2019 Preseason

Dr Z

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/7/2019 at 12:18 PM, LZIp said:

I didn't go one by one down the list, but I believe all of our signees actually made it to campus. How refreshing! For sake of discussion:

1) What freshman will be the biggest contributor this year? Hayes-Patrick seems like an easy choice, but some of the DBs are starting off strong as well, like Cochran and McDonald and I believe there is some opportunity there.

2) What new member of the team will be the biggest contributor (including fresh, JUCO, transfer, etc)?

3) Returning player who takes the biggest step forward on offense and defense under the new coaching staff?

1)  I have to go Hayes-Patrick. Sands has been injury prone throughout his career, everyone else is pretty unproven, and Reese is apparently no longer on the team. I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't end up getting opportunity this season for one reason or another, though that would probably be a good thing (other backs healthy/doing well). My second choice is one of the freshman DBs. If I have to pick a name, i'll say Adetutu. Just a real lack of depth/unproven players there, especially at CB.

2) Demetrick Watts. Dude was a baller in D2, which isn't saying much, but I think he is more proven than any of our other newcomers. I recall a story about how our coaches thought he was too small for an offer, then they saw him in person and offered on the spot. I've also heard his name mentioned in some clips..so he seems to be doing well. Hicks is my second choice, especially with Jonah Morris out.

3) I'm tempted to go Justin Sampson, as he's a great athlete who I think can thrive in more of an explicit pass-rushing type position on the edge..but I haven't heard much about him so far. However,  considering our head coach, the importance of the position, and the positive attitude I've seen from him so far...I think I am going to go Kato.

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

ABJ: Zips' defensive success could depend on leaders stepping up

Article focuses on John Lako & Alvin Davis, while also mentioning Shawn Featherstone & Josh Ward.

I thought his injury last year was a major turning point in the season. Never seemed to recover in the secondary in his absence. 

• Like 2