Game 16- Northern Illinois Huskies

The 9-6 Zips visit the 9-6 Huskies this weekend in lovely DeKalb, Illinois.  DeKalb is home to the annual Corn Fest which is usually held in late August.  The town is named after Baron Johann de Kalb, a major general in the American Revolutionary War.

The Huskies are 2-0 in the MAC having beaten OU and Miami.  They are led by 6 foot junior guard Eugene German (one of the least athletic names I've ever heard) at 20.7 ppg.  6-9 senior forward James Lacey leads rebounding at 7.3 rpg.   The Huskies average 79.6 ppg and give up 72.7 ppg.  Coach Mark Montgomery has led the Huskies since 2011.

18 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Thank you, Clark :bow:. I was about to tag you in the CMU thread asking you to create the NIU thread. The way we finished down the stretch was flat out disgusting. I want to move on and look ahead.

Always happy to do it and ALWAYS eager to move on after a tough one.  I damn near created the Tennessee State thread before the Marshall game was over! 

• Haha 2

NIU has beaten Rockford, Illinois Tech, Oral Roberts, Oakland, UC Davis, Western Illinois, Chicago State, Ohio and Miami and lost to James Madison, Green Bay, Butler. Northern Kentucky and Michigan State.  They beat Chicago State by 41 while the Zips beat them by 39.  The Zips beat the Huskies at the JAR last year 82-67 and have won 3 in a row against the Huskies.

28 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

In an interview a week or two ago I’m pretty sure Groce said they were flying.

FWIW, Khadim Gueye is still listed on the GoZips dot com roster.

So is soccer assistant coach Leo Chappell...been gone since the WMU game.....just sayin'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

In an interview a week or two ago I’m pretty sure Groce said they were flying.

FWIW, Khadim Gueye is still listed on the GoZips dot com roster.

I consider the SID's Game Notes a more current, reliable source than the website.  Especially since others have said he has not been on the sidelines lately. Then again his name was last in the roster box, maybe it dropped off the bottom of the page. ;)

4 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

I consider the SID's Game Notes a more current, reliable source than the website.  Especially since others have said he has not been on the sidelines lately. Then again his name was last in the roster box, maybe it dropped off the bottom of the page. ;)

This was going to hit the news eventually. Totally unprovoked by Kostelac.

UA basketball player charged with assaulting teammate, suspended indefinitely

https://www.ohio.com/sports/20190111/ua-basketball-player-charged-with-assaulting-teammate-suspended-indefinitely

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

https://www.ohio.com/sports/20190111/ua-basketball-player-charged-with-assaulting-teammate-suspended-indefinitely

Wow!  Based on the severity of the attack he is lucky to be charged only with Assault and not Felonious Assault.   Does a transfer student who is sitting out practice with the team?  I wonder if something happened at practice that precipitated the attack.  I do not think that you would punch another player for no reason.

Edited by 1981 grad

49 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Well, ummmmm, I guess that's why K-lac looked like he had been beaten as noticed by NWAkron a couple of weeks ago.

In short, good riddance.  No room for that.

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

Wow!  Based on the severity of the attack he is lucky to be charged only with Assault and not Felonious Assault.   Does a transfer student who is sitting out practice with the team?  I wonder if something happened at practice that precipitated the attack.  I do not think that you would punch another player for no reason.

Mark or maybe the University probably didn't want him to face automatic deportation and asked that he not be charged with a felony. (that is total speculation on my part).  However, considering Mark is the victim, he likely he had a say in the charges.  What a sad situation.

Regarding the drive to the hospital, there is probably more to that aspect than is written in that article.  The police report also may have mischaracterized what happened.  Maybe someone else drove him.

Edited by NWAkron

33 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

Results so far do not give me much faith in the health of this program under Groce. We will now have lost both of his key transfers before they set foot on the court. 

I hope he proves me wrong, but I am not feeling optimistic.

What makes this guy a key transfer anymore than say a Riak or LCJ?

• Like 1