If I was the Haslams right about now I'd be second guessing my purchase.  I have watched three Crew matches on FoxSports Ohio and have been appalled by the fanbase who made such a fuss about saving them and staying in Columbus, only to see more yellow seats in the stadium than ones filled with real live fans.  I was assured by Columbus fans that the fanbase would come out in force....where are they?  Right now watching vs. Portland, and that's the best you can do Columbus?  The entire upper deck is empty, and other than about 50% in the middle, the last third of each end is empty on the bottom....What gives?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

What percentage capacity tonight vs. DC United?  35%.?  Less?

my guess was just about 40%, but they sure kept the angles of the upper deck pretty tight...like a Zips football game!

According to Columbus Business First:

Columbus may have successfully saved its Major League Soccer team, but the community-wide campaign to #SavetheCrew isn't translating to more fans in the seats so far this season.

According to Soccer Stadium Digest, the Crew SC ranks 18th out of 22 teams in Major League Soccer for attendance this season, averaging around 12,383 per home game and a grand total of 49,533 fans this season.

"Attendance numbers could be better," Pete Edwards, the team's co-owner, said in an email.

"We are working to provide a winning team on the pitch that fans will want to support and see play," Edwards said. "We want a great game day experience so fans enjoy coming to games and we want to partner with the community so fans are proud of their team. It is a process that we are fully committed to and we are sure that attendance will build as the community gets excited about their team."

Here's the game-by-game breakdown of the season attendance so far, provided by a team spokesman:

March 2: 17,931 fans

March 30: 9,687 fans

April 6: 10,942 fans

Yuck....

• 1 year later...

https://www.massivereport.com/2021/3/9/22321915/columbus-crew-announce-staff-additions-for-2021

...Gavin comes to the Crew from the USL Championship. The Black & Gold’s new video analyst was the assistant coach for Phoenix Rising FC the last three years in USL. He is also a former MLS player from 2010-17 where he made appearances for Chivas USA, the Seattle Sounders and the New England Revolution. Gavin played college soccer for Akron under current Crew head coach Caleb Porter. ...

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another draw snatched from the jaws of victory at the last second. WTF? Crew drop below the playoff line and Miami move into the last playoff spot in part thanks to DeAndre Yedlin's beautiful cross / assist on Higuain's game-winning goal.

Edited by Zip_ME87

Is it just CBus, or is it a growing trend in most sports now?

Whether it’s auto racing, baseball, hell anything outside the NFL attendance is horrible. Fans still watch the games, but in their air conditioned home on their wall-sized TV. Where the food doesn’t require a second mortgage and doesn’t taste like the wrapper.

Price gouging over the years doesn’t help, where you pay a fee for the privilege of buying the tickets, then the high local entertainment tax. 

Not that cable companies and cable channels aren’t in out wallet as well, but that’s a different rant for another day.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 8:52 AM, AkronAlumnus said:

Caleb Porter is the HC. He won the cup in 2020 but he's gotten too comfortable and is borderline wasting our talent now

Gotcha. I don’t disagree unfortunately. He seems to have lost the team. They've brought in a lot of talent…

• Like 1