Game 15. Central Michigan

The 9-5 Zips hit the road to face the 12-2 Chippewas this Tuesday.  CMU's losses have come to TCU and Weber State.  They played a very unimpressive OOC schedule. They were picked to finish last in the West in the MAC pre-season poll.  6-2 senior guard Larry Austin Jr., who started at Xavier then transferred to Vanderbilt then to CMU,  leads the Chipps at 19.2 ppg and 9 rpg.  They also return the second, third and fourth leading scorers from last year's squad, Shawn Roundtree, David DiLeo and Kevin McKay.

22 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The 9-5 Zips hit the road to face the 12-2 Chippewas this Tuesday.  CMU's losses have come to TCU and Weber State.  They played a very unimpressive OOC schedule. They were picked to finish last in the West in the MAC pre-season poll.  6-2 senior guard Larry Austin Jr., who started at Xavier then transferred to Vanderbilt then to CMU,  leads the Chipps at 19.2 ppg and 9 rpg.  They also return the second, third and fourth leading scorers from last year's squad, Shawn Roundtree, David DiLeo and Kevin McKay.

That's, uhhhh, hmmm... heck of a path to get to CMU. 

Really good first road test. 

Watching the WMU game it seemed Dugan, whose listed at 7', really disrupted our inside game. Either by altering shot attempts or by discouraging shots all together with his help defense. CMU starting front court consists of 6'7 DiLeo and 6'6 Montgomery. I'd like to see our guards attack early and get some easy buckets in hopes of building confidence. Maybe then we'll see the 3's start to fall.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Watching the WMU game it seemed Dugan, whose listed at 7', really disrupted our inside game. Either by altering shot attempts or by discouraging shots all together with his help defense. CMU starting front court consists of 6'7 DiLeo and 6'6 Montgomery. I'd like to see our guards attack early and get some easy buckets in hopes of building confidence. Maybe then we'll see the 3's start to fall.

I noticed the same thing.  Our spacing sucked.  Our center stood near the basket and their center just stood in the lane and double teamed the ball when it got to the lane.  We could not get the ball to our center. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

Do we have an inside game? I feel like that is our biggest weakness this season.

We don't have a post up big, which is a definite weakness, but we have some guards who have shown the ability to attack the basket. Tyler Cheese is one that comes to mind. LCJ is another that I see attacking the basket a lot. 

Sayles I think has the potential to develop into a pretty decent post player. He's already shown some pretty decent footwork. He needs to work on his touch near the basket.

• Like 2

Sayles seems to do best in transition.  His low post footwork is improving.  He made a beautiful move in the post Saturday to go by a guy then missed a bunny.  Ugh.

All of our big guys could take a boxing out lesson from LCJ.  I've seen a guy that small so willing to find his guy and get into him to box him out. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, blueandgold said:

Do we have an inside game? I feel like that is our biggest weakness this season.

I very much agree with the general sentiment of this conversation. Our bigs are lagging way behind the developmental curve. And the missed bunnies, so many missed bunnies by everyone has been very frustrating to watch. I too, am waiting for someone to claim the mantle as our back to the basket post-up player. But I also keep waiting for someone to get the green light to take more than one outside shot here and there. Give me a big who can get hot from the arch or even the mid-range and I will show you a wide open lane for our guards to attack.

Edited by Illini Zip

24 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

But I also keep waiting for someone to get the green light to take more than one outside shot here and there. Give me a big who can get hot from the arch or even the mid-range and I will show you a wide open lane for our guards to attack.

His name is Xeyrius Williams and unfortunately he isn't elgible to play until next season.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

His name is Xeyrius Williams and unfortunately he isn't elgible to play until next season.

I am excited to see what Williams brings to the team next year because the videos show a much needed versatile big. But just to give everyone a reminder of how far our bigs need to improve to get this offense humming properly, everyone in a Zips uniform should have the versatility of Ivey and LCJ. Just like Clarkwgriswold points out, LCJ battles guys a foot taller than himself in the paint on a switch and so to our 7 foot center needs to be able to dribble the basketball up the court if necessary to break a press. Each player will have their strengths, but there needs to be a base level of effectiveness across all basketball disciplines. We might be a couple years away before we meet these expectations. Hopefully our bigs are still improving in practice.

Edited by Illini Zip

2 hours ago, The Hip Zip said:

In the ratings that I use , CMU  ranks 320 in strength of schedule played thus far. Another more basic rating system has them at 352 which is next to last in the nation. They are the lowest in the MAC and by a large margin. 

Well they should get a significant bump up by playing us :rock:

Looking forward to tonights game but it is difficult to predict a win considering this is almost a completely new roster, we were terrible on the road last year and lost our first 9 MAC road games,  our shooting sucked last game and we have been unable to win a close game. 

The good news is that we are playing good defense, have a very athletic team that pushes the ball up the court, Ivey played like a beast last game, and Central has played a very weak out of conference schedule.

Being an optimist I am going to predict a win in a close game with Ivey, Banks or Jackson making a clutch shot.  Go Zips!