of UR-Nike Challenge Cup…assisted on Ben Corfield’s goal in 2-1 win over Towson…registered assists on both goals in Spiders’ 2-1 overtime win at Radford…started three conference contests against UNC Wilmington, George Mason and Old Dominion.

HIGH SCHOOL AND PERSONAL DATA: Attended St. Francis DeSales High School in Westerville, Ohio...paced his team to state championship as a sophomore...member of Ohio state, regional and Midwest Olympic Development Program teams...part of United States National Pool in 1999-2000...played club soccer for Ohio FC...his club team represented United States in Nike Global Premier Cup in England...honored as two-year team captain...all-state, all district and all-league selection as senior...economics and leadership studies major, with a minor in Spanish...son of Michael and Ellen Bezbatchenko...

BEZBATCHENKO’S CAREER STATISTICS Year MP-MS Sh G A P 2000 19-3 15 2 5 9 2001 21-19 17 1 2 4 Totals 40-22 32 3 7 13

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

Who was the kicker on this 1976 team?

there must be a story here.....so I will bite.....

when I look at the roster , there is a freshman kicker from Barberton or Norton

and there is a junior kicker from Ravenna named Jim Embick

what is the story for the kicker on the 76 team?

1 hour ago, TennZip said:

Me too....is it the fact that the kicker was named "Embick" coincidentally, or did you also note that the QB of that team (and later color analyst with Frenchy for football broadcasts) was named Bezbatchenko?  I was hoping the Crew's Bez had some ties to the Tallmadge Bez's.....Marty B was (and is) a great guy....

Edited by ZipsVoice

Not to get wayyyy off topic,, but in running through the names of the football roster, a team as stated was DII runner-up, isn't it quaint, and isn't it a lesson maybe 32 seasons later to new football coach Arth and staff that there were 89 Ohio natives on the roster, 1 from Germany, 1 from Connecticut,  1 from New York, 1 from Virginia, 1 from West Virginia, and 1 from Maryland.  Recruit Ohio Coach Arth!!!!!

On 1/3/2019 at 3:00 PM, ZipsVoice said:

Me too....is it the fact that the kicker was named "Embick" coincidentally, or did you also note that the QB of that team (and later color analyst with Frenchy for football broadcasts) was named Bezbatchenko?  I was hoping the Crew's Bez had some ties to the Tallmadge Bez's.....Marty B was (and is) a great guy....

Marty Bezbatchenko (1976 Akron QB, Tallmadge, OH) is Tim Bezbatchenko's uncle. Tim's grandmother was a UA professor and is a current season ticket holder for Zips Men's Soccer, Men's Basketball, and Football (I believe). Another uncle of Tim's is a Zips Men's Soccer and Men's Basketball season ticket holder. I sat with both of these great Zips fans at the College Cup in December just like at First Energy Stadium - Cub Cadet Field...felt like a home game. 

With Captain Wil Trapp, Head Coach Caleb Porter, Assistant coach Pablo Moreira, and President Tim Bezbatchencko, the 2019 Columbus Crew has significant ties to UA. --- the reason I started this thread.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TennZip said:

There is no story of which I am aware.  Probably coincidence.  I just pointed to a red herring.

TORONTO AND COLUMBUS MAKE FRONT OFFICE MOVES

Very positive article about Tim Bezbatchencko. I'm looking forward to the resurgence of the Crew and the establishment of the "Ohio Derby" between FC Cincy and CrewSC. 

Columbus Crew SC names Tim Bezbatchenko as President and announces Caleb Porter as Head Coach

... Prior to his time in MLS, Porter, who holds a U.S. Soccer Federation “Pro” license, served as head coach of the University of Akron from 2006-2012. During that span, Porter compiled a record of 123-18-17, guiding Akron to one NCAA College Cup (2009), seven consecutive Mid-American Conference regular-season Championships (2006-2012) and four MAC Tournament titles (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012). Porter earned several honors during his tenure as Head Coach of the Zips, including National Soccer Coaches Association of America National Coach of the Year (2009), NSCAA All-Ohio Coach of the Year (2008, 2009, 2011) and MAC Coach of the Year (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012).

While head coach of the Zips, Porter also worked as the head coach of the U.S. Under-23 Men’s National Team from 2011-2012. Prior to that, he spent three years as an assistant coach on the U.S. U-18 National Team from 2009-2011, also while working for the Zips. ...