Game 14- Western Michigan Broncos

clarkwgriswold

The MAC season kicks off next Saturday at the JAR as the 6-7 Western Michigan Broncos come to town.   WMU has wins against Detroit, Oakland, Aquinas, Southern, YSU and UC Riverside and losses to Cincinnati, Michigan, Milwaukee, Dayton, USC Upstate, NIcholls State and Ole Miss.  They beat Detroit Mercy by 13 while the Zips beat the Titans by 12.  6-1 sophomore guard Michael Flowers leads the Broncos in scoring at 16.2 ppg while 7 foot senior center Seth Dugan scores 15.1 ppg.  Dugan leads the Broncos in rebounding at 8.4 rpg.  Last year, they were 17-15 overall and 9-9 in the MAC. 

They are still coached by Steve Hawkins, who is coaching the Broncos for a 16th season.  They were picked to be the 4th place team in the West in the preseason MAC poll.

• Like 1

The last time these two teams met was one of the most effed up Zips games I've ever experienced.  Was absolutely soul crushing for the Broncos.  I hear some boos in the crowd.  Wow, KLac, Malcolm, Parrish, Patton on the floor at the end.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Thanks 1

Cotton won at least 2 games for us on clutch plays.  We have lost several close games when we have not had a player who can make a game winning shot.   Who will finally be the player this year to step forward and win us a game.  I am banking on Banks.  My pick to take the game winning shot.

• Like 2

On 12/30/2018 at 6:51 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Amazing. Truly. 

No coach does more with mediocre talent than Hawkins.  Notice, the years his teams perform best have been when expectations have been very low.  When his team is seen as a contender, they tend to fall on their faces.  He's also the best surfer among all MAC coaches, and the one who would best fit on the set of a Minions film!  <3 Steve!

1 hour ago, Z.I.P. said:

No coach does more with mediocre talent than Hawkins.  Notice, the years his teams perform best have been when expectations have been very low.  When his team is seen as a contender, they tend to fall on their faces.  He's also the best surfer among all MAC coaches, and the one who would best fit on the set of a Minions film!  <3 Steve!

After 16 years, mediocre talent isn't an excuse; it's a flaw. 

I have nothing against Steve, and am thankful WMU has kept him around for so long as to guarantee their ceiling is beatable by the Zips. Just incredible that he has been with WMU for 16 years. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

Game day.  Curious to see where our player rotation for MAC play is after the OOC schedule.  Obviously, LCJ, Utomi, Ivey, Cheese or Banks, Riak, Banks or Cheese as the first six. I'd think Banks will start as Cheese needs to play backup point in addition to playing some 2.   Looks like Sayles is now the second big man, with E-man seeing fewer minutes.  Hopefully, Roscoe has earned some minutes back after a couple of rough weeks.  I don't think we can count on Toles at this point and I think Scotty Walter and K-lack can settle into comfortable seats on the bench in league play.  

GO ZIPS!

6 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Game day.  Curious to see where our player rotation for MAC play is after the OOC schedule.  Obviously, LCJ, Utomi, Ivey, Cheese or Banks, Riak, Banks or Cheese as the first six. I'd think Banks will start as Cheese needs to play backup point in addition to playing some 2.   Looks like Sayles is now the second big man, with E-man seeing fewer minutes.  Hopefully, Roscoe has earned some minutes back after a couple of rough weeks.  I don't think we can count on Toles at this point and I think Scotty Walter and K-lack can settle into comfortable seats on the bench in league play.  

GO ZIPS!

Can't argue with any of your thoughts, and I agree on Sayles as #2 big.  E-man has regressed to me, but if he was just a little more determined (?) he could battle back.  Not bad to have both, since K-Lac is "lacking" still.  Banks gets the start for me over Cheese.

1 hour ago, ZipsVoice said:

Can't argue with any of your thoughts, and I agree on Sayles as #2 big.  E-man has regressed to me, but if he was just a little more determined (?) he could battle back.  Not bad to have both, since K-Lac is "lacking" still.  Banks gets the start for me over Cheese.

I think Banks starting makes more sense as Cheese also has to put in minutes backing up Jackson.  If the above guys work out as guessed, that's a 9 man rotation which is enough.  Just wish we had a back up point other than Cheese (not that I am unhappy with him).

Our strength is in our wings, Ivey, Utomi, Banks and Cheese.  I was a little disappointed with LCJ the last game.  With his quickness he should be able to beat just about anyone off the dribble.  Would like him to take it to the hoop or pass off to a center for a dunk.  Our weakness is our 5 position.  We keep waiting for someone to have a breakout game and it has not happened.  I agree that E man has regressed.  He was a great shot blocker his first year and had shown spurts of offense but this year he has struggled and is our 3 or 4 the center.  He was off B ball for 9 months and I think he would actually benefit from a red shirt.  

The key to the game is whether this team will get off to a quick start.  We always seem slow out of the gate.  Also, this team loves the 3 ball.  If we can shoot the 3 ball at or near 40% I think this team will be tough to beat.  The other key is rebounding.  This team sometimes forgets to box out.  We need to pound the boards and need everyone to rebound.  Hoping for the Zips to blow Western out.  Go Zips!