2019 Preseason

Dr Z

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

I have confidence in both Lubin and Riley, but they've each got very little experience. They could both end up being great players, but banking on them is pretty risky, IMO. With our depth of safeties (Davis, Featherstone, Hooks, Jacobs, Hall, Adetutu, and incoming Corey Thomas), I wonder if they don't look at moving one of them to CB at least for this year. I wouldn't mind one of our extra schollies going to a grad transfer CB to add some depth at the position. With what we have coming back and the recruiting class, I don't think I'm too worried about the front 7 and def not worried about the safeties.

I expect the offense to take a big step forward. Our OL has another year experience and is healthy and some of our younger players who weren't ready last year should be ready now (RJ Kelly, Fonte, Devin Jordan).

Would hope the offense will be more consistently productive than in the past few seasons. I was briefly looking at some Tenn-Chatt game highlights. Noticed some things about that offense. Arth runs a with wing back consistently. One back set from the shotgun. But also noticed used an actual tight end frequently in the highlights I saw. He also had the QB under center at times and ran from a one back AND I-formation from that set. Looks like a little more 'power' running than we have seen recently.

I wonder then if Arth is going to go with Kato at the QB? I just wonder if he is going to take a long look at Ramart or somebody else he brings in. I didn't notice their QB doing too much running. Could have just been the game I was watching.

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

Not according to our 2019 spring roster.

I thought the same thing...when he signed it was like “hey, Corner ‘s a corner!”  I looked it up to correct zzx, and LZip’s right, listed as an LB!

Yeah, that's interesting.  Corner was a 1st Team D-1 All-Ohio LB in high school, but the plan was to convert him to safety.  That's an awfully small LB.  If we'd play Corner, DiLauro & Bubba at the same time we'd have the smallest LB crew in the nation:

Corner: 5-9, 195

DiLauro: 5-10, 215

Bubba: 5-9, 220

Great high school LB's, but...

On 3/7/2019 at 10:51 PM, ZipsVoice said:

I thought the same thing...when he signed it was like “hey, Corner ‘s a corner!”  I looked it up to correct zzx, and LZip’s right, listed as an LB!

I saw it but just disreguarded the roster position notation for Corner on GoZips.com, after all they once had Arslanian listed as over 6 feet. I'd be very surprised if Corner's not competeing for a spot in the defensive backfield.   

Edited by UA1987
  • Like 1

I have not looked at the updated roster in-depth yet, but I did notice East's Jeramulin Suggs is no longer on it. If he's really the only loss from the transition, I think our staff did a hell of a job with player retention.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

I have not looked at the updated roster in-depth yet, but I did notice East's Jeramulin Suggs is no longer on it. If he's really the only loss from the transition, I think our staff did a hell of a job with player retention.

I swear he was on the roster a couple weeks ago....must have been a recent decision....actually while I was reviewing the roster for my pre-season picks here for MVPs, I thought I saw his name.

On 3/9/2019 at 1:19 PM, LZIp said:

4 minutes of video for the first practice! I think I might see Alvin at corner.

Spring prospectus also: https://gozips.com/documents/2019/3/8//2019_Spring_Prospectus.pdf?id=13688

My first impression of this is that our team is going to be very well conditioned and very sharp when it comes to fundamentals. Those were the things that had a lot to do with John Wooden's success at UCLA. I saw a documentary where Bill Walton complained about having to tie his shoes a certain way every time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

ABJ: Coach Tom Arth prefers direct approach with quarterbacks

Article mentions QB's Kato & Robbie Kelley, and Coach Arth even mentions T.J. Deshields (in the accompanying video), but, surprisingly, no mention of Alex Ramart.

As usual, very astute B & G.  I was wondering the same thing.  I was thinking is this George's usually inept, or at least incomplete reporting, or is AR gone, hurt, ??  Not much activity here from his camp, either :ninja:

UPDATE:  Alex's Twitter page still shows Max Zip football activity, so leaning towards bad George....:rofl:

Edited by ZipsVoice
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ZipsVoice said:

As usual, very astute B & G.  I was wondering the same thing.  I was thinking is this George's usually inept, or at least incomplete reporting, or is AR gone, hurt, ??  Not much activity here from his camp, either :ninja:

UPDATE:  Alex's Twitter page still shows Max Zip football activity, so leaning towards bad George....:rofl:

Alex is in video’s #12, seems fine & full participant, Coach May have just accidentally missed mentioning him, not as exciting but it does at least seem he is using Kelley to push Kato

On 3/8/2019 at 7:07 AM, Blue & Gold said:

Yeah, that's interesting.  Corner was a 1st Team D-1 All-Ohio LB in high school, but the plan was to convert him to safety.  That's an awfully small LB.  If we'd play Corner, DiLauro & Bubba at the same time we'd have the smallest LB crew in the nation:

Corner: 5-9, 195

DiLauro: 5-10, 215

Bubba: 5-9, 220

Great high school LB's, but...

http://sportstreatise.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-rise-of-undersized-linebacker.html

• Like 1