Game 16- Northern Illinois Huskies

1 hour ago, RowdyZip said:

Results so far do not give me much faith in the health of this program under Groce. We will now have lost both of his key transfers before they set foot on the court. 

I hope he proves me wrong, but I am not feeling optimistic.

I'm not so concerned about the loss of a transfer or two.  That's the nature of the business and frankly, very obviously, the nature of the kids that transfer.  I am much more concerned that the altercation got to that point.  Those types of attacks don't usually go directly from zero to full blown assaults.  There's usually a pretty obvious sign something is coming.

This is on the level of a felonious assault, though it is charged as a misdemeanor.  I assume there's some student disciplinary process in the works in addition to the team suspension.

1 hour ago, RowdyZip said:

Not arguing those guys aren't playing key roles, especially LCJ, but these were the potential star high-major transfers.  Very disheartening.

I think Xeyrius Williams has way more potential than Gueye. USC might be a bigger school, but Williams proved that he can compete but was left by his coach and never got along with the new one. Gueye failed miserably at USC and transferred due to lack of playing time. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Wow!  Based on the severity of the attack he is lucky to be charged only with Assault and not Felonious Assault.   Does a transfer student who is sitting out practice with the team?  I wonder if something happened at practice that precipitated the attack.  I do not think that you would punch another player for no reason.

Holy sh*t!
He must be a bruiser, K-Lac is one of the last people I could imagine wanting to fight. Might not be the greatest BB player, but that is one big dude.

2 hours ago, UAZippers said:

I think Xeyrius Williams has way more potential than Gueye. USC might be a bigger school, but Williams proved that he can compete but was left by his coach and never got along with the new one. Gueye failed miserably at USC and transferred due to lack of playing time. 

Gueye is gone. We lost Tree over way less. This is nonsense.

2 hours ago, UAZippers said:

We have Xeyrius for one season. We can't act like losing a serviceable and developable 7' talent. Gueye would've had what, 3 years as a Zips? Guess that's one way to clear up a scholly.

1 minute ago, RowdyZip said:

We have Xeyrius for one season. We can't act like losing a serviceable and developable 7' talent. Gueye would've had what, 3 years as a Zips? Guess that's one way to clear up a scholly.

Gueye would have played for 2 years. I agree that it sucks to lose any player before we get a chance to see what he can do. 

A blurb from an article on Gueye on his leaving SC-

"Gueye, a Senegal native, was used sparingly over his two-year career. He appeared in 45 games, recording a total of 11 points and 38 rebounds. After logging 13 minutes at Tennessee on Feb. 13, Gueye didn’t play again in 2017-18." 

I am not going to lose sleep over his loss.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

Holy sh*t!
He must be a bruiser, K-Lac is one of the last people I could imagine wanting to fight. Might not be the greatest BB player, but that is one big dude.

It’s not a fight if he came from behind and starts swinging. The police report said he hit mark when he wasn’t looking. Thats a coward afraid to square up.  Doubt we’ve heard the last of this and sure seems like grounds for a felony to me. A real black eye to the program and to Groce. Khadiem obviously has no respect for the coaching staff or team.  Good riddens

Edited by Akronfan111

Great to see Utomi attacking the basket.  Lately he has only been shooting the 3 ball.  He is so strong he should be scoring more inside.  When he misses his 3 ball they are usually short.  If he would follow his shot he would get at least 1 offensive rebound a game.  I hate watching players pose after they take a 3 .  If I were a college coach I would make them run if I ever saw a player posing during a game.   

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Akronfan111 said:

It’s not a fight if he came from behind and starts swinging. The police report said he hit mark when he wasn’t looking. Thats a coward afraid to square up.  Doubt we’ve heard the last of this and sure seems like grounds for a felony to me. A real black eye to the program and to Groce. Khadiem obviously has no respect for the coaching staff or team.  Good riddens

Gueye would be smart to quickly plead "no contest" so double jeopardy attached to the incident.  However, sounds like decision made with police, prosecutor, and victim that this will be kept misdemeanor.   A felonious assault will send him further away than South Carolina...more like Senegal.