2019 Preseason

Dr Z

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/27/2019 at 2:23 PM, 94zipgrad said:

The way I understand the defense it is not a strict typical 3-4, depends on down and situation, Can be a 4-3 in some situations, Sampson & Ward can stand up or finger down.  They moved Meeks back to defensive line,  all state HS linebacker but big enough to play that down DE,  not sure exactly, can’t wait to see

I understand RB is a serious concern & QB & WR’s may be busy on Saturdays 

94zipgrad - Very early, but any idea who will be starting where on the offensive line? 

Edited by UA1987

34 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

94zipgrad - Very early, but any idea who will be starting where on the offensive line? 

I have no idea at any position lol.  I’m excited to see a depth chart.  I hear rumors, that’s it.  Different staff, different opinions on talent, some position changes, just opinion but seems like it’s not all about talent, seems like they weigh in effort, intelligence, leadership

Dont know if it will bring victories but I like what I see and I’m a little prouder to be an alumni, let’s hope I’m not the only one & some people come to games

9 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

I have no idea at any position lol.  I’m excited to see a depth chart.  I hear rumors, that’s it.  Different staff, different opinions on talent, some position changes, just opinion but seems like it’s not all about talent, seems like they weigh in effort, intelligence, leadership

Dont know if it will bring victories but I like what I see and I’m a little prouder to be an alumni, let’s hope I’m not the only one & some people come to games

I saw a video clip with Brown, Corne, Peterson, Council, and Kallay together talking it up. Kallay may have finally broke thru to start? This would be a pretty big o-line. I'm sure others are in the mix.    

that wasnt Corne, it was Sample & I don’t think those were all starters, what I’ve seen in clips is Muldowney is at right tackle a lot & Council moves back to guard, Brown still at Left tackle but it’s all just putting pieces together & a guess.  If you rewatch clip it has there names.  Corne was in classroom clip right at beginning 

1 hour ago, 94zipgrad said:

that wasnt Corne, it was Sample & I don’t think those were all starters, what I’ve seen in clips is Muldowney is at right tackle a lot & Council moves back to guard, Brown still at Left tackle but it’s all just putting pieces together & a guess.  If you rewatch clip it has there names.  Corne was in classroom clip right at beginning 

I like what I hear from the o-line coach Zagorski. I have increasing confidence he will get it right. 

• Like 1

I didn't go one by one down the list, but I believe all of our signees actually made it to campus. How refreshing! For sake of discussion:

1) What freshman will be the biggest contributor this year? Hayes-Patrick seems like an easy choice, but some of the DBs are starting off strong as well, like Cochran and McDonald and I believe there is some opportunity there.

2) What new member of the team will be the biggest contributor (including fresh, JUCO, transfer, etc)?

3) Returning player who takes the biggest step forward on offense and defense under the new coaching staff?

Edited by LZIp

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

I didn't go one by one down the list, but I believe all of our signees actually made it to campus. How refreshing! For sake of discussion:

1) What freshman will be the biggest contributor this year? Hayes-Patrick seems like an easy choice, but some of the DBs are starting off strong as well, like Cochran and McDonald and I believe there is some opportunity there.

2) What new member of the team will be the biggest contributor (including fresh, JUCO, transfer, etc)?

3) Returning player who takes the biggest step forward on offense and defense under the new coaching staff?

Newcomer contributor- Micheal Scott

Returning player step forward - Jeremiah Knight 

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Interesting tidbit from the end of the article that Morris says he's done for the season while Arth states no decision has been made.  Arth quote- “We met today. We have not met with the doctors yet. Jonah has not seen a doctor for his knee, so there’s no decision being made,” he said. “It’s our hope we’re able to rehab him. He may miss a few more days, but hopefully we’ll get him back next week.”

It seems that Keyondre White has fallen off the map at RB. Could be that his weight ballooned and his speed dropped. Seems like that could have been addressed during the off season. The Zips must be focusing on bringing this guy back to fulfill his potential. After Alce left, Akron needs White to step up (and away from the lasagne).         

Edited by UA1987

On 8/7/2019 at 7:19 AM, UA1987 said:

I went back and looked at all the clips that have been released & things I’ve seen around & again this is just from what I’ve seen with Kato presuming #1’s.  Center Peterson, lg council, LT brown, the right side looks to be a competition, several different players have been in there

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, UA1987 said:

It seems that Keyondre White has fallen off the map at RB. Could be that his weight ballooned and his speed dropped. Seems like that could have been addressed during the off season. The Zips must be focusing on bringing this guy back to fulfill his potential. After Alce left, Akron needs White to step up (and away from the lasagne).         

Mmm...lasagne ?

Looking at the roster, I see that the DL has added some good size, and I hope that they are equally talented.  The DL was my serious concern a couple of months ago.  I also looked at the list of seniors and red shirt seniors.  Based on the performance from last year, it looks a little thin.  I hope I am wrong.  What other returning seniors had a good year last year beside the following: Lako, Featherstone, Brown, and Davis.  Maybe add Ward to the list, and I am hoping Jest steps up.  Please let us know what other players will provide senior leadership and results.  Otherwise, we will be really counting on the underclassmen.  

11 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Looking at the roster, I see that the DL has added some good size, and I hope that they are equally talented.  The DL was my serious concern a couple of months ago.  I also looked at the list of seniors and red shirt seniors.  Based on the performance from last year, it looks a little thin.  I hope I am wrong.  What other returning seniors had a good year last year beside the following: Lako, Featherstone, Brown, and Davis.  Maybe add Ward to the list, and I am hoping Jest steps up.  Please let us know what other players will provide senior leadership and results.  Otherwise, we will be really counting on the underclassmen.  

I would definitely, as you pointed out, add Ward to the list of senior leaders.  Even if he's not a starter, his positive attitude is contagious.  Though you've probably listed all of our senior leaders.  I'm hoping Deltron Sands has a good senior season & goes out on top.  

I can't believe Alvin Davis is a senior.  Time flies.

ABJ: Finding a running game high on list of priorities for Zips

1. Bad news?  Good news?:   "After Tuesday's late afternoon practice, Arth said there was no leader in the clubhouse for the starting (RB) job..."

2. I love the cohesiveness the guys obviously have as a unit.

3.  No mention of Peter Hayes-Patrick or Keyondre White in the article.

4.  The bottom of the article states Jonah Morris did indeed have season-ending surgery and that Julian Hicks got nicked up yesterday. Perhaps a shoulder sprain.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1