https://www.columbuscrewsc.com/post/2019/01/04/fast-facts-caleb-porter

... Porter has Ohio ties, having served as head coach of the University of Akron from 2006-2012, where he coached Crew SC captain Wil Trapp for two seasons (2010-2011). Porter led the Zips to one NCAA College Cup, seven MAC regular-season Championships and four MAC Tournament titles. ...

40 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

https://www.columbuscrewsc.com/post/2019/01/04/fast-facts-caleb-porter

... Porter has Ohio ties, having served as head coach of the University of Akron from 2006-2012, where he coached Crew SC captain Wil Trapp for two seasons (2010-2011). Porter led the Zips to one NCAA College Cup, seven MAC regular-season Championships and four MAC Tournament titles. ...

What a horribly inaccurate paragraph. 

It should read...

Porter led the Zips to One National Championship, Two College Cups...

Not to mention it completely leaves out his winning percentage, undefeated season (National Runner Up), etc. Just more disrespect I guess...

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

Warshaw: On possession, pragmatism and Caleb Porter's return to Ohio

... The last time Caleb Porter coached in Ohio, his team played the best soccer you’ve ever seen on American soil. They were a team that built from the back, passed through the midfield and combined in the final third.

They dared teams to pressure them and then humiliated them when they did. Pass, move, pass, move — chase, chase, chase — thank you very much. The midfielders looked calm and controlled. The attackers oozed confidence, grace, and creativity. Their soccer made the heart sing.

In his seven years at the University of Akron, Porter won an NCAA national championship and made northeast Ohio one of the stopping points for elite talent in America. The college game is… different from the professional level, no doubt. But regardless of the level, the Zips left a mark on anyone who watched them play. ...

10 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

It should read...

Just more disrespect I guess...

Someone who didn't check their facts.

Edit: Thanks @Let'sGoZips94.  I was posting, copying and pasting without reading all of the details. 

Edited by Zip_ME87

7 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

It should read...

Just more disrespect I guess...

Caleb Porter, Tim Bezbatchenko, and Crew96 are all trending on twitter in Cleveland. Even with a few inaccuracies, it's great that Akron Men's Soccer is getting some web attention with our connections in these tweets/articles.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Warshaw: On possession, pragmatism and Caleb Porter's return to Ohio

... The last time Caleb Porter coached in Ohio, his team played the best soccer you’ve ever seen on American soil. They were a team that built from the back, passed through the midfield and combined in the final third.

They dared teams to pressure them and then humiliated them when they did. Pass, move, pass, move — chase, chase, chase — thank you very much. The midfielders looked calm and controlled. The attackers oozed confidence, grace, and creativity. Their soccer made the heart sing.

In his seven years at the University of Akron, Porter won an NCAA national championship and made northeast Ohio one of the stopping points for elite talent in America. The college game is… different from the professional level, no doubt. But regardless of the level, the Zips left a mark on anyone who watched them play. ...

Some more "gushing" over Akron in this article...

Speaking to FourFourTwo in 2017 about his growth as a coach, Porter said: “I've had to learn an even deeper level of adjustment and tactical awareness, and that's made me a much more well-rounded coach. I still have my beliefs, I still have my philosophies, but I think when I came here, I had a couple philosophies. Now I have 100 philosophies.”

It’s a fine answer from a coach. I just hope he returns to his foundational philosophy upon returning to his managerial roots. I’m a romantic about Porter’s Akron teams, as I imagine anyone who watched them would be. I didn’t love the way he coached the Timbers teams — a team with Diego Valeri, Darlington Nagbe and Diego Chara shouldn’t finish outside of the top 10 in passes attempted (or miss the playoffs twice in five years).

Porter and Timbers maestro Diego Valeri in 2013 | USA Today Sports Images

I’ll never blame a coach for playing to win, but Porter offered something at Akron that few coaches have ever provided in America. I get that it was a college team, but if only you had seen them...

One can’t help but hope Ohio brings the best out of Porter. And Columbus feels like the perfect place right now to bring it out of hibernation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I told some people after he was hired by the Crew that this wasn't exactly a good thing for Ohio State Men's Soccer, as Porter will more than likely encourage the top Crew Academy players to go to Akron to be groomed for his style of play. I didn't even think about the publicity Akron will get... IN Columbus. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

It should read...

Not to mention it completely leaves out his winning percentage, undefeated season (National Runner Up), etc. Just more disrespect I guess...

Look at the author's bio (on his twitter account)...

Carlos D. Mojica

@CD_Mojica

@ColumbusCrewSC Communications Manager. Gerente de Comunicación de #Crew96. @KentState Alumnus. Opinions are my own. Mis opiniones son solamente mías.

Edited by Zip_ME87

14 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Look at the author's bio (on his twitter account)...

Carlos D. Mojica

@CD_Mojica

@ColumbusCrewSC Communications Manager. Gerente de Comunicación de #Crew96. @KentState Alumnus. Opinions are my own. Mis opiniones son solamente mías.

Ha!!!!!  Good ol' Can't State....thanks for finding this ME

Ohio roots touching multiple layers of Crew SC organization

...So whether it’s the Gahanna Boy (Trapp), the Zips’ Zen Master (Porter), the Wizard of Westerville (Bezbatchenko), and of course, The Edwards Family and The Haslam Family operating from Columbus and Cleveland, respectively (alliterations only run so far), Crew SC’s Ohio roots run vertically as the Black & Gold rise in pursuit of MLS Cup in the years to come. ...

https://www.columbuscrewsc.com/post/2019/01/07/2019-columbus-crew-sc-schedule-revealed-0

Full MLS schedule was released today. Opportunities (as of today) to see Zips on both sides in Columbus in 2019

March 30 v Atlanta: Darlington Nagbe

April 7 v NE Revolution: Teal Bunbury, Scott Caldwell

April 20 v Portland Timbers: Zarek Valentin

May 8 v LA Galaxy: Perry Kitchen

June 1 v NYCFC: Jonathan Lewis

June 29 v Orlando City SC: Joao Moutinho

July 20 v Montreal Impact: Evan Bush

August 10 v FC Cincy: Darren Mattocks

Wiebe: 5 Big Questions the day before the SuperDraft

...With the schedule officially out, what match am I most looking forward to in 2019?

Three words: Hell is real.

That sign, which you see on the drive from Columbus to Cincinnati, is the inspiration for the name of the rivalry between the clubs, a moniker both have embraced, and rightfully so. It’s awesome, and I expect the games and environments to live up to that billing. It’s organic and chosen by the supporters. Chisel it in stone.

For both, 2019 promises to be a historic campaign, which up the stakes even more.

Salvation came to Columbus, and they celebrated heartily on Wednesday as Tim Bezbatchenko and Caleb Porter were introduced as the club’s first president and head coach under the new ownership group led by the Haslam and Edwards families. The club has a future again, and that future is extremely bright. You can listen to both outline their visions on Thursday’s ExtraTime Radio.

FC Cincinnati, meanwhile, are preparing for Year 1 in MLS. They’re undefeated against their in-state rivals thanks to a 2017 U.S. Open Cup victory at Nippert Stadium. They’ve got an established fan culture, a new stadium on the way and a chip on their shoulder. They might need a pick-me-up in August, and the rivalry could provide that.

The drive is less than two hours. Those are gonna be some incredible away days...

18 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Wiebe: 5 Big Questions the day before the SuperDraft

...With the schedule officially out, what match am I most looking forward to in 2019?

Three words: Hell is real.

That sign, which you see on the drive from Columbus to Cincinnati, is the inspiration for the name of the rivalry between the clubs, a moniker both have embraced, and rightfully so. It’s awesome, and I expect the games and environments to live up to that billing. It’s organic and chosen by the supporters. Chisel it in stone.

For both, 2019 promises to be a historic campaign, which up the stakes even more.

Salvation came to Columbus, and they celebrated heartily on Wednesday as Tim Bezbatchenko and Caleb Porter were introduced as the club’s first president and head coach under the new ownership group led by the Haslam and Edwards families. The club has a future again, and that future is extremely bright. You can listen to both outline their visions on Thursday’s ExtraTime Radio.

FC Cincinnati, meanwhile, are preparing for Year 1 in MLS. They’re undefeated against their in-state rivals thanks to a 2017 U.S. Open Cup victory at Nippert Stadium. They’ve got an established fan culture, a new stadium on the way and a chip on their shoulder. They might need a pick-me-up in August, and the rivalry could provide that.

The drive is less than two hours. Those are gonna be some incredible away days...

Possibly the most badass rivalry name. 

• Like 1

The Crew is in great hands. I think they are going to have a huge upswing in attendance now that ownership actually wants the team to succeed and has hired great people to make it happen. 

On 1/16/2019 at 7:24 AM, Zip_ME87 said:

I think they are going to have a huge upswing in attendance now

They better support the Black and Gold better than in the past.  Even during the discussed exit, when they were having rally games to show support, the seats were only 3/4 full in a small stadium.  I go to 6 to 8 matches a season, and was very disappointed in the attitude of the fan base when they should have been showing support with their $$$