Game 15. Central Michigan

I was only listening but it sounded like a lot of our missed 3s led to breakouts for CMU. The game definitely sped up in the 2nd half....to our detriment.

Sounds like they battled hard though.

Edited by zipfan84
Spelling.

This team still needs to learn to close out games.  We were terrible on the pick and roll on the second half.  Jackson saw the screen and started leaning that way giving his man an open path to the basket.  I still like the way this team plays.  Ivey made a couple of clutch free throws.  What are the chances of an air ball rebound and then nice fake on the 3 ball.  Just bad luck.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

This team still needs to learn to close out games.  We were terrible on the pick and roll on the second half.  Jackson saw the screen and started leaning that way giving his man an open path to the basket.  I still like the way this team plays.  Ivey made a couple of clutch free throws.  What are the chances of an air ball rebound and then nice fake on the 3 ball.  Just bad luck.   

Bad luck, but incredibly bad foul by Ivey.  

7 minutes ago, zipfan84 said:

Glad to hear a little displeasure from Groce in the postgame. Defense in the 2nd half was abysmal!

On their game winning basket Riak needed to step up quicker.  I did not see a push off but Jackson needs to keep his man in front of him.  His second half defense was bad and he put pressure on our big men as a rim protector.  I still think this team will get better and we will close out a close game this season.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Oh goodie. Are we playing horseshoes or hand grenades?

You're talking to someone who just watched the Bears lose a playoff game to the Eagles with a double-clank off the goal post. So yes, it is all starting to feel like horseshoes and hand grenades to me right now.

I am late to commenting and I already "liked" all the comments critical of the second half defense and the stupid foul in the corner. As frustrating as tonight's loss is, I do think the whole losing 6 games by a total of 20 points is something to discuss. How much of it is learning to finish games? I mean we had some good looks for the win that didn't go down. Is it that we lack a cold-blooded closer? Did we get tight as a team and forget to play the right way down the stretch? There is a road-game component. I don't know, maybe it's a bit of all of it. But according to Kenpom math, there is only one other team who has fans that are more pissed off than we are with the close loses a record that doesn't match expectations and that's Mercer.

Correction: I took a look at Mercer's schedule and their loses were not always close so I was reading the "Luck" column the wrong way. Kenpom "Luck" is the deviation in winning percentage between a team's actual record and their expected record using the correlated gaussian method. Correlated gaussian method, any statisticians in the house?

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Like 1

Anyone know what's up with Roscoe's lack of PT?  Earlier in the year I liked what he gave us, but he's beginning to look tentative while he's in there.  A lack of PT & a short leash will do that.  I hope Groce doesn't ruin his psyche.

Walter getting meaningful minutes.  I like his D.  I'd like to see him hoist a 3 once in a while.

29 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Anyone know what's up with Roscoe's lack of PT?  Earlier in the year I liked what he gave us, but he's beginning to look tentative while he's in there.  A lack of PT & a short leash will do that.  I hope Groce doesn't ruin his psyche.

Walter getting meaningful minutes.  I like his D.  I'd like to see him hoist a 3 once in a while.

I didn't even realize Roscoe got in for 3 minutes last night. No idea what's going on there.

• Like 1